Repost Guyot Design Splashguard

  • ratintraining
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005
      Hi Roger,

      I have made the edits you mentioned, with the exception of the last
      one. I did however change the wording so there is less confusion.
      Please let me know if it reads ok this way. I also have uploaded my
      review with pictures to the test folder. Thank you for editing my
      review, and I look forward to your feedback.

      Guyot Designs Splashguard Owner Review
      Review date: September 30, 2005

      Personal biographical information

      Name: Jesse McCulloch
      Age: 23
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6' 4" (193 cm)
      Weight: 165 lb (75 kg)
      Email address: mccu420@...
      City and State: Hillsboro, Oregon

      Backpacking background: I began backpacking as a Boy Scout. Last
      year, I began training for a group at work called the Reach and
      Treat (RAT) team. The RAT team is an ambulance crew with
      specialized rescue skills sent out into the wilderness to treat or
      stabilize injured persons in the backcountry. While training for
      the RAT team, I remembered the joy of backpacking, and have since
      dug out all my equipment, purchased some stuff I felt I needed, and
      have once again discovered the joys of the woods. I currently
      consider myself a medium weight backpacker, but I am slowly moving
      towards lightweight packing.

      Product information
      Manufacturer: Guyot Designs
      Manufacturer web site: http://www.guyotdesigns.com
      MSRP: 2.95 USD
      Total Weight: 0.5 oz (14 g)
      Dimensions: 2 in diameter x 0.5 in deep (5 cm diameter x 1 cm deep)

      Introduction

      The Guyot Designs Splashguard is an ingenious little thing that had
      me wondering why it took so long for someone to design it. It
      serves a single purpose, and that is to keep me from spilling the
      contents of my water bottle all over myself.

      Product

      The Splashguard came in a plastic case attached to a cardboard
      hanger. The cardboard hanger had directions printed on it, as well
      as information about the company that makes it. It product itself
      is a piece of food grade silicone rubber. It is shaped like a
      circle, with a small half moon shaped cutout for me to drink our
      pour out of. It also has a drain hole so the beverage does not
      become trapped on top of the product. It comes in assorted colors,
      of which I chose black. The cardboard hanger stated that the
      Splashguard would not absorb or retain odors or tastes, and could be
      sterilized by boiling in water.

      Field Use

      My first use of the Splashguard was on the way home from the store
      where I purchased it. As soon as I got out to the car, I opened the
      package and immediately put it into my wide mouth Nalgene water
      bottle. The Splashguard fits nicely inside the mouth of my
      Nalgene. All I did to insert it is push it down until flush with
      the top of the bottle. I have always had a really hard time
      drinking from a Nalgene in a moving vehicle. The motion of the car
      usually conspires to slosh liquid over my mouth and onto my shirt.
      Since adding the Splashguard, I haven't had this problem again. On
      the trail it has allowed me to drink while moving, instead of
      stopping to drink. I have used it in the winter, however I turn my
      bottles upside down in the winter to keep them from freezing shut.
      This being said, I have never had the Splashguard freeze on me. I
      wash my Splashguard about once a month unless I have had something
      other than water in the Nalgene. I wash it with warm water and
      soap, and can attest to the claim that my Splashguard has not
      retained any odors or tastes.

      Conclusion

      I cannot believe how long I went without this product. I would not
      even think of buying a new bottle without getting the Splashguard to
      go with it. My wife will no longer be able to get mad at me for
      splashing Kool-aid on my shirts. This alone is well worth the
      cost. And at such a light weight, why not bring one along.