Owner review - Cascade Designs Tracks Sherlock - Guillaume Paré

  • pare_guillaume
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2005
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/CADSCADE%
      20DESIGNS%20TRACKS%20SHERLOCK/

      Thank you
    • pare_guillaume
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%
        20REVIEWS/CADSCADE%20DESIGNS%20TRACKS%20SHERLOCK/

        Cascade Designs

        Tracks Sherlock Staff

        Date: October 31, 2005

        Name: Guillaume Paré

        Age: 37

        Gender: Male

        Height: 1.84 m (6')

        Weight: 68 Kg (150 lbs)

        Email address: anonyme2005@...

        City: Longueuil

        Province: Québec

        Country: Québec

        Backpacking Background:

        At 37, while not a hardcore user, I can say I have a few trails
        behind me. I
        've done many treks during summer and winter. I have also spent some
        nights
        outside (tents and shelters), on the north-east part of America.
        I've done a
        lot of climbing during my university. I've done a lot of backcountry
        skiing
        mainly when I was living in Québec city (2000-2004). I also tried
        different
        outdoor activities: sea kayaking, river kayaking. I work in an
        outdoor gears
        store.

        Product information:

        Manufacturer: Cascade Designs

        Year of purchase: around 1993

        Weight: 483 g (16.9 oz)

        Measured length: 105-143.5 cm (41.3-56 in)

        Measured stored length: 84.4 cm (33.3 in)

        Measured length of grip: 20 cm (7.9 in)

        MSRP: 50.00 $us

        Note: I intentionally exclude the manufacturer length and weight
        because the
        model has slightly changed since a decade. Therefore, it won't be
        unfair to
        compare both measured and claimed numbers. But you can see that the
        measured
        numbers are very close to those you can see in the manufacturer
        website.

        Product description:

        There was no packaging when I made my purchase (as default). The
        staff is
        telescopic. It has two parts that can be adjusted to different
        lengths (see
        product information). The adjustment system is made using a push
        button you
        can fit in different holes. The core body of the staff is metal. It
        is all
        black, except the very top part which is made of wood. This wooden
        part is
        to be used a top grip. You can unscrew it to reveal a camera mount.
        Just
        under the wooden part, there is a black nylon adjustable strap on
        one side
        and a plastic D ring on the opposite side. The foot is made of
        rubber. The
        grip is made of high density foam. The superior half of the
        telescopic part
        of the staff is covered with low density foam. The foot can be
        unscrewed to
        reveal a metal pick.

        Product experience:

        I have used the Sherlock Staff on many trips over a period of
        several years.
        The trips went from one day trekking to multi day expeditions. I
        have used
        it from summer through winter in various environmental conditions
        (hot,
        humid weather, rain and snow). The terrain I used it varied from
        smooth to
        rough, from paved road to rocky and muddy terrain on summer and
        snowy to icy
        terrain in winter.

        My experience with the Tracks staff is good in all conditions except
        on snow
        (see cons below). The grip is comfortable. The strap is useful and
        easy to
        adjust if you need to. The sizes, for storage or on the use, are
        adequate.
        The push button is reliable. I did have rare problems of button
        freezing. I
        was able to fix it jut by trying again and again until it worked.
        Sometimes
        I gently hit the staff on something hard to break the ice on the
        button.
        Only one time I wasn't able to fix it and had to put it back on my
        backpack.
        The reason I chose a push button system over a collar screw is
        because of
        troubles I've had with collar screw systems when trying staves out
        in a
        store. So what would it have been on the trail! The Tracks staff is
        sturdy.
        It has seen many kilometers but it doesn't seem close to fail.

        On the other side, I did have a few problems with the staff. Most of
        them
        are relied to some poor designs. The first one I noticed is that the
        wooden
        top is slightly uncomfortable. Fortunately, the model has been
        updated so it
        is much better now. Then, the most important problem came from the
        rubber
        foot. The rubber foot can be removed. It covers a small piece of
        plastic
        that can be unscrewed (thus revealing the metal pick, as mentioned).
        The
        problem was that the rubber can be stuck between two rocks or
        something and
        then be easily removed on the trail. In fact, I lost mine on a
        bridge on a
        way out of Mount Marcy. The wood planks of the bridge were spaced
        perfectly
        so I lost my rubber tip in the stream. It wasn't the first time the
        rubber
        foot was pulled out so I knew it was only a question of time before
        I lost
        it. A little bit upset, I wrote to Cascade Designs telling them
        their staff
        was badly designe. Well, they replied me saying that the newer and
        improved
        version of the foot was on the way to my house. I now have an updated
        version of the foot. The rubber part can still be removed (it is
        designed
        that way) but not as easily as the previous design.

        Pros:

        - Reliable (except for designs flaws they fixed with the newer
        models);

        - comfortable;

        - can be used as a monopod;

        - very good customer service (and you know how important that is).

        Cons:

        - Heavy, I recommend the Sherlite over the Sherlock as it is
        identical but
        without the foam on the upper part of the staff, below the grip. The
        weight
        difference is small but that foam is useless;

        - snow basket is optional so it is not very good on snow if you
        don't buy
        it.

        I have found the Sherlock staff to be durable and dependable. The
        design
        needed some improvements but, fortunately, it has been improved
        compared to
        my old model.

        Thanks to Anthony (TJ) Smith for his comments.
      • Mike Lipay
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
          Not meaning to step on any toes here, but isn't the country Canada,
          and the province Quebec?

          Mike

        • Ricky
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2005
            You're not stepping on this Canadian's toes. Hopefully it's a typo and not a
            political statement.
            R.
> [...]

            > - comfortable;
            >
            > - can be used as a monopod;
            >
            > - very good customer service (and you know how important that is).
            >

            > Cons:
            >
            > - Heavy, I recommend the Sherlite over the Sherlock as it is
            > identical but
            > without the foam on the upper part of the staff, below the grip. The
            > weight
            > difference is small but that foam is useless;
            >
            > - snow basket is optional so it is not very good on snow if you
            > don't buy
            > it.

            > I have found the Sherlock staff to be durable and dependable. The
            > design
            > needed some improvements but, fortunately, it has been improved
            > compared to
            > my old model.
            >

            > Thanks to Anthony (TJ) Smith for his comments.

            Hiking clothes Hiking the inca trail Hiking backpack

            Service.

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 3, 2005

              reviews before submission.

              Moderator.

              will use APPROVED in the subject line.

              Owner Review Queue is posted to the yahoo group list on Fridays.

              the list or contact me directly.

              Edit Administration Officer
            • colonelcorn76
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 7, 2005
                Hi Guillaume,

                Good work on this so far. I've made some edits and posed some
                questions that if you could answer in the review would increase its
                usefulness. Once you've made the changes I've noted and added whatever
                new information you can, please repost it with REPOST in the subject
                line. I'll take another look at it and when it's ready I'll give you
                the links you need to upload it to its home on BGT.

                Again, thanks for the work you've done on this review.
                Jim
                Edit Moderator

                --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "pare_guillaume"
                <guillaume.pare@g...> wrote:

                > Country: Québec

                ### Wouldn't the country be "Canada" or did I miss some big news?

                > At 37, while not a hardcore user, I can say I have a few trails
                > behind me. I
                > 've done many treks during summer and winter. I have also spent some

                ### Extra space between the I and '

                > nights
                > outside (tents and shelters), on the north-east part of America.

                ### "northeast"

                > I've done a
                > lot of climbing during my university. I've done a lot of backcountry
                > skiing
                > mainly when I was living in Québec city (2000-2004). I also tried

                ### "City"

                > different
                > outdoor activities: sea kayaking, river kayaking. I work in an
                > outdoor gears

                ### "gear"

                > MSRP: 50.00 $us

                ### "US"

                > Note: I intentionally exclude the manufacturer length and weight
                > because the
                > model has slightly changed since a decade. Therefore, it won't be
                > unfair to

                ### "fair" is more appropriate then "unfair"

                > compare both measured and claimed numbers. But you can see that the
                > measured
                > numbers are very close to those you can see in the manufacturer
                > website.

                ### Avoid the use of "you/your/yours/you'll/you're" as they tend to
                lead to projection of your experiences onto the reader. Instead write
                in the first person - I/me/my/mine. In this case, it can be restated
                "But the measured numbers are very close to those on the
                manufacturer's website."

                > product information). The adjustment system is made using a push
                > button you

                ### "pushbutton that"

                > can fit in different holes. The core body of the staff is metal. It

                ### This implies it is not infinitely adjustable within the range like
                many hiking poles. How many fixed length settings are there & what are
                they? Do you know what kind of metal it is - steel, aluminum, other?

                > is all
                > black, except the very top part which is made of wood. This wooden
                > part is

                ### How big is this top part (length)? Is it shaped differently then
                the rest of the pole (like a knob, etc.)?

                > to be used a top grip. You can unscrew it to reveal a camera mount.
                > Just

                ### "It unscrews to reveal"

                > I have used the Sherlock Staff on many trips over a period of
                > several years.
                > The trips went from one day trekking to multi day expeditions. I

                ### "multi-day"

                > have used
                > it from summer through winter in various environmental conditions
                > (hot,
                > humid weather, rain and snow). The terrain I used it varied from

                ### Have you found any issues with it reacting unfavorably to
                temperature extremes -- stiff, hard to resize, brittle, cracking in
                the cold, etc?

                > smooth to
                > rough, from paved road to rocky and muddy terrain on summer and
                > snowy to icy
                > terrain in winter.

                ### What have you found to be the best tip to use in these various
                terrain conditions -- e.g. rubber foot is good on rock, metal pick is
                good on ice?

                > My experience with the Tracks staff is good in all conditions except
                > on snow
                > (see cons below). The grip is comfortable. The strap is useful and

                ### Why not? What's the problem in snow? Does it posthole? Did you get
                the snow basket? Does it help?

                > easy to
                > adjust if you need to. The sizes, for storage or on the use, are
                > adequate.

                ### How do you adjust it? Why would you need to adjust the strap?
                Also, rephrase like "easy to adjust when I need to." Do you use it
                like a trekking pole resizing it when going up or down hills or do you
                keep it sized to a single length when you use it? What size do you use
                it set at? How did you determine that as the appropriate size? (For
                instance, trekking poles are usually sized to the hand when held
                horizontally from a bent elbow.)

                > Only one time I wasn't able to fix it and had to put it back on my
                > backpack.

                ### Any problems with sand or anything else getting in the pushbutton?

                > On the other side, I did have a few problems with the staff. Most of
                > them
                > are relied to some poor designs. The first one I noticed is that the

                ### "related to"

                > wooden
                > top is slightly uncomfortable. Fortunately, the model has been

                ### How? Why? To make a statement like "poor design" you need specific
                reasons, otherwise you need to change that to something less
                definitive - like "are related to design issues". Also, although you
                refer to "most of them" in terms of problems, you only discuss 2
                below. Are those all of the problems you had or were there others? If
                those were the only 2 then something more like "Both of them" would be
                more appropriate. If there were others, detailing them would help.

                > updated so it
                > is much better now. Then, the most important problem came from the

                ### What did they do to make it "much better"?

                > it. A little bit upset, I wrote to Cascade Designs telling them
                > their staff
                > was badly designe. Well, they replied me saying that the newer and

                ### "designed"..."replied to me"

                > improved
                > version of the foot was on the way to my house. I now have an updated
                > version of the foot. The rubber part can still be removed (it is
                > designed
                > that way) but not as easily as the previous design.

                ### What was the design change for the foot? Why does it not come off
                as easily as before? Has it been a problem getting it off when you
                wanted to use the pick?

                > - Reliable (except for designs flaws they fixed with the newer
                > models);

                ### "design flaws" or better yet "what I think were design flaws"

                > - very good customer service (and you know how important that is).

                ### "service (and this is important)."

                > - Heavy, I recommend the Sherlite over the Sherlock as it is
                > identical but

                ### We don't do recommendations. You can say that you would or
                wouldn't buy this one again. You can point out that you've replaced
                this with another subsequent design, the Sherlite, due to its lighter
                weight. But you can't do a shootout type of recommendation.

                > without the foam on the upper part of the staff, below the grip. The
                > weight
                > difference is small but that foam is useless;

                ### How much different? What's the problem with the foam? This is the
                first you've mentioned it as an issue. Does the foam not absorb sweat
                when the staff is held? Does it keep your hand from slipping? You
                didn't mention weight being an issue anywhere else. What kind of
                issues did the weight cause? Is there a target weight you'd prefer?

                > - snow basket is optional so it is not very good on snow if you
                > don't buy
                > it.

                ### "the pole is not very good on snow without it" or "it is not very
                good on snow as I didn't buy the basket."

                > Thanks to Anthony (TJ) Smith for his comments.

                ### Not sure why this is here but it's not necessary in an OR.

              • pare_guillaume
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
                  Ok,

                  Here's my latest revision of my review. What do I do with it now?
                  Thanks,

                  Cascade Designs

                  Tracks Sherlock Staff

                  Date: October 31, 2005

                  Name: Guillaume Paré

                  Age: 37

                  Gender: Male

                  Height: 1.84 m (5' 11")

                  Weight: 68 Kg (150 lbs)

                  Email address: anonyme2005@...

                  City: Longueuil

                  Province: Québec

                  Backpacking Background:

                  At 37, while not a hardcore user, I can say I have a few trails
                  behind me. I've done many treks during summer and winter. I have
                  also spent some nights outside (tents and shelters), on the
                  northeast part of America. I've done a lot of climbing during my
                  university and a lot of backcountry skiing, mainly when I was living
                  in Québec City (2000-2004). I have also tried different outdoor
                  activities: sea kayaking, river kayaking. I work in an outdoor gear
                  store.

                  Product information:

                  Manufacturer: Cascade Designs

                  Year of purchase: around 1993

                  Weight: 483 g (16.9 oz)

                  Measured length: 105-143.5 cm (41.3-56 in)

                  Measured stored length: 84.4 cm (33.3 in)

                  Measured length of grip: 20 cm (7.9 in)

                  MSRP: 50.00 $US

                  Product description:

                  There was no packaging when I made my purchase (as default). The
                  staff is telescopic. It has two parts that can be adjusted to
                  different lengths (see product information). The adjustment system
                  is made using a pushbutton you can fit in different holes. The core
                  body of the staff is metal. It is all black, except the very top
                  part which is made of wood. This wooden part is to be used a top
                  grip. It unscrews to reveal a camera mount. Just under the wooden
                  part, there is a black nylon adjustable strap on one side and a
                  plastic D ring on the opposite side. The foot is made of rubber. The
                  grip is made of high density foam. The superior half of the
                  telescopic part of the staff is covered with low density foam. The
                  foot can be unscrewed to reveal a metal pick.

                  Product experience:

                  I have used the Sherlock Staff on many trips over a period of
                  several years. The trips went from one day trekking to multi-day
                  expeditions. I have used it from summer through winter in various
                  environmental conditions (hot, humid weather, rain and snow). The
                  terrain I used it varied from smooth to rough, from paved road to
                  rocky and muddy terrain in summer and snowy to icy terrain in winter.

                  My experience with the Tracks staff is good in all conditions except
                  on snow (see cons below). The grip is comfortable. The strap is
                  useful and easy to adjust if you need to. The sizes of the staff,
                  for storage or on the use, are adequate. The push button is
                  reliable. I did have rare problems of button freezing. I was able to
                  fix it jut by trying again and again until it worked. Sometimes I
                  gently hit the staff on something hard to break the ice on the
                  button. Only one time I wasn't able to fix it and had to put it back
                  on my backpack. The reason I chose a push button system over a
                  collar screw is because of troubles I've had with collar screw
                  systems when trying staves out in a
                  store. So what would it have been on the trail! The Tracks staff is
                  sturdy. It has seen many kilometers and has held up very well.

                  On the other side, I did have a few problems with the staff. Most of
                  them are related to some poor designs. The first one I noticed is
                  that the wooden top is slightly uncomfortable. Fortunately, the
                  model has been updated so it is much better now. Then, the most
                  important problem came from the rubber foot. The rubber foot can be
                  removed. It covers a small piece of plastic that can be unscrewed
                  (thus revealing the metal pick, as mentioned). The problem was that
                  the rubber can be stuck between two rocks or something and then be
                  easily removed on the trail. In fact, I lost mine on a bridge on a
                  way out of Mount Marcy. The wood planks of the bridge were spaced
                  perfectly so I lost my rubber tip in the stream. It wasn't the first
                  time the rubber foot was pulled out so I knew it was only a question
                  of time before I lost it. A little bit upset, I wrote to Cascade
                  Designs telling them I felt their staff was badly designed. Well,
                  they replied me saying that the newer and improved version of the
                  foot was on the way to my house. I now have an updated version of
                  the foot. The rubber part can still be removed (it is designed that
                  way) but not as easily as the previous design.

                  Pros:

                  - Reliable (except for design flaws they fixed with the newer
                  models);

                  - comfortable;

                  - can be used as a monopod;

                  - very good customer service (and this is important that is).

                  Cons:

                  - Heavy compared to other type of staff on the market (the Sherlite

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
                    Hello Guillaume,

                    I'm glad to see you are still around and moving along through the
                    BGT process. If this is a REPOST after Jim's edits, then you should
                    put REPOST in the subject line along with the OR name and your name.

                    Other than that, you just whatch this group until Jim picks up the
                    REPOST and either posts a new set of edits for you or an approval
                    notice, then follow his directions.

                    Best of luck and keep up the good work.
                    Jamie D
                    Edit Admin Officer

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 26, 2005
                      Hi Jamie,

                      Sorry for the delay, I was busy but things are abit more normal now.
                      As for the message, yes, it includes Jim's comments. Hu, what is a
                      OR?

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 27, 2005
                        Hi Guillaume,

                        OR is short for Owner Review. Sorry about that. I abriviate so
                        often on these darn message boards, i forget that not everyone knows
                        the lingo.

                        Jamie

                        <guillaume.pare@g...> wrote:

                        > Hi Jamie,
                        >
                        > Sorry for the delay, I was busy but things are abit more normal
                        now.
                        > As for the message, yes, it includes Jim's comments. Hu, what is a
                        > OR?
                        >

                        > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
                        wrote:

                        > > Hello Guillaume,
                        > >
                        > > I'm glad to see you are still around and moving along through
                        the
                        > > BGT process. If this is a REPOST after Jim's edits, then you
                        > should
                        > > put REPOST in the subject line along with the OR name and your
                        > name.
                        > >
                        > > Other than that, you just whatch this group until Jim picks up
                        the
                        > > REPOST and either posts a new set of edits for you or an
                        approval
                        > > notice, then follow his directions.
                        > >
                        > > Best of luck and keep up the good work.
                        > > Jamie D
                        > > Edit Admin Officer
                      • colonelcorn76
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 30, 2005
                          Okay Guillaume,

                          Let's try this again. I've made edits and comments within the body of
                          your report. Please address them all this time and then repost it to
                          the list with REPOST in the subject line. If you do this I'll pick it
                          up and will review it again. Once we've got it tuned up I'll give you
                          the location and procedures you'll need to upload it to BGT.

                          Thanks for the continued effort on this,

                          <guillaume.pare@g...> wrote:

                          > Ok,
                          >
                          > Here's my latest revision of my review. What do I do with it now?

                          ### First you follow the directions I gave you and post it with REPOST
                          in the subject line so I know it's here and can re-edit it. :-)

                          > Thanks,
                          >

                          > Cascade Designs
                          >
                          > Tracks Sherlock Staff

                          ### "Owner Review" needs to be in the title

                          > Date: October 31, 2005

                          ### Please change this to "November 30, 2005" so it's closer to when
                          we actually get it uploaded.

                          > Weight: 68 Kg (150 lbs)

                          ### unit abbreviations are not capitalized (exceptions are L for
                          liter, F for Farenheit and C for Celcius)

                          > Product description:
                          >
                          > There was no packaging when I made my purchase (as default). The
                          > staff is telescopic. It has two parts that can be adjusted to
                          > different lengths (see product information). The adjustment system
                          > is made using a pushbutton you can fit in different holes. The core

                          ### Please eliminate the use of the word "you" and its derivatives
                          (yours, you'll, you're, etc.). When writing reviews we want them to be
                          in the first person, reflecting your experiences and feelings rather
                          then your suppositions about someone else's experience. In this case
                          you are presuming that the reader can use the pushbutton to fit into
                          different holes. While that's probably a safe bet, it's not
                          necessarily true -- I might be physically handicapped to the point
                          where I can't do that. In this case, it's not likely to be an issue
                          but it's often a more serious issue -- e.g. "you'll find the down in
                          the bag to be enough to keep you warm" when the person is in fact a
                          cold sleeper and requires much more insulation then normal...they'd be
                          under a misimpression that the bag being reviewed would be good for
                          them. Instead we want a statement that as a warm sleeper you found the
                          bag kept you warm. You need to leave the reader to interpret that to
                          decide if it applies to their situation. So, change this to something
                          like "is made using a pushbutton that fits in...".

                          > body of the staff is metal. It is all black, except the very top
                          > part which is made of wood. This wooden part is to be used a top

                          ### "as a top"

                          > Product experience:
                          >
                          > I have used the Sherlock Staff on many trips over a period of
                          > several years. The trips went from one day trekking to multi-day
                          > expeditions. I have used it from summer through winter in various
                          > environmental conditions (hot, humid weather, rain and snow). The
                          > terrain I used it varied from smooth to rough, from paved road to
                          > rocky and muddy terrain in summer and snowy to icy terrain in winter.

                          ### Any comment on how mud & dirt affects the staff? Does it cake in
                          the tip? When does the rubber foot work and when does the steel pick
                          work better? Does the steel pick show any wear from rocks, dirt, etc?
                          How about how ice & snow affects its use (specifically please, no
                          generalities).

                          > My experience with the Tracks staff is good in all conditions except
                          > on snow (see cons below). The grip is comfortable. The strap is

                          ### You don't say much about that except that a snow basket is
                          optional. More explanation about this would help. For instance, is the
                          staff too short to be able to extend through the snow so it can't be
                          used without the basket? Or does it punch through the snow and is
                          difficult to keep pulling up through the snow?

                          > useful and easy to adjust if you need to. The sizes of the staff,

                          ### Eliminate the "you". Suggest, "if I need to." or "if needed."

                          > for storage or on the use, are adequate. The push button is

                          ### "pushbutton"

                          > reliable. I did have rare problems of button freezing. I was able to
                          > fix it jut by trying again and again until it worked. Sometimes I

                          ### "just"

                          > gently hit the staff on something hard to break the ice on the
                          > button. Only one time I wasn't able to fix it and had to put it back
                          > on my backpack. The reason I chose a push button system over a

                          ### "pushbutton"

                          > On the other side, I did have a few problems with the staff. Most of
                          > them are related to some poor designs. The first one I noticed is

                          ### You mention "a few problems"..."related to some poor designs" but
                          only mention that the top is slightly uncomfortable (without any
                          further detail) and that the rubber foot came off & was lost (but has
                          since been corrected). What other problems did you have? What are the
                          design issues that you think cause the problems you experienced?

                          > that the wooden top is slightly uncomfortable. Fortunately, the
                          > model has been updated so it is much better now. Then, the most

                          ### How is it uncomfortable (too big, too small, wrong shape, too far
                          from the strap, too sharp...?), how has it been updated and how do you
                          know it's much better?

                          > foot was on the way to my house. I now have an updated version of
                          > the foot. The rubber part can still be removed (it is designed that
                          > way) but not as easily as the previous design.

                          ### How does the new foot differ in design from the old foot?

                          > Pros:
                          >
                          > - Reliable (except for design flaws they fixed with the newer
                          > models);

                          ### What are those design flaws? How were they fixed? Just the rubber
                          foot issue?

                          > - very good customer service (and this is important that is).

                          ### "and this is important that is" is awkward wording...suggest: "and
                          I believe this is important"

                          > Cons:
                          >
                          > - Heavy compared to other type of staff on the market (the Sherlite

                          ### "other types of staffs"

                          > is identical but without the foam on the upper part of the staff,
                          > below the grip. The weight difference is small but that foam is
                          > useless);

                          ### Why? Does it not cushion your hand? Do you use your staff
                          differently then a trekking pole? (see this url
                          http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm for some
                          background on poles and the mechanics of using them)

                          > - snow basket is optional so it is not very good on snow if you
                          > don't buy it.

                          ### Are you saying that the staff is not very good on the snow if you
                          don't buy the basket or that the basket isn't very good on the snow if
                          you don't buy the basket? Regardless, watch the use of "you".

                          > I have found the Sherlock staff to be durable and dependable. The
                          > design needed some improvements but, fortunately, it has been
                          > improved compared to my old model.

                          ### You don't articulate the issues that lead to this statement. It
                          would be helpful for you to identify the specific problems or design
                          features that need improvement and then what you would suggest as the
                          improvements. When you make statements or claims in reviews we want
                          you to support them with specifics. It's not just opinion we're
                          looking for but why you have the opinion you have.