Thank You Catherine Kerry - OWNER REVIEW - Benchmade Mini Griptilian Knife

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2005

      reviews before submission.

      start applying for Tests.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Jamie DeBenedetto
      Edit Administration Officer
    • Christine
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2005
        Hi Catherine,

        Welcome to BGT! Thanks for the great report. I have a couple of
        edits for you. After you've incorporated them, please post the
        revised version back here with the word REPOST in the subject line.
        If you have the HTML ready, you can post that version in the
        Test>Owner Review folder on the bgt.org website for me to look at as

        You've got the vast majority of the BGT rules down, congratulations!
        I have a couple of general edits for you that will apply to any

        1. Whenever you list a measurement, be sure to include the metric
        2. Never use the word "you". Always change it to "I".

        You've got good description of how your knife looks, and I'd like you
        to include a little more description of its use in the field.
        Details are below.

        Thanks again,
        Christine Korhonen
        BGT OR editor

        Benchmade 556-Mini Griptilian Folding Knife
        EDIT: It's a new rule to have the date under the title

        Personal biographical information
        Torso: 17.5" (44.45 cm)
        Chest: 35" (89 cm)
        Waist: 29" (74 cm)
        Inseam: 31" (79 cm)
        EDIT: Only height and weight are required. Other measurements are
        added as it applies to the item, i.e. for a shoe report, include your
        shoe size. These measurements don't add info for the knife.

        Backpacking background: …Angeles NF,
        EDIT: Spell out NF the first time and put the abbreviation in
        parentheses after: National Forest (NF)

        Last pack was 23 pounds
        EDIT: since you used an abbreviation above, abbreviate lbs here.
        Add metric conversion: 23 lbs (x kg)

        Product information
        Year of manufacture: 2004?
        EDIT: Since you don't know the year of manufacturer, put year

        Field information
        It has accompanied me from the beach to rock climbing to 9,000'
        EDIT: add metric

        No bending ones thumb nail
        EDIT: one's

        EDIT: Please add a description of the "modified drop point"

        One of the qualms I often have with easy opening folders is the fear
        that they may be so easy to open when worn on a lanyard that they may
        accidentally open if hooked on something in passing. While this might
        be a possibility in an extreme case, I have never had it happen when
        it has been hooked to the outside of my pack or belt (nor when it has
        been inside a pocket, for that matter) and have had no indication
        that this would happen, as the mechanism exerts a nicely positive
        force when in the closed position. There is a small hole in the
        handle's end for use with a lanyard.
        EDIT: The first sentence doesn't relate with the rest of the
        paragraph since you've never worn the knife on a lanyard. Maybe
        remove "when worn on a lanyard" in the first sentence.

        And, if you really want to get at any stray dust, gunk or pieces of
        old cheese left over from the trail, the entire knife can be taken
        apart with a couple tiny torx head wrenches. (As an aside, the
        company also makes a convenient little tool with all the required
        torx head sizes needed to take apart their knives, if you don't
        already have the tools at hand.)
        EDIT: Avoid the word "you" Change to "I". In next paragraph as
        Question: Have you ever taken apart the knife?

        Some basic specifications from the manufacturer:

        Length: 2.91" (74 mm)
        Blade Thickness: 0.100" (2.54 mm)
        Blade Material: 440C
        Blade Hardness: 58-60HRC
        Blade Style: Modified Drop-Point
        Lock Mechanism: AXIS™
        Overall Length: 6.78" (172 mm)
        Closed Length: 3.87" (98 mm)

        EDIT: move this info up under Product Information

        For comparison to the following dimensions of the knife, my palm
        circumference is 7.25" (184 mm) as measured from the crux of my thumb
        across. The Mini-Griptilian fits perfectly in my palm and I don't have
        to modify my grip in the sort of delicate fashion that one must with
        things like the micro-sized mini tools and "gram weenie"-sized
        EDIT: I'm not sure what a gram weenie-size device is. Maybe end the
        paragraph after "mini tools".

        I suppose that my only critiques of the knife would be that the
        removable clip that attaches with three miniscule torx head screws are
        not countersunk, making a sort of clumpy bit towards the end of an
        otherwise svelte handle.
        EDIT: Is the critique that the clip is not countersunk or the screws
        are not countersunk? Verb agreement either way. "the removable clip…
        is not" or "the…screws for the removable clip…are not"
        EDIT: Change "clumpy bit". Suggestions: marring the smoothness,
        leaving raised edges

        Of course, I screwed them back into the handle
        QUESTION: can you leave the screws off to have a smooth handle?

        Lots of guys seem to like to clip them to the insides of their
        pockets, so this is probably a recommending feature for many.
        EDIT: This is a report of your preferences, so avoid talking about
        other people's preferences. Remove this sentence.

        The other part of replacing the little screws back into the handle
        thing is that I just noticed for the first time is that without the
        extra width of the clip,. the one torx head screw comes within a
        "squintillionth" of the actual tip of the blade. But the tolerance for
        the action is so tight that it just misses the actual cutting edge.
        This is indeed a picayune criticism, however, I must say.
        1. Remove "thing is that I just noticed for the first time"
        2. no period after clip
        3. use another description instead of `within a "squintillionth"'
        4. I don't understand how the screw is near the blade. Isn't the
        screw on the outside of the handle? Please explain.

        EDIT: Please add a section on using the knife. Is the knife long
        enough to cut what you want? Long enough to cut the bagel? You've
        mentioned that the knife is sharp. Have you noticed it dulling?
        Easy to open and close with one hand? How did it work spreading
        peanut butter?