Revised: OR Will Gester Big Agnes Seedhouse Sl2

  • flappershurt
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005
      Owner Review - Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2 Tent

      Name: Will W. Gester
      Age: 16
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
      Weight: 130 lbs (59 Kg)
      Email Address: Becool64.at.gmail.com
      City, State: Birmingham, Alabama, USA
      Date: September 30, 2005

      Backpacking Background:

      When I was 10 I joined Boy Scouts and loved it. I first rented a
      tent and backpack and then for Christmas I received my first tent
      and backpack. I was obviously overjoyed. 3 tents, 4 backpacks and 3
      sleeping bags later I now go on trips twice a month. My highlights
      have been a Canadian Boundary Water trip and a trip in the Amazon. I
      usually carry a 30 lb (13.6 Kg) pack filled with lightweight gear. I
      love backpacking and especially cold weather backpacking.

      Product Information:

      Product: Seedhouse SL 2
      Manufacturer: Big Agnes
      Web Site: www.bigagnes.com
      MSRP: $299
      Year of Manufacture: 2005
      Capacity: 2 Person
      Type: 3 Season
      Floor Area: 28 sq ft (2.6 sq m)
      Height: 38 in (0.96 m)
      Length: 85 in (2.16 m)
      Width: 50 in (1.27 m)
      Measured Height: 37.5 in (0.94 m)
      Measured Length: 84 in (2 m)
      Measured Width: 50 in (1.27 m)
      Vestibule Area: 5.5 sq ft (1.7 sq m)
      Packed Size: 6.5 in x 16 in (16.5 cm x 40.6 cm)
      Listed Weight: 3lb 3oz. (1.45 Kg)
      Actual Weight: 3lb 1oz. (1.39 Kg)

      Product Description:

      When I bought the Seedhouse SL 2, it came in its dark green stuff
      sack. It felt unbelievably light compared to all of the other tents
      I had previously owned, used and seen in stores or out in the
      backcountry. The tent was also incredibly small at a little under a
      foot and a half (4.7 cm) lengthwise when packed. When I opened it up
      to set it up in my living room, it came out nicely rolled around the
      tent poles. The poles and stakes were in their own separate stuff
      sacks. The fly was wrapped around the tent. Overall it looked like a
      very simple and easy way to pack a tent.

      The Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 2 is a 2 person, 1-door, freestanding,
      triangular dome tent. The pole is an 8.84 mm DAC Featherlite pole
      with two hubs and 5 poles. The poles are connected together by the
      hubs to form one pole. Connected it looks like a stick figure with
      upraised arms. The pole sections are held together with a bungee.
      The instruction manual included is helpful but not necessary. This
      tent is very easy to set up.

      The tent itself is almost all mesh. The floor is 30D nylon ripstop
      with polyurethane and silicone coating. It has a bathtub floor with
      5 in (12.7 cm) walls. The rest of the tent is all mesh. 20D mesh
      forms the walls and the ceiling of the tent creating superb
      ventilation. There is a nice pocket on the large door side. The door
      is D-shaped and the seams are taped. The pole is connected to the
      tent by small clips. Having a one pole system makes the setup easier
      and less hassle than other two-pole tents. The fly is a very sturdy
      but thin and light material. The floor of the tent and the fly are
      the same material, 30D nylon ripstop with polyurethane and silicone
      coating. The fly connects to the tent with 4 clips. The storm fly
      over the door forms a nice size vestibule with enough area for a
      backpack and boots. The tent utilizes 9 stakes, 1 on each corner
      (4), 1 on each side except for the door side (3), and 2 to hold the
      storm flap. The fly gives quite a wide area of cover for storms. The
      lightweight aluminum stakes are very durable.

      Over all my first impression of the tent is nice. It is extremely
      lightweight and packable. The tent's bottom seems pretty tough, but
      the mesh is almost non-existent and looks and feels easy to cut. The
      poles are lightweight and user-friendly. It is very easy and quick
      to set up. I have done it in less than 4 minutes. The fly is durable
      but still light. It is easy to connect to the tent. It has a good-
      sized storm flap.

      Field Usage:

      The first field test was just light car camping on a road trip to
      Canada. It performed very well. It set up easily, kept the bugs out
      (even of the rain fly), and kept me dry. The temperature got to be
      around 90 F (32 C) at night but the ventilation in the tent kept me
      cool all night. Up near Niagara Falls we had a downpour with really
      bad winds (it was a "welcome to Canada" moment). The tent performed
      superbly and hardly moved. The storm flap did not hold any water and
      worked well. From there we hit the backcountry of Canada and we went
      up to Atikoken to do some canoeing. We stayed up there for a week.
      It rained and poured every night and the winds were the worst I have
      experienced in camping. The tent worked like a charm. It kept my
      gear and me dry. The stakes didn't budge. The temperature was around
      30 F (-1 C) at night. The tent worked perfectly fine.

      Another test was a North Carolina trip. This was mainly to see how
      well two people could sleep in it. While it worked well as a 1
      person tent, it wasn't as comfortable for two people. I am a
      relatively small person and my friend was a relatively small person
      but it was still cramped. The vestibule did not have enough space
      for both of our packs and one eventually got soaked from rain (lucky
      mine was waterproof). Needless to say it works much better as a 1
      person tent.

      Things I like about the tent:

      It is very packable and is very lightweight and small. It is the
      smallest I have ever seen (including other companies 1 man tents)
      and fits wherever I need it to go in my pack.

      It is very weather resistant. I took it through very cold and very
      hot temperatures, very windy and rainy nights, and some pretty rough
      conditions. In the end I could not even find a scratch on it.

      It has a nice storm flap. It's just the right size for my pack, my
      boots and water bottles. It keeps the rain off and won't hold water.
      It is very sturdy and if set up into the wind, air funnels it over
      the tent.

      Things I dislike about the tent:

      While the tent is called a "two"-person tent, I don't think it has
      adequate space for two large adults. I can fit two smaller people
      into the tent with some effort. For one person it works wonderfully
      and is still quite light.

      Other than that I enjoyed the tent very much.

      Overall this was probably the best tent buy of my life and I love
      the tent. It is a fantastic small and light tent. It is very weather
      durable. It has excellent ventilation and I never get condensation.
      I have used it for a while now and have had no problems whatsoever.
      It was a smart buy and I could not be happier. I found this tent
      small, light, durable, and for the money the best tent for me.