Duo 5 LED Headlamp and its predecessor

  • dunnd1
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2005
      Duo 5 LED Headlamp and its predecessor
      Year purchased: 2003?
      Retail price : ~$85
      Tester: Darian Dunn
      Location: Central Ohio
      Relevant Stats: Age 34
      Manufacturer's website: www.petzl.com

      Current model specifications
      Waterproof down to 5m (IP X8).
      Hybrid light source: halogen bulb for long distance lighting (100 m),
      14 LEDs for powerful, even, white proximity lighting (up to 26 m)
      with three lighting levels (maximum, optimum and economic).
      Regulated 14 LED lighting: maintains constant lighting level (up to
      45 hours at economic level).
      Reserve power mode: when the batteries are almost completely
      discharged, the 14 LEDs automatically switch to reserve power mode,
      (light duration: up to 80 h).
      Beam adjustment control and on/off switch are easy to use.
      On/off switch can be locked to prevent accidentally switching on
      device.
      Tilitable lamp body.
      Adjustable, ergonomic elastic head band.
      Sold with spare halogen bulb
      Operates with 4 AA batteries
      Weight: headlamp (200 g)

      I purchased one of the original DUOs several years ago. I originally
      purchased my first headlamp to get me in and out of the woods while
      hunting. I would use it for an hour in the morning and an hour in
      the evening. I would also use it while fixing my dinner over the
      camp stove after dark. I loved how it had two different power
      levels. It would allow me to have the amount of light I needed. It
      would allow me to focus the light to see things far away, but also
      allow me to use the lesser light mode to conserve the batteries. I
      used one set of batteries for one season.

      I have since started using the headlamps while canoeing. The bright
      light is very useful on finding the extraction point after dark. I
      don't think the lighter, smaller, led lights would have been as
      useful.

      I started using it while bicycling. When bicycling I have be seen
      light and seeing where I am going light. This was my seeing where I
      was going light. I was able to ride along the path well after sunset
      at 10-18 miles per hour safely. I would suggest more light if I was
      commuting ever day or riding through the woods, but for what I do, it
      is sufficient for the weight.

      Items I was concerned about when buying my headlamps.
      Battery life, I have not paid a lot of attention to battery life. It
      has not been an issue.
      Blown bulbs, so far no issue.
      Lock switch to keep from turning the light on by accident. It works
      when I do my job.

      Issues:
      Weight, this is a heavy item.
      Corrosion on the battery connectors, my original headlamp has had
      issues with the battery connectors since it was submerged in salt
      water for an extended period of time.

      Final thought, if you know you will be moving at night, this is the
      light for you. If you don't expect to do a lot at night, I think
      there are many options that don't weigh as much.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2005
        Hello and welcome to Backpackgeartest.org.

        While we appreciate you posting two Owner Reviews (as per
        the "Requirements to Become a Tester") we find it is more
        advantageous and time saving to only run one through our Owner
        Review Queue at a time. Your second OR has been added to the ON HOLD
        section of the Edit Queue. Once an Editor has picked up your first
        OR and worked with you to complete the editing process you are
        welcome to revise and resubmit your second. This way we can work
        with you on addressing any standard BGT policy edits which you can
        incorporate into your second and subsequent reviews before
        submission.

        Additionally, if you feel like you would like some assistance with
        this process, we do have a mentor program. If you are interested,
        please send a message to Jennifer P, the mentor coordinator, at
        (jennifer.pope@...) with MENTOR REQUEST in the subject line
        and she'll get you squared away.

        Please also keep in mind all BGT operations are run by volunteers so
        please be patient when posting to the list and regarding the editing
        process.

        Again welcome to the group.
        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Administration Officer