EDIT: Revised: CRKT M16-13z

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3 7:14 AM
      Hello Casey,

      Good start to this review, but it does need some polishing.

      Lacking from the review is the required section on field information,
      i.e. testing ir reviewing environment. This should cover geographical
      area, climate (including temp, in F and C), elevation etc., so the
      reader has a good sense of the settings in which you have used the
      knife while backpacking and hiking.

      That brings me to a second concern. Though you describe many uses (and
      I'd like them to stay, since people do use their knives widely)
      these's nothing here about outdoor trips on which you have used the
      knife! The review doesn't really touch on the outdoors at all, in
      fact. Please leave what you have already written in (incorporating
      indicated edits), but do append a section of a paragraph or more on
      how you have used the knife while involved in those activities that re
      the focus of BGT.

      REPOST (with that word in the title) when ready!

      BGT OR Editor

      > Columbia River Knife & Tool M16-13z
      > September 27, 2005

      ### EDIT:

      Heading should read:

      Columbia River Knife & Tool M16-13z
      Owner Review
      Review Date: September 27, 2005

      > Backpacking Background: I spent a lot of time in the woods off and
      > on since childhood. At eighteen I became an Eagle Scout, a process
      > that involved many outdoor experiences. Recently I have been
      > getting back in the sport, mostly day hikes and weekenders. Ninety
      > percent of my backcountry time is in the North Georgia area,
      > throughout the fall, winter and spring. I am not an ultra light
      > hiker, but I generally carry less than twenty-five pounds (11.4 kg)
      > before food and fuel. My main bag is an Osprey Aether 60; as for
      > shelter I use a REI Clipper.

      ###EDIT: As this may change, and it's not really needed information,
      please delete the last line.

      > CRKT M16-13z
      > Manufacturer: Columbia River Knife & Tool
      > Year of Manufacture: 2003
      > Listed weight: 3.5. Oz (99.0 g)

      ### EDIT: 3.5 oz (99.0 g)

      > Weight as Delivered: 3.5 oz (99.0 g)
      > Blade Length: 3.50" (8.9 cm)
      > Closed Length: 4.75" (12.1 cm)
      > Open Length: 8.25" (21.0 cm)
      > MSRP: $54.99

      ### EDIT: MSRP: $54.99 US
      > Thickness: 0.10" (0.25 cm)
      > Steel: AUS 4, 55-57 HRC
      > Blade Type: "Combined Razor-Sharp and Triple-
      > Point™ Serrated Cutting Edge"
      > Description
      > The CRKT M16-13z is a folding, locking, serrated blade,
      > everyday knife.

      ### EDIT:

      Maybe better as

      The CRKT M16-13z has a folding, locking, serrated blade. It's a knife
      for everyday use.

      > Field Report
      > I use this knife all the time, from work to
      > backpacking. Last Christmas I used this at my job to open boxes,
      > and it worked just as well as the utility knifes/box openers that
      > everyone else was using. Plus I had the advantage of a full blade,
      > not just a one-inch razor. It held up fine for months of this. And
      > this blade goes with me anytime I am out of doors.

      ###EDIT: out-of-doors (or outdoors)

      This is the
      > knife I uses

      ###EDIT: use

      to slice food and the knife I use to cut rope and
      > everything in between.

      and everything in between. reads a little oddly (to me)

      perhaps "and just about anything else that needs cutting." or words to
      that effect

      I reach for it with everyday use around the
      > house as well.
      > And the blade is sharp. Far

      ### EDIT: ...sharp, far...

      sharper than the Gerber, Old
      > Timer, or Swiss Army knives I own. The only knife that I have used
      > that even comes close is my brother's K.I.S.S. and it is made by the
      > same company. I have only sharpened it once and it was really not
      > needed.

      ### EDIT: "essential." rather than "needed."

      > Deployment is easy and smooth, with the thumb flipper.
      > But with the "Carson Flipper" the blade comes out QUICK.

      ### EDIT: "Deployment is easy and smooth using the thumb flipper, but
      with the "Carson Flipper" the blade comes out QUICK"

      > There are
      > not many knives that can open this fast. Whether or not that is
      > necessary is another thing.
      > My only complaint would be the size and weight, but I am a
      > small guy so I guess that is relative. My last knife had a super
      > thin handle, so this was a step up for me and took a little getting
      > used to. It does feel better in the hand that my Gerber EZ-Out and
      > with far better construction. This knife feels solid, should last a
      > lifetime.
      > Would I buy this knife again? I already have. After
      > about six months of use, I lost mine when I moved. Once I had
      > settled into my new home, I purchased a new one. And have not
      > regretted it.

      ### EDIT:

      Once I had settled into my new home, I purchased a new one, and have
      not regretted it.

      This is overall my favorite knife that I have owned.