Owner Review Gerber Guardian Back Up knife

  • rayestrella1
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2005
      Hey guys, here is another OR. I have a copy with pics in the test OR
      folder.

      Ray

      Gerber Guardian Back Up, fixed blade knife

      Owner Review

      Tester Information
      Name: Raymond Estrella
      Age: 44
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 3" (187.5 cm)
      Weight: 200 lbs (90 kg)
      Email address: rayestrella@...
      City: Huntington Beach
      State: California
      Country: USA
      Date: October 31, 2005

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking since I was 14 years old. My style of hiking
      is to get up early, and hike hard for most the day. I put the miles
      on, usually 15-18 miles a day.(24-29 k) I like to get to my days
      destination early enough to enjoy the afternoon. Most of my hiking
      is in the Sierras. I hike year `round, in all weather. I am making a
      concerted effort to lighten weight everywhere I can. So far in 2005
      I have logged 500 miles (800 km) with a pack on.

      The product

      Manufacturer: Gerber Legendary Blades (A division of Fiskar)
      Web site: http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php?flash=1
      Product: Guardian Back Up, fixed blade knife
      Year made: 2005.
      MSRP: Not listed on web site.
      Weight listed: 3 oz (84 g) Actual weight 3.1 oz (87 g)
      Overall length listed: 7.28" (182 mm) Actual length: 7.32" (183 mm)
      Blade length listed: 3.41" (85 mm) Actual length: 3.45" (87 mm)
      Knife alone weight: 1.8 oz (50.4 g)
      Sheath alone weight: 1.3 oz (36.4 g)

      It comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty

      Field Conditions

      I got the Guardian on April 20, 2005 Since receiving it I have taken
      it on every hike except a trip to Mount Shasta. I have logged 373
      miles (597 km) with this knife on my backpack. I have hiked from
      400' (120 m) to over 14000' (4200 m) elevations, in temps ranging
      from over 100F (38C) by the Kern River, and down to 17F (-8C) on the
      John Muir Trail. I have encountered extreme desert conditions, snow
      and rain in the Sierra's, and beautiful days in Southern California.
      I have been from as far south as Palm Springs, to as far north as
      Tuolumne Meadows, in California.

      Product description

      The Guardian Back Up (hereafter referred to as the Guardian, or the
      knife) is a double sided fixed blade knife. Here is a picture of the
      knife and sheath.

      The blade is made of High Carbon Stainless steel, and has been
      blackened to make it non-reflective. Indeed the only shiny part of
      the knife is the sharpened edges on either side of the blade. It is
      a "3/4 tang blade", meaning that the blade continues three quarters
      of the way to the end of the handle. With the use of a magnet I was
      able to verify that this is the case. On one side of the blade is
      the Gerber logo, and the words Portland OR beneath it. All are in
      gold lettering.

      The blade came in a very sharp state. And I have not had to sharpen
      it yet. I have cut freeze-dried food packages, cheese, salami,
      summer sausage, and moleskin with it. I have made tinder, and shaved
      wood with it. I have cut rope, accessory cord, and webbing with it.
      A couple of times I threw it into a tree trunk. (We were bored) It
      has held up very well.

      The black handle is constructed of "glass filled nylon" covered
      with "Santoprene". It feels to be almost as soft as rubber, but more
      durable. It does not get slippery, even with wet hands. It has held
      up very well also. There are some scratches in the sheath, but no
      marks of any kind on the handle.

      The sheath is constructed from black molded plastic. It has the
      Gerber logo molded into the front of it, and a metal clip on the
      back. The clip can be used as a traditional belt loop, a boot
      sheath, or an inverted hanging sheath. (More on that later.) On
      either side of the sheath are two sliding tabs. The tabs lock onto
      grooves on the side of the sheath. By sliding the tabs up towards
      the open end of the sheath, it tightens the hold of the sheath on
      the knife blade. This holds it more securely and necessitates more
      force to pull the knife out of the sheath. By sliding the tabs down
      towards the closed end of the sheath, it loosens the hold on the
      blade, allowing it to come out easier.

      At the very end of the sheath is a small lanyard hole measuring
      3/16" (4 mm) across.

      Conclusions

      I started using this knife for a couple of reasons. First was it's
      low weight. It is a lot of knife for such a light package. But my
      main reason was the carrying options. While I am not afraid of our
      California animals, a couple of mountain lion attacks caught my
      attention this year because the animals attacked adults, and did not
      want to break off the attack even when hit with rocks and sticks by
      other people. I always carry a knife. Usually a Gerber EZ Out
      Skeleton. But I started thinking about the Tekna whitewater knife
      that I use when rafting or kayaking. It hangs with the handle down ,
      from my whitewater vest. Allowing it to be drawn with either hand.
      And because it is double edged, it is always ready to cut no matter
      how you draw it. But it is heavy, and is hard to sharpen, and to
      keep sharp.

      When I saw that the Guardian could hang inverted and be adjusted to
      easily draw with either hand, I figured my search was over. I slide
      the sheath clip on to the cross strap on my backpack's left shoulder
      strap. This allows me to remove it with no difficulty what so ever.
      Here is a picture of it on a Mountainsmith pack.

      It has never come out inadvertently. I have used it on 4 different
      backpacks, all with the same good results. It stays on the pack most
      of the time, and therefore takes its share of scrapes when I lean it
      against rocks or it falls on the ground. It stays out when it rains,
      and once took a dunking in a river. The blade shows no sign of rust.
      But the clip on the sheath is showing some slight discoloration
      where it touches my shoulder strap. I am sure that is from my sweat
      soaking through the strap.

      I am very happy with this knife. It will continue be my main knife
      unless I have to use another as part of a gear test. In fact I would
      probably carry both just to have the "any handed" capability of the
      Guardian. Here is a picture of it in use in the Sierra's

      Pros: Light weight, very good blade, multiple carrying options.

      Cons: care must be taken to remember that it is double edged. Not as
      safe as a single edged knife.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2005

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
          Hi Ray,

          Thanks for the review. Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get
          around to it after plucking it from the queue. The HTML version looks
          pretty good, though I'd like the title in a slightly larger (not huge)
          size. I've noted a couple of issues with links below that will need
          fixing. Otherwise, you are good to go after edit. Upload to

          http://tinyurl.com/as9dd

          BTW, that's one scary-looking ninja knife!

          Best,

          Ted.

          > Gerber Guardian Back Up, fixed blade knife

          ### EDIT: Guardian Back-Up fixed blade knife

          NB: The hyphenation is as per the Gerber site.

          > Owner Review

          ### EDIT: Date here, remove from biographical information

          > Tester Information
          > Name: Raymond Estrella
          > Age: 44
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 6' 3" (187.5 cm)
          > Weight: 200 lbs (90 kg)
          > Email address: rayestrella@h...
          > City: Huntington Beach
          > State: California
          > Country: USA
          > Date: October 31, 2005
          >
          > Backpacking Background:
          >
          > I have been backpacking since I was 14 years old. My style of hiking
          > is to get up early, and hike hard for most the day. I put the miles
          > on, usually 15-18 miles a day.(24-29 k)

          ### EDIT: (24-29 km)

          I like to get to my days
          > destination early enough to enjoy the afternoon. Most of my hiking
          > is in the Sierras. I hike year `round,

          ### EDIT: I don't think it's necessary to have an apostrophe before
          round. It's like putting an apostrophe before 'phone. Well, I have
          been known to do that...

          in all weather. I am making a
          > concerted effort to lighten weight everywhere I can. So far in 2005
          > I have logged 500 miles (800 km) with a pack on.
          >
          > The product
          >
          > Manufacturer: Gerber Legendary Blades (A division of Fiskar)
          > Web site: http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php?flash=1

          ### EDIT: the root URL is just

          http://www.gerbergear.com/

          > Product: Guardian Back Up, fixed blade knife
          > Year made: 2005.
          > MSRP: Not listed on web site.
          > Weight listed: 3 oz (84 g) Actual weight 3.1 oz (87 g)
          > Overall length listed: 7.28" (182 mm) Actual length: 7.32" (183 mm)
          > Blade length listed: 3.41" (85 mm) Actual length: 3.45" (87 mm)
          > Knife alone weight: 1.8 oz (50.4 g)
          > Sheath alone weight: 1.3 oz (36.4 g)
          >
          > It comes with a Limited Lifetime Warranty

          ### EDIT: This presently links off-site to Gerber. We don't allow any
          more than the root URL, because with site redesigns other links will
          usually be broken, in turn breaking the review. Please remove the
          link, and instead put the warranty in the review text.

          > Field Conditions
          >
          > I got the Guardian on April 20, 2005

          ### EDIT: period missing

          Since receiving it I have taken
          > it on every hike except a trip to Mount Shasta. I have logged 373
          > miles (597 km) with this knife on my backpack. I have hiked from
          > 400' (120 m) to over 14000' (4200 m) elevations, in temps ranging
          > from over 100F (38C) by the Kern River, and down to 17F (-8C)

          ### EDIT: speace between temperature and unit, please

          on the
          > John Muir Trail. I have encountered extreme desert conditions, snow
          > and rain in the Sierra's, and beautiful days in Southern California.
          > I have been from as far south as Palm Springs, to as far north as
          > Tuolumne Meadows, in California.
          >
          > Product description
          >
          > The Guardian Back Up (hereafter referred to as the Guardian, or the
          > knife) is a double sided fixed blade knife. Here is a picture of the
          > knife and sheath.
          >
          > The blade is made of High Carbon Stainless steel, and has been
          > blackened to make it non-reflective. Indeed the only shiny part of
          > the knife is the sharpened edges on either side of the blade. It is
          > a "3/4 tang blade", meaning that the blade continues three quarters

          ### EDIT: three-quarters

          > of the way to the end of the handle. With the use of a magnet I was
          > able to verify that this is the case. On one side of the blade is
          > the Gerber logo, and the words Portland OR beneath it. All are in
          > gold lettering.
          >
          > The blade came in a very sharp state. And I have not had to sharpen
          > it yet.

          ### EDIT: The blade came in a very sharp state, and I have not had to
          sharpen it yet.

          I have cut freeze-dried food packages, cheese, salami,
          > summer sausage, and moleskin with it. I have made tinder, and shaved
          > wood with it. I have cut rope, accessory cord, and webbing with it.
          > A couple of times I threw it into a tree trunk. (We were bored)

          ### EDIT: period after bracket.

          It
          > has held up very well.
          >

          > Conclusions
          >
          > I started using this knife for a couple of reasons. First was it's

          ### EDIT: its

          > low weight. It is a lot of knife for such a light package. But my
          > main reason was the carrying options. While I am not afraid of our
          > California animals, a couple of mountain lion attacks caught my
          > attention this year because the animals attacked adults, and did not
          > want to break off the attack even when hit with rocks and sticks by
          > other people. I always carry a knife. Usually a Gerber EZ Out
          > Skeleton.

          ### EDIT: I always carry a knife, usually a Gerber E-Z Out Skeleton.

          [That's the correct product name].

          But I started thinking about the Tekna whitewater knife
          > that I use when rafting or kayaking. It hangs with the handle down ,
          > from my whitewater vest. Allowing it to be drawn with either hand.

          ### EDIT: It hangs with the handle down from my whitewater vest,
          allowing it to be drawn with either hand.

          > And because it is double edged, it is always ready to cut no matter
          > how you draw it. But it is heavy, and is hard to sharpen, and to
          > keep sharp.

          ### COMMENT: You start a lot of sentences with conjunctions, esp.
          "and" and "but." Used sparingly, although the standard rule is
          (generally) to avoid beginning a sentence this way, it gives the
          writing a sense of immediacy. Still, two back-to-back is overdoing it
          a bit.

          > When I saw that the Guardian could hang inverted and be adjusted to
          > easily draw with either hand, I figured my search was over. I slide
          > the sheath clip on to the cross strap on my backpack's left shoulder
          > strap. This allows me to remove it with no difficulty what so ever

          ### EDIT: whatsoever

          .
          > Here is a picture of it on a Mountainsmith pack.
          >

          > It has never come out inadvertently. I have used it on 4

          ### EDIT: four

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2005
            Thanks for the help Ted. It is done and loaded.