Garrity Headlamp

  • Eugene Nelson
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 24, 2005
      Name: Eugene King Nelson
      Age: 61
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'3"
      Weight: 165 lbs.
      Email: kawl@...
      Home: Edgewood, NM
      Date: 10-24-05

      Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since 1981. Most of my trips are 2-4 days, often setting up a base camp in an area and dayhiking. My longest was a 5 week hike on the Appalachian Trail about 13 years ago. I have recently lowered my base pack weight from about 35 to 18 pounds. My hiking is in the New Mexico mountains and southern Utah, all being 3 season. Temperatures generally range 30-45 degrees on the low side and 60-80 degrees on the high side. Normally, I avoid going out if stormy, rainy weather is forecast, but do occasionally encounter it.

      GARRITY 5-Function Headlamp

      Manufacturer: Garrity Industries, Inc.
      Year of manufacture: 2004
      www.garritylites.com.
      Weight specified: Not available
      Weight as measured: 3.6 ounces including batteries.

      I purchased this headlamp at Walmart for $12.97 about a year ago. It included the lamp with 2 LED white lights, headband, and 3 AAA batteries. A hard plastic lamp body rotates 90 degrees up or down on the headband bracket. I installed the batteries, adjusted the headband with attached pad for the back of the head and it was ready to use. The lamp itself has 6 positions controlled by a single spring-loaded, pushbutton switch located on the top: 1) high 2) medium 3) low 4) slow and 5) fast flash and then 6) off; they work in that order with each push of the switch. If the switch is left on in any of the 5 active settings for 2 seconds or more, the next "click" will turn it off. The switch has 2 small light indicators in front of it; one flashes green to show "batteries ok"(this also makes it easy to locate in the dark) and the other is red indicating "low batteries"(I have never seen this one).
      I usually put this light on at dark, using it for walking around camp and reading for 45 minutes or so.. I haven't done any night hiking with it. It lights well for me reading with the low LED and claims up to 150 hours of light on a set of batteries, presumably at the low setting. I am still using the batteries that came with the unit, with about 30-40 hours on them so far. Virtually all of my usage has been at temperatures around 40-60 degrees in dry conditions. I have also found it very handy a few times in repairing things around the house in dark areas.
      This headlamp has been very useful for me. It is my first one and I prefer it far more than handheld lights. Some minor things that caused problems: 1) part of the headband pad attachment broke, but still remained usable; perhaps a stronger material would be in order 2) I remove the batteries after each trip and occasionally had to reinsert them once or twice to establish electrical contact for the next trip. Things I like about it: 1) the switch is easy to operate and seems durable 2) It is reasonably comfortable and always stays in place on my head as well as in the up/down position 3) the low light setting works for virtually everything I do, extending battery life.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 26, 2005

        reviews before submission.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2005
          Hello Eugene,

          Thank you for your Garrity headlamp review. Please don't be put off by
          the extensive edits. There are some nuances that your initial review
          missed. It's possible that you might benefit from our mentor program,
          although with your co-operation I'm sure we can make a decent Owner
          Review out of this. If you do wish to make contact with a mentor,
          though, please contact

          jennifer.pope@...

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT OR Editor

          ### EDIT:
          Garrity 2 LED Headlamp
          Date: October 24, 2005
          Owner Review

          [This should be your heading. It's a recent policy change, but the
          date should be up top, not in the bio

          N.B. I have indicated what appears to be the correct product name, as
          per the Garrity website and packaging, see

          http://www.garritylites.com/site/retail_details.php?recid=84

          If your light is different from this product, please advise and
          correct accordingly]

          > Name: Eugene King Nelson
          > Age: 61
          > Gender: Male
          > Height: 6'3"
          > Weight: 165 lbs.
          > Email: kawl@l...
          > Home: Edgewood, NM
          > Date: 10-24-05

          ### EDIT: Delete date from here.
          ### EDIT: Since BGT's audience is international (indeed, quite a few
          of our reviewers etc. are in Europe, Australia and Canada) we need
          metric equivalents for all units in imperial measure. For conversions,
          the conversion table at

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/convert.html

          is very useful. Please do read the text at the bottom, which is very
          helpful in the matter of levels of accuracy of conversion, unit names,
          etc. As an example, your height should read

          Height: 6' 3" (1.91 m)
          Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)

          Please go through your review and supply metric equivalents where they
          occur, including temperatures.

          > Backpacking Background: I have been backpacking since 1981. Most
          of my trips are 2-4 days, often setting up a base camp in an area and
          dayhiking. My longest was a 5 week hike on the Appalachian Trail
          about 13 years ago. I have recently lowered my base pack weight from
          about 35 to 18 pounds. My hiking is in the New Mexico mountains and
          southern Utah, all being 3 season. Temperatures generally range 30-45
          degrees on the low side and 60-80 degrees on the high side. Normally,
          I avoid going out if stormy, rainy weather is forecast, but do
          occasionally encounter it.

          ### EDIT: This section unfortunately combines two required elements.
          First, there is the backpacking background (which should be 100 words,
          or a little less). Then there is the information about the environment
          in which the product has been used. This should have data on
          temperature ranges (in F & C), elevations, weather experienced, type
          of terrain, amount of use and anything else noteworthy. The
          "Backpacking background" should be a separate section. I prefer the
          "Field Environment" section to be separate and labelled in an
          appropriate manner, but some folks incorporate it into the body of
          their report and that's fine too, provided all the requisite
          information appears. In this case, use the former method. Provide a
          "Backpacking Background" following your stats, and provide a "Field
          environment" section following the product description.

          > GARRITY 5-Function Headlamp

          ### EDIT: As noted, this appears to be the wrong name for the product.

          > Manufacturer: Garrity Industries, Inc.
          > Year of manufacture: 2004
          > www.garritylites.com.
          > Weight specified: Not available
          > Weight as measured: 3.6 ounces including batteries.
          >
          > I purchased this headlamp at Walmart for $12.97

          ### EDIT: This should be listed with the other parameters above as

          MSRP: not available

          We give manufacturer's recommended prices where available. Retail
          prices are frequently too variable to be of any use. It is OK to
          mention your paid price in the body of the review.

[...]

          ### EDIT: You might want to make some note of the following points:

          How does the headband adjust?
          Once adjusted, does it easily stay in position?
          Is it a single strap, or is ther an "over the head" strap too?
          Is there any color cast to the light? Does this in any way effect its
          utility? (for example, does the color of the light make map-reading
          awkward)
          Are the battery orientations clearly indicated? Is opening the battery
          compartment easy?
          Is the lamp reasonably waterproof (if the manufacturer makes any
          claim, or if you have experience with bearing on that issue)

          > I usually put this light on at dark, using it for walking
          around camp and reading for 45 minutes or so..

          ### EDIT: Cut second period

          I haven't done any night hiking with it. It lights well for me
          reading with the low LED and claims up to 150 hours of light on a set
          of batteries, presumably at the low setting. I am still using the
          batteries that came with the unit, with about 30-40 hours on them so
          far. Virtually all of my usage has been at temperatures around 40-60
          degrees in dry conditions. I have also found it very handy a few
          times in repairing things around the house in dark areas.

          ### EDIT: This is really the meat of your review. Unfortunately, there
          really isn't very much to it. I'd like to know how useful you have
          found this around camp for proximity lighting. Is it helpful for
          cooking, is the light level adequate for setting up the tent in the
          dark, all the nitty-gritty details of utility. I'm not asking you to
          pad the review, but to provide a thorough account of how the headlamp
          has performed.

          > This headlamp has been very useful for me. It is my first one
          and I prefer it far more than handheld lights. Some minor things that
          caused problems: 1) part of the headband pad attachment broke, but
          still remained usable; perhaps a stronger material would be in order
          2) I remove the batteries after each trip and occasionally had to
          reinsert them once or twice to establish electrical contact for the
          next trip. Things I like about it: 1) the switch is easy to operate
          and seems durable 2) It is reasonably comfortable and always stays in
          place on my head as well as in the up/down position 3) the low light
          setting works for virtually everything I do, extending battery life.

          ### EDIT: We will deal with this section on the next round of edits.

          > --
          >
          > Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number. -Lycos
          Yellow Pages

        • sweugene
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
            Ted...I'm not sure where to send this after editing; to you or to
            repost on the yahoogroups where I posted it originally; if so, how
            should it be headed. Also, I did not remember the exact name
            description of this headlamp and did not think it would be important
            as I thought this was a practice review that wouldn't be read by
            others. I previously checked their website and the headlamp they
            offer now is different, probably a newer model; so I didn't use that
            ID for my review. THanks. E.K. Nelson--- In
            BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan" <erd@w...>
            wrote:

> [...]
            that
            > caused problems: 1) part of the headband pad attachment broke, but
            > still remained usable; perhaps a stronger material would be in order
            > 2) I remove the batteries after each trip and occasionally had to
            > reinsert them once or twice to establish electrical contact for the
            > next trip. Things I like about it: 1) the switch is easy to operate
            > and seems durable 2) It is reasonably comfortable and always stays
            in
            > place on my head as well as in the up/down position 3) the low
            light
            > setting works for virtually everything I do, extending battery
            life.

            > ### EDIT: We will deal with this section on the next round of edits.
            >

            > > --
            > >
            > > Search for businesses by name, location, or phone number. -Lycos

            http://r.lycos.com/r/yp_emailfooter/http://yellowpages.lycos.com/defau
            lt.asp?SRC=lycos10

          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2005
              Hello Eugene,

              The corrected version should be reposted to this list with the heading
              REPOST: (title of item)(your name). I'll catch it, have no fear. If
              you chane a review before it is picked up by an editor you would use
              the REVISED tag.

              The correct name is important. In this case, assuming you don't have
              the product literature around to confirm it, I would use the title
              from the website; although the design may have changed, I strongly
              suspect that the name will have remained a constant, as it is somewhat
              generic.

              I'd take gentle issue with the contention that these are "practice
              reviews." True, they are to get you, as a new BGT member, familiar
              with the BGT review process, but BGT tries its best to maintain high
              standards throughout, and your review will be on the site for the
              world to read. We therefore want it to be factually accurate and in
              conformance with the standards of measurement etc. that we all use.

              Best,

              Ted

              BGT OR editor