  • mb2352888 ???
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2005
      MSR Mini Works

      Name: Patrick White
      Age: 19
      Gender: M
      Height: 6FT
      Weight: 170Ibs
      Email address: mb235288@...
      City, State, Country: Coldwater, Michigan, USA
      Date: 10-20-05
      Backpacking Background:
      My backpacking experiences consist from four day to two-week trips.
      Porcupine Mountains U.P. MI, Bighorn Mountains W.Y., Catskills N.Y, Boundary
      Waters Minnesota canoeing trip. Isle Royal in lake superior. Many other
      places. I have been Hiking since I was 14. Anticipated Associate Degree
      June of 2006 in Ecotourism and Adventure Travel. Starting a thru-hike of
      the Appalachian Trail in Maine coming this June of 2006.

      Manufacturer: Mountain Safety Research
      Weight: 16oz/456g
      Dimensions: 7.5 x 2.75 in./19 x 7 cm
      MSRP: $79.95
      Includes: Stuff sack, hose float, scrub pad, and instructions

      The experience I have with this water filter includes several different
      trips in different environments to cold to hot weather and everything in
      between. MSR mini works is a very durable filter. Inexpensive and I
      recommend it to the beginner or the experience hiker.

      Positives: Very user friendly,

      �One of the coolest things is you can screw the filter right on a nalgene
      water bottle.
      �Very Easy to clean, and the ceramic filter is very long lasting.
      �Very durable as well, I have drop this many times on rocks high up, and
      have never crack it.
      �Has a pretty long hose on it, which makes getting water easier sometimes.

      �The biggest negative I have seen with this type of model is an Air Lock, at
      lest that is what I call it. When you pump and nothing is happening,
      Usually its from the air pressure building up in the top of it and can be
      fix by unscrewing the top part just enough to let the pressure out of it.
      Usually will start working again.
      �In cold weather with all water filters you need to remember to empty all
      the water out otherwise you will have an ice block. Quick way to fix this
      also if you don�t want to mess with getting all the water out, wrap it and
      shove it in the bottom of you sleeping back. Works great!!
      �Over time like most O rings, they will be come brittle, you can fix this by
      soaking them in veggie oil.

      Over all, I recommend this filter to the family group or to the solo
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 26, 2005

        reviews before submission.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1 6:00 AM
          Hello Patrick,

          I've looked over your submission on the MSR Mini Works. I'm sorry to
          be discouraging, but I must tell you that it doesn't really contain a
          review that approaches our specifications as outlined in the BGT
          Survival Guide, Chapter 3

          It lacks decimal conversions and some required data, which is
          something that is correctable by edit, but beyond that, there is
          nothing approaching a full description of the product and its
          operation. As an editor, it's beyond anything that I can undertake to
          fix, but the good news is that we do have a very active mentor
          program. If you do indeed wish to participate in BGT, I urge you to
          contact Jennifer Pope

          and request a mentor--she is in charge of that. Your mentor will
          explain what's needed in the review and guide you through the process,
          and you may resubmit it in appropriate form.

          Good luck!

          BGT OR Editor