EDIT: Mountain House Backpacking Foods - Jennifer Williams

  • rcaffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005
      EDIT: Mountain House Backpacking Foods - Jennifer Williams

      Hi Jennifer

      I had some reservations about this OR. It seems to me that you have
      only tried each meal once, and I was wondering whether that is really
      enough to be able to write a good review. Some of the other food
      reviews recently were based on far more use than this. However, the
      concensus of the Editors was that you have tried three meals and
      there were no negatives, so it should be OK.

      If you have used any of these more than indicated in this review, it
      would be very good to add those extra occasions. Otherwise we will
      fly with these three. A bit of a bare minimum, but OK.

      I have a few some small edits for you to fix.

      When you have done these, could you please REPOST this OR on this
      channel. At the same time could you put the html version in the
      Tests / Owner Reviews folder on BGT please, along with any pictures
      you intend to use. We check the html version as well, for various
      things like a clickable manufacturer's URL and some details of the
      layout.

      Some of us have an unofficial convention here:
      EDIT: you must fix this
      Edit: you are advised to seriously consider this
      Comment: just that.
      However, if you think I have got something wrong or that what I am
      criticising is actually a matter of personal style, feel free to say
      so.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT OR Editor
      -------------------------------
      > TESTER BIO
      EDIT: The SG does require your weight as well. It would be prefered
      if you could include this.

      > Listed Weight 4.7 oz (133 g)
      > Prepared Serving Size: 10 oz (283 g)
      EDIT: One of the few things we do insist on is that you include both
      the manufacturer's listed weights and dimensions and your own weights
      and dimensions as well. It is not unknown for there to be some
      disparity, and that's what we test.

      > All of the Mountain House meals were used on a two night backpacking
      EDIT: I immediately went huh? here. You have listed three meals for
      two nights. OK, further on you explain, but by then the reader is
      confused. You could solve this very easily by writing:
      'All three of the Mountain House meals were used on a two night
      backpacking '

      > The package instructs to expand the bottom of the pouch by pulling
      on
      Edit: awkward construction. You might like to consider something like:
      'The instructions are as follows. Expand the bottom of the pouch ...'

      > All of the pouches stayed upright while pouring the hot water in
      EDIT: grammar problem. The pouches did not do the pouring. Consider
      something like:
      ' All of the pouches stayed upright while I poured the hot water in
      and re-sealed the tops without problems.'

      > Thus, we ended up sticking our hands into the pouches
      Comment: messy - yuk! Your point later is well made.

      > The Potatoes and Cheddar even turned out well despite me forgetting
      EDIT: 'despite my forgetting '

      > a few large clumps, but after stirring them and letting them sit for
      EDIT: better grammar to say:
      ' but after I stirred them and let them sit for '

      > considering that my boyfriend can eat his weight in food on a normal
      Comment: you keep him half-starved? Shame! But a good write-up of the
      size of the meals.