Revised: CRKT M16-13z

  • thewaker43
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2005
      Columbia River Knife & Tool M16-13z

      September 27, 2005

      Name: Casey Fatal
      Age: 22
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 135 lbs (61 kg)
      Email: TheWaker43@...
      Location: Acworth, Georgia, U.S.

      Backpacking Background: I spent a lot of time in the woods off and
      on since childhood. At eighteen I became an Eagle Scout, a process
      that involved many outdoor experiences. Recently I have been
      getting back in the sport, mostly day hikes and weekenders. Ninety
      percent of my backcountry time is in the North Georgia area,
      throughout the fall, winter and spring. I am not an ultra light
      hiker, but I generally carry less than twenty-five pounds (11.4 kg)
      before food and fuel. My main bag is an Osprey Aether 60; as for
      shelter I use a REI Clipper.

      CRKT M16-13z

      Manufacturer: Columbia River Knife & Tool
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      Listed weight: 3.5. Oz (99.0 g)
      Weight as Delivered: 3.5 oz (99.0 g)
      Blade Length: 3.50" (8.9 cm)
      Closed Length: 4.75" (12.1 cm)
      Open Length: 8.25" (21.0 cm)
      MSRP: $54.99

      Thickness: 0.10" (0.25 cm)
      Steel: AUS 4, 55-57 HRC
      Blade Type: "Combined Razor-Sharp and Triple-
      Point™ Serrated Cutting Edge"

      Description
      The CRKT M16-13z is a folding, locking, serrated blade,
      everyday knife. The handle is constructed of Zytel, an alterative
      to aluminum, built over stainless steel. Along the black handle run
      five holes that allow one to see the stainless steel that the Zytel
      scales were laid over. One side also features a belt clip. The
      blade is constructed of AUS 4 high carbon stainless steel. About
      one third of the blade is serrated, beginning at the handle. There
      are two areas that aid in opening the blade. The first is the
      typical thumb flipper and the second the "Carson Flipper", which is
      used by the index finger. The knife comes in a small brown
      cardboard box with only a warranty card.

      Field Report
      I use this knife all the time, from work to
      backpacking. Last Christmas I used this at my job to open boxes,
      and it worked just as well as the utility knifes/box openers that
      everyone else was using. Plus I had the advantage of a full blade,
      not just a one-inch razor. It held up fine for months of this. And
      this blade goes with me anytime I am out of doors. This is the
      knife I uses to slice food and the knife I use to cut rope and
      everything in between. I reach for it with everyday use around the
      house as well.
      And the blade is sharp. Far sharper than the Gerber, Old
      Timer, or Swiss Army knives I own. The only knife that I have used
      that even comes close is my brother's K.I.S.S. and it is made by the
      same company. I have only sharpened it once and it was really not
      needed.
      Deployment is easy and smooth, with the thumb flipper.
      But with the "Carson Flipper" the blade comes out QUICK. There are
      not many knives that can open this fast. Whether or not that is
      necessary is another thing.
      My only complaint would be the size and weight, but I am a
      small guy so I guess that is relative. My last knife had a super
      thin handle, so this was a step up for me and took a little getting
      used to. It does feel better in the hand that my Gerber EZ-Out and
      with far better construction. This knife feels solid, should last a
      lifetime.
      Would I buy this knife again? I already have. After
      about six months of use, I lost mine when I moved. Once I had
      settled into my new home, I purchased a new one. And have not
      regretted it. This is overall my favorite knife that I have owned.
      Paired with my tiny Leatherman Squirt P4, I can tackle anything.

      Things I Like
      - Sharp Blade
      - Quick Deployment
      - Cool Look
      - Solid Construction

      Things I Dislike
      - Size
      - Weight

      (But again those are relative to my small frame)
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 3, 2005
        Hello Casey,

        Good start to this review, but it does need some polishing.

        Lacking from the review is the required section on field information,
        i.e. testing ir reviewing environment. This should cover geographical
        area, climate (including temp, in F and C), elevation etc., so the
        reader has a good sense of the settings in which you have used the
        knife while backpacking and hiking.

        That brings me to a second concern. Though you describe many uses (and
        I'd like them to stay, since people do use their knives widely)
        these's nothing here about outdoor trips on which you have used the
        knife! The review doesn't really touch on the outdoors at all, in
        fact. Please leave what you have already written in (incorporating
        indicated edits), but do append a section of a paragraph or more on
        how you have used the knife while involved in those activities that re
        the focus of BGT.

        REPOST (with that word in the title) when ready!

        Best,

        Ted.

        BGT OR Editor

        > Columbia River Knife & Tool M16-13z
        >
        > September 27, 2005

        ### EDIT:

        Heading should read:

        Columbia River Knife & Tool M16-13z
        Owner Review
        Review Date: September 27, 2005

        > Backpacking Background: I spent a lot of time in the woods off and
        > on since childhood. At eighteen I became an Eagle Scout, a process
        > that involved many outdoor experiences. Recently I have been
        > getting back in the sport, mostly day hikes and weekenders. Ninety
        > percent of my backcountry time is in the North Georgia area,
        > throughout the fall, winter and spring. I am not an ultra light
        > hiker, but I generally carry less than twenty-five pounds (11.4 kg)
        > before food and fuel. My main bag is an Osprey Aether 60; as for
        > shelter I use a REI Clipper.

        ###EDIT: As this may change, and it's not really needed information,
        please delete the last line.

        > CRKT M16-13z
        >
        > Manufacturer: Columbia River Knife & Tool
        > Year of Manufacture: 2003
        > Listed weight: 3.5. Oz (99.0 g)

        ### EDIT: 3.5 oz (99.0 g)

        > Weight as Delivered: 3.5 oz (99.0 g)
        > Blade Length: 3.50" (8.9 cm)
        > Closed Length: 4.75" (12.1 cm)
        > Open Length: 8.25" (21.0 cm)
        > MSRP: $54.99

        ### EDIT: MSRP: $54.99 US

        > Thickness: 0.10" (0.25 cm)
        > Steel: AUS 4, 55-57 HRC
        > Blade Type: "Combined Razor-Sharp and Triple-
        > Point™ Serrated Cutting Edge"
        >

        > Description
        > The CRKT M16-13z is a folding, locking, serrated blade,
        > everyday knife.

        ### EDIT:

        Maybe better as

        The CRKT M16-13z has a folding, locking, serrated blade. It's a knife
        for everyday use.

        > Field Report
        > I use this knife all the time, from work to
        > backpacking. Last Christmas I used this at my job to open boxes,
        > and it worked just as well as the utility knifes/box openers that
        > everyone else was using. Plus I had the advantage of a full blade,
        > not just a one-inch razor. It held up fine for months of this. And
        > this blade goes with me anytime I am out of doors.

        ###EDIT: out-of-doors (or outdoors)

        This is the
        > knife I uses

        ###EDIT: use

        to slice food and the knife I use to cut rope and
        > everything in between.

        ###EDIT:

        and everything in between. reads a little oddly (to me)

        perhaps "and just about anything else that needs cutting." or words to
        that effect

        I reach for it with everyday use around the
        > house as well.
        > And the blade is sharp. Far

        ### EDIT: ...sharp, far...

        sharper than the Gerber, Old
        > Timer, or Swiss Army knives I own. The only knife that I have used
        > that even comes close is my brother's K.I.S.S. and it is made by the
        > same company. I have only sharpened it once and it was really not
        > needed.

        ### EDIT: "essential." rather than "needed."

        > Deployment is easy and smooth, with the thumb flipper.
        > But with the "Carson Flipper" the blade comes out QUICK.

        ### EDIT: "Deployment is easy and smooth using the thumb flipper, but
        with the "Carson Flipper" the blade comes out QUICK"

        > There are
        > not many knives that can open this fast. Whether or not that is
        > necessary is another thing.
        > My only complaint would be the size and weight, but I am a
        > small guy so I guess that is relative. My last knife had a super
        > thin handle, so this was a step up for me and took a little getting
        > used to. It does feel better in the hand that my Gerber EZ-Out and
        > with far better construction. This knife feels solid, should last a
        > lifetime.
        > Would I buy this knife again? I already have. After
        > about six months of use, I lost mine when I moved. Once I had
        > settled into my new home, I purchased a new one. And have not
        > regretted it.

        ### EDIT: