EDIT: OR: Hennessy Explorer Ultralight Asym Hammock - André

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 5, 2005
      Hello André,

      Here's your edit. As an occasional hammock-person (I've done one ten
      day stint in my old-fashioned Hennessy "pod," and many shorter
      backpacks), I thoroughly enjoyed your review. I have a variety of
      edits and suggestions (and a few simple comments) below.

      Normally I'd ask you to post the review to the appropriate folder,
      given the small number of errors I noted. However, I do want to see
      how you reparagraph (many of the paragraphs are way too long for easy
      comprehension). Also, because of the length I'd like to make sure I
      didn't miss anything significant before it goes on the BGT site. So,
      André, humour me please, and post the revised version to the test
      site, and post to list when you have done so (no need to post the text
      again). I'll look it over once more, and give you the OK.

      One last point. You don't actually have a "Field environment" section
      (or whatever you want to call it) per se. There is a great deal of
      detail regarding setting and conditions in the review, but it might be
      good to have a synopsis. I believe BGT only requires that the
      information be present in the review, not that it is broken out
      (though I may be wrong on this) but it's certainly helpful to the
      reader if the full scope of weather, elevation and setting is quickly
      accessible near the start of the review.

      Once again, a really fine piece of work. I wish my grasp of German (a
      subject that I dismally failed when at school) was a tiny fraction as
      good as your excellent grasp of colloquial English!

      Best,

      Ted.

      BGT OR Editor

      > Introduction:
      > This is a hammock with a number of features not found on the ordinary
      > garden variety hammock

      ### COMMENT: Did you mean garden hammocks, or were you thinking of the
      the phrase "common-or-garden variety hammock." FWIW, either makes sense.

      . First, it is enclosed with bug netting, which
      > is held up by a ridgeline which connects the points at which the
      > hammock body joins the support ropes. This ridgeline controls
      > the "sag" of the hammock, which plays a large part in making one's

      ### EDIT: maybe "the" rather than "one's," to avoid the faint element
      of projection?

      > sleep experience in the hammock predictable - much less depends on
      > the placement of trees than it might otherwise. As the bug netting is
      > sewn to the edges of the hammock body, it must be entered elsewhere -
      > through a slit in the bottom, which can be closed with strips of
      > hook 'n' loop fastener.

      ### EDIT: "hook and loop" is better

      This slit extends from one support rope to
      > close

      ### EDIT: since you use "closed" in the next sentence, "near" might be
      a better choice here to avoid slight verbal confusion

      to the center of the hammock. One is not supposed

      ### EDIT Maybe "It's not a good idea…"

      to lie on the
      > closed slit, however. The sides of the hammock body are cut longer
      > than one might expect. So instead forming a half-pipe, the hammock
      > sides open up further. This becomes particularly pronounced when
      > staking out the bungee cords attached to the outermost points of the
      > hammock sides. This "opening" is not symmetrical (hence the "Asym" in
      > the name). Rather, the points at which the hammock sides reach out
      > the furthest lie on a diagonal, with one such point close to the slit
      > end of the hammock (the foot end) and the other close the head end.
      > This creates a rectangular inside area, the diagonal of which is made
      > up by the ridgeline. One

      ###EDIT: "The sleeper" maybe, instead of "one?"

      is meant to occupy the center of this
      > rectangle, so is lying at a diagonal to the ridgeline/support ropes.
      > As the hammock sides come down, this is meant to allow the hammock
      > occupant to sleep on a level instead of the banana shape commonly
      > associated with hammocks. The ridgeline also features two hooks and a
      > mesh pocket for storage.

      ###COMMENT: The preceding is a very long paragraph of some complexity.
      I'd suggest breaking it into two or three, as that will aid comprehension.

      > History:
      > In 2004, I originally ordered (and received, and used)

      ###COMMENT perhaps ordered, received, and used (no parentheses) would
      be better?

      the Explorer
      > Deluxe model – a few ounces heavier, rated for 50 lbs

      ###EDIT 50 lb

      (25 kg) more,
      > with a heavier, green hammock body instead of the "coyote brown" body
      > of the Ultralight.
      >
      > Storm Trial:

      > The reason for this was anxiety – I had no previous experience with
      > this sort of thing. The last time I had slept outside in a hammock
      > was in a banana-shaped net hammock nearly ten years earlier in a
      > sultry Mediterranean night on the Spanish Southern

      ###COMMENT: "southern Spanish" maybe? Small point.

      coast,

      > When I looked (rather bleary-eyed) at the scene the next morning, I
      > found that everything had worked out well. The bungee cord spreading
      > out the hammock body had limited swinging to a level which did not
      > induce nausea, the ridge line had held the hammock body in shape
      > though the hanging line had stretched some, the rain fly had sagged
      > some, but not a drop of water had hit my bag. Even my shoes, with
      > laces tied over the internal ridgeline with the bodies of the shoes
      > hanging just outside of the body of the hammock (through the entry
      > slit), had remained dry.

      ### EDIT: Could you break the preceding sentence into two? With the
      parenthesis, I feel it's a trifle awkward.

      > Field Trial:
      > I first used that (Explorer Deluxe) hammock in the field at a three-
      > night campout which we undertook. I used it for two nights out of the
      > three (the other night I decided to share the floor of the uppermost
      > tower level of an old castle ruin with a few buddies after we'd been
      > hiking all day and most of the night). Sleeping in my hammock was
      > unadventurous, but I showed it off to a large number of people that
      > time. One of them later wanted me to get the same model for him (it
      > was the right weight range for him) and I sold him the one I had and
      > got the Explorer Ultralight for myself (and a second one for yet
      > another buddy). I had figured that I would never take any advantage
      > of the large weight range it provided and had just begun to seriously
      > reduce the weight I carried. What I did find out when spending that
      > one night on the ground, was that either the ground has gotten harder
      > as I got older or I have become less good at adapting to it – at any
      > rate, sleeping in my hammock was certainly a lot more comfortable
      > than doing it on the ground (even with a 15 mm (3/5 in) closed cell
      > foam pad as padding).

      ### COMMENT: I would break this into two or more paragraphs. The same
      is true for other long paragraphs in the review—I won't repeat the
      comment, but you may want to keep an eye for natural places to break
      longer paragraphs into shorter, more digestible chunks.

      > I have since used the hammock which

      ### EDIT "that" for "which"

      is the subject of this review
      > many times, on multi-day excursions and overnighters, with
      > temperatures between about 5 C and 25 C,

      ### EDIT conversions, please

      wind, rain and sunshine. I
      > have spent well over a dozen nights in it, once being accompanied by
      > my daughter.
      >
      > ----------
      >
      > Features:
      > The hammock has a couple of unique features (well, unique to this
      > type

      ###EDIT: I'd use "brand," not "type" here

      of hammock - they can be found on some of the other hammocks of
      > the same manufacturer as well). Among them are:
      >
      > - "Treehugger" straps:

      > In order to do their job, these need to fit around the trees I intend
      > to use. I've found that the standard ones which accompanied my first
      > hammock (listed at 42 in/107 cm, I did not measure them) failed to do
      > so on a number of the old growth trees I felt like suspending my
      > hammock from. So I ordered the intermediate length, listed at 72 in
      > (183 cm). For the Explorer Ultralight, they are 5 cm (2 in) broad and
      > turned out to be 190 cm (75 in) long. These fit around more trees and
      > sometimes need to be wrapped around the smaller ones more than once.
      > Of course, I still find just as many trees that even these straps
      > won't fit around, but even the longest offered set (at 96 in/244 cm)
      > would not change that. With the straps I have, I generally don't have
      > to discard many potential hanging sites (my, that sounds evil), so I
      > am happy with them.

      ###COMMENT: I've found that provided the Treehugger goes round a half
      to two-thirds of the tree, the setup is stable if well tied. An
      observation, not an edit of any kind.

      > - "Snakeskins":
      > These are long, tapering sleeves of silnylon (also "Coyote Brown")

      ### EDIT: earlier (and later) you have coyote brown all lower case. I
      can make an argument for either usage, but not both. Personally, I
      prefer it treated as a proper noun with caps, as above.

      > - Entry Slit:
      > The entry slit features hook'n'loop

      ###EDIT: hook and loop (unless, it occurs to me, this is what the
      manufacturer's usage is)

      > ----------
      >
      > Where to hang out:
      But in either case I need not worry
      > about camping sites. I do not plan my hike from one campsite/shelter
      > to the next, and need never make the choice between either stopping
      > at this shelter with 2

      ### EDIT: two

      hours of daylight wasted, or having to hike
      > until midnight or later to the next one. I can always hike just that
      > little bit longer until I don't feel like walking anymore. 30 minutes
      > later, I sleep.
      >
      > With the Snakeskins installed, hanging the hammock is simplicity
      > itself. A Treehugger goes around the tree, the rope goes through the
      > Treehugger`s openings. Then I loop the support rope in a figure eight
      > pattern: one circle goes around the rope leading to the hammock body
      > and the other circle wraps around the place where the rope holds the
      > two ends of the Treehugger strap together. Four figure eights

      ### EDIT: figure-eights

      > Transport:
      > Having taken my hammock down, I end up with a "snake", a long,
      > stuffed tube of silnylon with support ropes hanging out of each end,
      > and the two Treehugger straps. I fold the snake in half and then
      > gather it together to form a roughly pillow- shaped mass of it, lay
      > the folded Treehuggers across it and wrap the whole thing up with the
      > support rope ends. I end up with a pillow-shaped package which

      ### EDIT "that" for "which"

      rides
      > well on top of my Vapor Trail backpack, held down by the top straps.
      > I've even managed to wrap it around my MacPac Kauri daypack for
      > transport. In neither event has there ever been a problem, and there
      > is nothing to suggest that I couldn't carry it inside my pack if I so
      > chose. Being able to carry it outside without having to worry about
      > it getting wet, however, is another "liberating" thing about it.
      >
      > Weather Protection:
      > I try to hang my hammock in places where wind and rain do not hit it
      > directly. Generally, this means hanging it up in the middle of the
      > woods somewhere - another place were tenter's

      ### EDIT: tenters

      can't go.
      > When hanging in a more scenic (read: exposed) spot, weather
      > protection becomes an issue. In my experience, much of this depends
      > on the proper orientation of the rain fly. When I know from which
      > direction the wind (will) come(s),

      ### EDIT: I realize there's a component of humor here, but I don't
      think this works. I'd just leave it at something along the lines of "I
      guess from which direction the wind will come." Or words to that effect…

      . (What
      > some folks call "turning nasty" - but really, there's nothing nasty
      > about it.)

      ### EDIT: I don't like an entire sentence in brackets. It ain't
      grammatical (except in rare cases). Maybe

      "This is what some folks call the weather "turning nasty"—but really
      there's nothing nasty about it.

      > I note that the rain fly develops some sag during the night when
      > getting wet.

      ###EDIT: "when it gets wet."

      I therefore take care to get a nice, tense set for it,
      > which has so far prevented it from drooping so low as to contact the
      > bug netting (though it's been right close a few times, when I pitched
      > the rain fly steeply for improved weather protection).
      >

      > I have found that it is quite easy to partially unzip the bag
      > whenever I find that I'm wearing more than is necessary. On the other
      > hand, when I wake up feeling a little cold or even freezing, it is a
      > massive bother to get up out of my bag, dig out clothing, put it on
      > and get back into my bag. It requires waking up all the way and
      > requires getting out of my sleeping bag when I'm cold already! So I
      > have decided to err on the side of caution. (Should I ever feel that
      > I'm still cold this way, I still have my rain gear, gloves and a buff
      > to put on.)

      ### EDIT: sentence in parentheses again

      > Room (or lack thereof):
      > While my hammock is roomy and not the least claustrophobic, there
      > isn't actually that much room in it. In a tent, sometimes I'd leave
      > an insulation layer lying around on the ground next to me in case I
      > need it at night. If I do this in my hammock, which slopes towards me
      > when I'm in it, it ends up underneath me or underneath my pad, which
      > makes it nearly impossible to locate in the dark and nearly as
      > difficult to retrieve. This is true for most anything which

      ###EDIT: "that" for "which"

      doesn't
      > go into the mesh pocket on the ridgeline. So I cannot leave a bottle
      > with something to drink or a snack lying around in case I want it at
      > night.
      >
      > Looks (LNT):
      > I really, really like my "coyote brown"

      ### COMMENT: see earlier note

      hammock. Detractors may refer
      > to it as fecal brown, I call it bark brown. Which, really, is what it
      > is and why it is so stealthy. Brown is a colour which

      ### EDIT: that

      seems always
      > present in the woods, even when the leaves turn and in snowy winter.

      > Comfort:
      > Much has been said about the comfort of the asymmetrical hammock, and
      > I'll say some more. I do *not* sleep level in it, though I lie at the
      > required angle. I have tried shortening the ridge line with a
      > sheepshank knot, and though that worked, the resulting change in
      > hammock sag did not allow me to sleep entirely level. However, I lie
      > close enough to level not to be bothered by the curvature except in a
      > few positions in which I feel a hyper- extending pressure on my
      > knees.
      ### COMMENT: Do you really mean "hyper-extended?" I believe
      technically that's when the knee joint is flexed at an obtuse angle.
      Having aging knees, it happens to me once in a while. It hurts.

      > I, on the other hand, had slept, snug as a bug in a rug, in my
      > hammock (using the colder-weather scenario outlined above), waking
      > warm and rested in the morning. I was hanging at an impossible spot
      > for any other camping method – the ground sloped steeply there. Yet,
      > neither rain nor cold touched me while I lay and dreamed. It was this
      > night which I had in mind when an online dare regarding "hammock
      > poetry" prompted me to write the following:
      >
      > Suspended in silence
      >
      > under trees, over roots
      > I float
      >
      > below sky, above ground
      > I rest
      >
      > beneath stars, beyond earth
      > I sleep
      >
      > suspended in silence,
      > I dream.

      ###COMMENT: Not quite (but close to) "hammock haiku!"
    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
        Regarding your edit of my OR, I have reposted to the test folder only
        (as per your instructions). Sorry it took so long after you edited so
        quickly - I totally missed it and only noticed it listed as "edited"
        on the weekly update when I checked how far down the list I was...

        Excellent editing, btw, I feel it's been much improved. I've
        addressed some of your comments below.

        André

        P.S.: Because I missed your edit, I am now past the point where I can
        delete my first version from the test folder. My bad. Can you get rid
        of it or should I ask Rick?

        <erd@w...> wrote:
        <snip>
        > > Introduction:
        > > This is a hammock with a number of features not found on the
        ordinary
        > > garden variety hammock
        >
        > ### COMMENT: Did you mean garden hammocks, or were you thinking of
        the
        > the phrase "common-or-garden variety hammock." FWIW, either makes
        sense.

        I was thinking of the latter (though I feel that this includes garden
        hammocks). Anyway in which I can make this clearer?

        <snip>

        > > required angle. I have tried shortening the ridge line with a
        > > sheepshank knot, and though that worked, the resulting change in
        > > hammock sag did not allow me to sleep entirely level. However, I
        lie
        > > close enough to level not to be bothered by the curvature except
        in a
        > > few positions in which I feel a hyper- extending pressure on my
        > > knees.
        > ### COMMENT: Do you really mean "hyper-extended?" I believe
        > technically that's when the knee joint is flexed at an obtuse angle.
        > Having aging knees, it happens to me once in a while. It hurts.

        What I mean ist that with my feet raised on nothing underneath my
        knees to support them, I feel a pressure towards extending my knees
        past "straight" (with my thigh and calf in a 180 degree position). I
        don't mean to say that this actually happens, just that I feel
        pressure in that direction. Is that what I'm saying?

        <snip>

        > > Suspended in silence
        > >
        > > under trees, over roots
        > > I float
        > >
        > > below sky, above ground
        > > I rest
        > >
        > > beneath stars, beyond earth
        > > I sleep
        > >
        > > suspended in silence,
        > > I dream.
        >
        > ###COMMENT: Not quite (but close to) "hammock haiku!"

        My hammock haiku was:

        beneath stars I float
        a dream in the forest night
        wakes to spring morning

        (you can see I cannibalized some of the imagery for the poem I
        included in the OR.)

        André
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 10, 2005
          Thank you, André,

          I think it's an excellent review. I'll delete version I for you.

          In regard to wording, I feel that instead of

          > "on the ordinary garden variety hammock"

          "on the common or garden variety hammock" probably works better,
          simply because it's a more familiar phrase.

          And you are indeed using "hyperextended" correctly.

          *********

          A couple of small points. With your weights, the conversions are to
          two decimal places in several instances, e.g. 12.03 oz, 45.82 oz, yet
          in other instances no decimal place e.g. 39 oz.

          I'd prefer to see one d.p. throughout, which I think is correct for
          conversions from grams to ounces in this weight range. Thus 12.0 oz
          (or even just 12 oz), 45.8 oz, usw., consistently through the weights
          section.

          A photo, if you have one handy, would be great to see in the
          introductory section at least. Don't go to a huge effort, but if you
          have something handy I feel it would help put the verbal description
          in a visual context.

          I really don't have anything else to add. I've read the piece twice,
          and nothing jumps out at me; it's exceedingly well written. Oh, by the
          way, at least in my part of the world, we don't worry about raccoons,
          as they are uncommon at any elevation. The problem's porcupines, who
          will gnaw on leather boots, car wiring, and almost anything else they
          can find that's good for chewing. A friend once parked her car for a
          multi-day hike and came back to find that "porkies" had eaten part of
          the ignition system. We have many plane wrecks scattered through the
          mountains, and they chew incessantly on the metal--truly bizarre. In
          addition, I know of hammock users who have heard the beasts walking
          under their hammocks--disquieting to know that something armored with
          sharp quills is inches from your body!

          Please upload to

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%20Explorer%20Ultralite%20A-Sym/

          or

          http://tinyurl.com/7tttx

          at your convenience.

          Best,

          Ted

          BGT OR EDITOR
        • André Corterier
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 24, 2005
            Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/8db6r - I finally got my hands on a
            picture for my report in a useful format. Took too darn long, I
            really need a digital camera. I'll delete the test folder version
            shortly (I linked to it in a pending app, I'll remove it when
            selections have been made).

            André

            <erd@w...> wrote:
            <snip>

            > A photo, if you have one handy, would be great to see in the
            > introductory section at least. Don't go to a huge effort, but if you
            > have something handy I feel it would help put the verbal description
            > in a visual context.

            <snip>
            > Please upload to
            >
            > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%
            20Explorer%20Ultralite%20A-Sym/

            > or
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/7tttx
            >
            > at your convenience.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Ted
            >
            > BGT OR EDITOR

          • edwardripleyduggan
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 24, 2005
              Hi Andre,

              The image looks great, and in my estimation makes a big difference to
              the appearance of the report.

              There's one HTML issue, though. The portion of the text

              Year of manufacture: 2004?
              Year of purchase: 2005
              Manufacturer: Hennessy Hammock

              is sitting to the left of the image, which on my screen is flush
              right. Using Firefox, the URL itself is on the first line below the
              image, this text is followed by a huge white space. In IE 6 it forms a
              column, but the picture sits over portions of the text! I think it
              would be preferable to center the image where it is presently, but
              have the text "Year..." etc. starting down below.

              Once fixed, upload at will. I believe I gave you the folder in an
              earlier e-mail?

              Best,

              Ted.

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
              <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:

              > Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/8db6r - I finally got my hands on a
              > picture for my report in a useful format. Took too darn long, I
              > really need a digital camera. I'll delete the test folder version
              > shortly (I linked to it in a pending app, I'll remove it when
              > selections have been made).
              >
              > André
              >
              > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan"
              > <erd@w...> wrote:
              > <snip>
              > >
              > > A photo, if you have one handy, would be great to see in the
              > > introductory section at least. Don't go to a huge effort, but if you
              > > have something handy I feel it would help put the verbal description
              > > in a visual context.
              > >
              > <snip>
              > > Please upload to
              > >
              > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%
              > 20Explorer%20Ultralite%20A-Sym/
              > >

              > > or
              > >
              > > http://tinyurl.com/7tttx
              > >
              > > at your convenience.
              > >
              > > Best,
              > >
              > > Ted
              > >
              > > BGT OR EDITOR

            • André Corterier
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 25, 2005
                Dang - I had uploaded to the "proper" folder already (after having
                the checked the image in the test folder). I am currently unable to
                log on to BGT. Once I can do that again, I'll try to delete the file
                and fix it in the test folder. I'll ask you to have a look at it then
                (and if it still doesn't look right, I'll go bother the good folks at
                uploadhelp).

                André
                <erd@w...> wrote:

                > Hi Andre,
                >
                > The image looks great, and in my estimation makes a big difference
                > the appearance of the report.
                >
                > There's one HTML issue, though. The portion of the text
                >
                > Year of manufacture: 2004?
                > Year of purchase: 2005
                > Manufacturer: Hennessy Hammock
                >
                > is sitting to the left of the image, which on my screen is flush
                > right. Using Firefox, the URL itself is on the first line below the
                > image, this text is followed by a huge white space. In IE 6 it
                forms a
                > column, but the picture sits over portions of the text! I think it
                > would be preferable to center the image where it is presently, but
                > have the text "Year..." etc. starting down below.
                >
                > Once fixed, upload at will. I believe I gave you the folder in an
                > earlier e-mail?
                >
                > Best,
                >
                > Ted.
                >

                > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
                > <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Here it is: http://tinyurl.com/8db6r - I finally got my hands on
                > > picture for my report in a useful format. Took too darn long, I
                > > really need a digital camera. I'll delete the test folder version
                > > shortly (I linked to it in a pending app, I'll remove it when
                > > selections have been made).
                > >
                > > André
                > >
                > > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan"
                > > <erd@w...> wrote:
                > > <snip>
                > > >
                > > > A photo, if you have one handy, would be great to see in the
                > > > introductory section at least. Don't go to a huge effort, but
                if you
                > > > have something handy I feel it would help put the verbal
                description
                > > > in a visual context.
                > > >
                > > <snip>
                > > > Please upload to

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Hammocks/Hennessy%
                > > 20Explorer%20Ultralite%20A-Sym/
                > > >

                > > > or
                > > >
                > > > http://tinyurl.com/7tttx
                > > >
                > > > at your convenience.
                > > >
                > > > Best,
                > > >
                > > > Ted
                > > >
                > > > BGT OR EDITOR

              • edwardripleyduggan
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 25, 2005
                  <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:

                  > I'll go bother the good folks at
                  > uploadhelp).

                  Which, some of the time, is yours truly <g>. Because of the image
                  size, I strongly recommend against wrapping the image in a column on
                  the left. The image should be centered and if there's any issue doing
                  that just send me your code direct as an attachment.

                  Best,

                  Ted.
                • André Corterier
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 26, 2005
                    Okay, check this out: http://tinyurl.com/8db6r
                    I had issues getting the image centered (the upload app didn't seem to
                    recognize the "align="center"" attribute for the img (all the rest of
                    my capitalized hand-coded tags were lowercase when looking at the
                    uploaded source code, except for the align attribute). Which seems
                    strange, as the "align="right"" had been recognized allright (though it
                    had led to the overlap issues). So I put the img into its own div
                    container and that fixed it. Yay!

                    André
                    <erd@w...> wrote:

                    > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
                    > <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'll go bother the good folks at
                    > > uploadhelp).
                    >
                    > Which, some of the time, is yours truly <g>. Because of the image
                    > size, I strongly recommend against wrapping the image in a column on
                    > the left. The image should be centered and if there's any issue doing
                    > that just send me your code direct as an attachment.
                    >
                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Ted.

                  • edwardripleyduggan
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 26, 2005
                      Looks good, André. In my experience using div as a container is the
                      way to go for images, tables and text. Apart from anything else, it
                      enables you (at least for text) to apply some CSS. Since BGT strips
                      headers, this is the only way to control choice of font &c., at least
                      so far as I am aware.

                      <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:

                      > Okay, check this out: http://tinyurl.com/8db6r
                      > I had issues getting the image centered (the upload app didn't seem to
                      > recognize the "align="center"" attribute for the img (all the rest of
                      > my capitalized hand-coded tags were lowercase when looking at the
                      > uploaded source code, except for the align attribute). Which seems
                      > strange, as the "align="right"" had been recognized allright (though it
                      > had led to the overlap issues). So I put the img into its own div
                      > container and that fixed it. Yay!
                      >
                      > André
                      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan"
                      > <erd@w...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, André Corterier
                      > > <andre.corterier@f...> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I'll go bother the good folks at
                      > > > uploadhelp).
                      > >
                      > > Which, some of the time, is yours truly <g>. Because of the image
                      > > size, I strongly recommend against wrapping the image in a column on
                      > > the left. The image should be centered and if there's any issue doing
                      > > that just send me your code direct as an attachment.
                      > >
                      > > Best,
                      > >
                      > > Ted.

                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 26, 2005
                        Hi Andre'

                        As a hammocker I enjoyed your novela, er I mean your OR. :) just
                        joshing.

                        Anyway, I wanted to let you know as I was going through it I noticed
                        that the link to the MacPac Kauri daypack send readers to a place in
                        the middle of your MacPac Kauri report. Please check this out and fix
                        it if possible.

                        Thanks
                        Jamie D
                        Edit Admin Officer
                      • André Corterier
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 27, 2005
                          Hmmm... that was actually intentional. I felt that the reference to my
                          daypack was of interest only in as much as the "wrapping around for an
                          overnight load in a daypack" was concerned, so I linked straight to
                          that section in my OR on the daypack. You will note that it jumps to
                          the section entitled "overnighters". It is the only section in my Kauri
                          report which mentions the hammock (and as the hammock is also hot-
                          linked in that report, I felt people would find it quickly enough). I
                          figured anyone who then wanted to read even more about the pack itself
                          could just scroll up.

                          This is not to say I am adverse to changing the link (though I am
                          adverse to treating members of the uploadnotify group to yet another
                          notification regarding the same report). If you (continue to) feel that
                          the link should go to the top of the report, let me know, I'll change
                          it right away. And if there's a general preference for linking only to
                          the top of reports, please also let me know - I've linked to particular
                          areas of reports before (when I felt only that area to be of relevance,
                          rather than the entire report), and would like to know if I should
                          refrain from doing so in the future.

                          Glad you liked it.

                          André

                          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:

                          > Hi Andre'
                          >
                          > As a hammocker I enjoyed your novela, er I mean your OR. :) just
                          > joshing.
                          >
                          > Anyway, I wanted to let you know as I was going through it I noticed
                          > that the link to the MacPac Kauri daypack send readers to a place in
                          > the middle of your MacPac Kauri report. Please check this out and
                          fix
                          > it if possible.
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > Jamie D
                          > Edit Admin Officer

                        • edwardripleyduggan
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 27, 2005
                            Jamie--as André's ed. I thought this was absolutely OK. If it were to
                            link to the top of the Macpac report, the point of the link would be
                            lost on the reader of the Hammock report. N'est-ce pas? [Yes, I know
                            André's not French].<g>

                            Best,

                            Ted.
                          • chcoa
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 27, 2005
                              No worries then. I assumed (see there that bad word again) links to
                              other reports would follow something like the rules for the manuf.
                              link - highest level so it still makes sense.

                              jamie d