La Crosse XG

  • dunnd1
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005
      I am not sure how this works. Here is my first review. I have it in
      a word doc. I am not sure how well it will convert to this list
      forum. Please let me know what my next step is.

      La Crosse XG-55 Digital Compass Watch
      Year purchased: 2005
      Retail price : ~$80
      Tester: Darian Dunn
      Location: Central Ohio
      Relevant Stats: Age 34
      Manufacturer's website: www.lacrossetechnology.com

      Features:
      · Altimeter Mode
      o 23-hr Altitude History Graph with X & Y Axis View
      o 4-Adjustment Methods: Zero Altitude, Absolute Altitude,
      Sealevel Pressure, and Factory Default
      · Barometer Mode
      o 23-hr Pressure History Graph with X & Y Axis View
      o History Recall
      o Calibration
      · Compass Mode
      o 16 Compass Directions (0° to 359°, digital)
      o 16 Bearing Directions (1 to 60 pointers, graphical)
      o Digital Bearing Reading Lock
      o Digital Backward Bearing
      · Chronograph Mode
      o 100 Lap Memory
      o Recall Lap History and Total Time
      · Current Temperature Display
      · Current Time Mode
      o Forcast Icon Display
      o Current Time (hour, minute, second)
      o 12 or 24 Hour Time Display
      o Calendar (month, date)
      o Hourly Chime
      o 2 Daily Alarms
      · Dual Time Mode
      · Countdown Timer
      with Quick Set Values
      · Water Resistant Case: Up to 30 feet
      · EL Backlight
      · Low battery indicator
      · Watch Power Source: Single 3V lithium battery (CR2032)
      Actual Size: 2.12" x 1.38 " x 0.62"

      I have owned other multi-function watches. I am hard on watches.
      They have failed for multiple reasons. The Casio died when I fell on
      it. The Timex watch band pins fell out at an in opportune time.

      I don't believe I need to go over how useful and sometimes insightful
      having a multi-function watch can be. I find I use the compass
      feature all the time. I use the temperature sensor on occasion. I
      have not used the altimeter function, because I usually have a GPS
      with me.

      This is my first LA CROSSE watch. It will probably be my last LA
      CROSSE watch. The normal watch functions, work. The fancy functions
      have issues. The temperature reading is off when the watch is on my
      wrist. I have watched the altitude change while I set still. The
      weather function is almost never correct when traveling especially
      when in cars and houses and over hills. The compass is good and
      reliable.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the yahoo group list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • nazdarovye
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 29, 2005
          Hi Darian -

          First, I want to apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Your
          review wasn't labeled as an "Owner Review" in the subject, and frankly
          I just missed spotting it several times.

          With that out of the way, I'd love to help you whip this into shape.

          At first glance, however, I don't see a review here (other than some
          specifications and a few paragraphs of observations).

          If your review actually didn't end up posting correctly, great - plese
          repost it!

          If, however, this is what you posted, then I need to ask you to take a
          step back and redo your review. The best place to start in that case
          will be our "how to become a tester" pages:

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=5

          We also have a mentor program here - just send a message to this list
          if you want a mentor to help you through the process, and we'll take
          it from there.

          Regards and thanks,
          Steve