REPOST - OWNER REVIEW - Bibler Bombshelter

  • richardglyon
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      Roger,

      Also reposted to the Test folder. I addressed each of your
      edits/comments except:

      Variation from listed dimensions. The difference in vesti length was
      likely due to rounding and angle of pitch when I measured. I didn't
      think it was noteworthy.

      Capacity. Yes, four ultralight Thermarests fit exactly, from one wall
      to the next, and if four campers used mummy bags and didn't move at
      all when asleep there would only be minor inconveniences until one had
      to use the loo. I tested the tent once (strictly for science) with two
      couples, each in a "coupled" double bag, and yes we fit but it wasn't
      comfortable and just seemed overcrowded. I don't doubt it can be done;
      Bibler wouldn't adtertise it as a four-man tent if it hadn't been done
      under very tough conditions. But four's too cramped for me.

      Formatting the table. I don't undertand what you want me to do -
      center the text in the two right colums?

      OWNER REVIEW – BIBLER BOMBSHELTER
      Richard Lyon
      September 25, 2005

      Product: Bibler Bombshelter mountaineering tent
      Manufacturer: Bibler Tents (Black Diamond Equipment, Ltd. acquired
      Bibler subsequently to my purchase.)
      Year of manufacture: 1990
      Year of Purchase: 1990
      URL www.bdel.com (Bibler tents are still accessible directly at
      www.biblertents.com)
      PRODUCT DETAILS
      Weight:
      Item Weight – listed* Weight - measured
      All-in (Tent, poles, stakes, stuff sacks, guy lines) 9 lb 12 oz*
      (4.4 kg) 9 lb 6 oz (4.25 kg)
      Tent and large stuff sack** not listed 6 lb 4 oz (2.84 kg)
      Poles, stakes, and small stuffsack** not listed 3 lb 2 oz
      (1.42 kg)
      Ground cloth 12 oz (335 g) 10 oz (280 g)
      Pocket Pal (see review) 2 oz (57 g) 2 oz (57 g)
      *These are weights listed in September 2005 on the Black Diamond
      website. Listed weight includes seam sealer, syringe, instructions,
      and packing. Tent and poles are listed at 8 lb 13 oz (4 kg). I
      bought the tent in 1990 and it is likely that listed weight has
      changed slightly since then. See review, last section.
      **The best way to divide the tent between two backpackers is to have
      one take the tent body and groundsheet and the other take the poles
      and stakes.
      Dimensions:
      Dimension Listed Measured
      Tent body length 90 in (2.3 m) 89 in (2.3 m)
      Tent body width 80 in (2.0 m) 80 in (2.0 m)
      Tent body height (at peak) 44 in (1.12 m) 45 in (1.14 m)
      Front vestibule (trapezoidal) length (tent door to vesti door) 35 in
      (90 cm) 33 in (85 cm)
      Rear vestibule (triangular) length (tent door to vesti door) 21 in
      (54 cm) 20 in (52 cm)
      Packed size not listed With poles, stakes, groundsheet and
      small repair kit: 10 x 21 x 6 in (25 x 53 x 15 cm)Tent, groundsheet,
      and repair kit: 10 x 21 x 4 in (25 x 53 x 10 cm)Poles and stakes
      only**: 20 x 5 x 3 in (51 x 13 x 8 cm)

      Floor area: Tent 50 sq ft (4.6 m2); total vestibule space (two
      vestibules) 20 sq ft (1.9 m2)
      MSRP: Tent $799; ground cloth $49.95. (All dollar figures are U.S.
      dollars.) These are 2005 prices. When I bought the tent in 1990,
      list price for the tent was $995.
      Color: Yellow. Once available in Bibler's signature green, but Black
      Diamond's website now lists only yellow. It can today be purchased
      with regular or fire retardant fabric.
      Includes: Five shock-corded Easton aluminum poles, twelve stakes,
      separate stuff sacks for tent and poles, extra guy lines, and a
      syringe and tube of seam sealer.
      PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
      The Bombshelter is a two-door, dome style, single wall, four-season
      tent designed and marketed for extreme conditions. (When I bought
      mine, Bibler's advertising blurb began "Denali? Been There. Everest?
      Done that.") The tent body is ToddTex, a proprietary waterproof and
      breathable PTFE fabric named after tent icon and company founder Todd
      Bibler. The floor is black heavy-duty laminated polyurethane that has
      one seam and extends two inches (5 cm) up the walls. There's a door
      at each end (front door is slightly larger), each with two separately
      double-zippered panels: no-see-um netting on the outside and fabric on
      the inside. Separate hook-and-loop tie-offs at the side of each tent
      door may be used to keep an opened door out of harm's way.
      There are four staking loops along each sidewall. The optional ground
      cloth has loops of nylon twine that are threaded through the corner
      staking loops. Each sidewall has a three-point guy line (two points
      attached to tent wall) that can be staked out for added stability.
      Loops of reflective material on each corner of the tent body can also
      be used for guy lines and BD supplies guy rope for this purpose.
      Two attached vestibules are made of grey treated polyurethane (lighter
      weight than the floor). The front vestibule is hooped with a pole and
      has two stakeout points; the triangular rear vestibule has no pole and
      a single stakeout point. The fabric overlaps at the top of each
      vestibule, creating a small vent at the top, with the front vent
      reinforced with a thin wire hoop. Each vestibule has a fabric door
      with double zippers.
      The vestibules give the tent something of a tunnel or bunker look
      (maybe that's how the tent got its name) when viewed from outside, but
      with a 45 in (1.14 m) ceiling and high sidewall angles even a tall
      adult like me can sit up naturally inside.
      SETUP and TAKEDOWN
      It took me several trial runs at home and some frustrating experience
      on the trail to get the hang of pitching the Bombshelter, but once
      learned it's not difficult and can be completed quickly by two
      people.
      All Bibler tents use interior poles and, since the Bombshelter's
      vestibules are attached (not standard on all Bibler tents), it must be
      set up from the inside. In wet conditions two (or one, just takes
      longer) can pitch the tent with each sitting inside but keeping feet
      with snowy boots in a vestibule. There are no pole sleeves; the
      proper track for the poles is shown by "twist ties," nine flexible
      plastic fasteners on the tent walls and ceiling that when cinched hold
      the poles in place.
      After assembling all five poles, with the four long four poles (all
      the same length) inserted through a tent door, we set two into
      grommets in the tent's corners so that the poles extend from corner to
      corner diagonally, crisscrossing at the top of the canopy. The third
      pole ends fit into small sleeves on the sidewalls, at the base of the
      tent one-third of the way from the rear door, and the arched pole is
      canted forward. The fourth pole fits into small sleeves one-third of
      the way from the front door and is similarly canted back. The third
      and fourth poles thus have an inverted U-shape, with the peak of the
      arch secured by a twist tie just above the top of a tent door.
      The poles fit very tightly and require some manipulation (particularly
      of the third and fourth poles) in order to get them seated properly.
      Fifteen years of bending the poles has made an exact fit difficult but
      the tent is stable if we can cinch the ties at each of the seven
      points where poles intersect.
      After setting up and staking the tent and rear vestibule, I set the
      fifth pole (shorter than the others) to complete the front vestibule
      by placing the ends in grommets on each side near the tent door
      (another tight fit), canting it forward, and securing it with Velcro
      ties on the vestibule ceiling, just above the vestibule door. I then
      stake out the front vestibule and the guy lines.
      Striking and storing the tent are most efficiently accomplished by
      proceeding in the following order. With the tent doors zipped open, I
      first remove the poles, then the stakes. If it's windy, I leave one
      corner stake on the windward side. I then fold the vestibules over
      the tent body, making a large rectangle. This I fold in half
      longitudinally twice, leaving a rectangle approximately 90 by 20
      inches (2.3 m x 50 cm), with the underside of the tent floor on the
      outside. I carefully roll this up from front to back, compressing the
      folds with my knees as I do so. If tent and groundsheet are folded in
      this manner both fit easily into the main stuff sack with room to add
      the separate stuff sack with stakes and poles, and a small repair
      kit. Random stuffing and all won't fit.
      EVALUATION
      Field Conditions. The Bombshelter is my winter tent. I have used it
      occasionally in other seasons, when I need shelter for three (more on
      this below), when weight isn't a special concern (the occasional canoe
      or stock-supported trip), or when I expect heavy weather. Short of
      climbing conditions, this tent has been through it all. Normal winter
      nights in the Rockies mean temperatures down to 0 F (-18 C) or lower,
      and I have used this tent several times at -25 F (-32 C). It kept our
      group dry in an eighteen-hour winter blizzard in the Sangre de Cristos
      Mountains, Colorado, and has stood up to ferocious winds in all
      seasons. The worst beating the tent took came in summer from repeated
      thunderstorms in Alaska Basin, Wyoming. This area is relatively
      exposed and the Big Rock immediately to the east, popularly known as
      the Grand Teton, wouldn't let the storm pass through. For two days we
      were bombarded with heavy rain and at one point with marble-sized
      hailstones. The taut pitch and fabric strength of the Bombshelter
      handled all this and the attendant windborne debris without a
      problem.
      Features. For organized storage there's a small net pocket in each
      corner, just above the floor section, ideal for small items like a
      flashlight or sunglasses. I often supplement this with a "Pocket
      Pal," a six-pocketed mesh panel ($19.95 from BD) that extends along
      one wall and ties onto the tent poles. BD also sells ($15.95) a
      small "attic" that can be attached to the poles for additional storage
      at the top of the tent. The interior poles make it easy to hang a
      lantern or tie a clothesline inside the tent.
      Capacity. Three adult backpackers with winter kit is a crowded but
      workable fit, at least in an emergency, as I discovered early in the
      tent's career on the Sangre de Christos trip when two fellow
      travelers' tent collapsed under the weight of snow and one had to
      share shelter with us. I never plan to use the Bombshelter for more
      than two in winter though. The tent is spacious for two; packs can be
      stored in the smaller rear vestibule and the front vestibule used for
      smaller items and cooking. With packs outside in summer and fall this
      tent accommodates three adults comfortably.
      All of this is somewhat amusing since BD sells the Bombshelter as a
      four-person tent. I tried it once (in summer, with three adults and a
      twelve-year old boy) with no large pieces of gear in the tent, and all
      participants still complained of overcrowding. Do the arithmetic:
      twenty inches' (51 cm) width per person makes for tight quarters.
      This tent was designed for serious mountaineering. All I can say is
      that four adult climbers who live in the Bombshelter, with all their
      equipment, will give new meaning to the expression "cheek by jowl."
      However, if used for four the tent is lightweight by any standard.
      Speaking of weight, when I bought this tent its single-wall
      construction placed it near the lightweight end of the spectrum for
      all three-person tents and particularly for those suitable for four-
      season use. For summer backpacking there are today significantly
      lighter weight options, including full (i.e, sewn-in floor) tents,
      from reputable manufacturers, though the Bombshelter still holds its
      own in the four-season category.
      I've never liked cooking inside a tent, but have used the
      Bombshelter's front vestibule for that purpose.
      Protection. Though seam-taped at the factory, Bibler recommends seam
      sealing and provides a syringe and tube of sealer with the tent.
      ToddTex has made me a lifetime single-wall proponent. At very low
      temperatures (well below 0 F, -18 C) it can lose some of its ability
      to breathe and the poles will then accumulate minor amounts of frost,
      but the only water on the tent body is what occupants have brought in
      on their clothes or gear. With the single wall, wet things that are
      brought in dry faster. Snug and dry in all weather, immovable, and
      with no rainfly flapping in the wind much quieter than a double-wall
      tent. Ventilation is not a problem in summer because I can leave the
      vestibule doors open without fear of rain into the tent even with only
      the screened doors closed.
      Durability and Maintenance. The Bombshelter is as tough a backpacking
      tent as I have ever owned or used. I've never had to treat the tent
      fabric, and the only patching I've done over fifteen years is to
      repair the consequences of my own carelessness with sharp objects. I
      re-sealed the seams a few years ago strictly as preventive
      maintenance. After extended use I wash the tent with mild soapy water
      and dry it outdoors or treat it with an anti-mildew product such as
      MiraZyme.
      What I like
      Bombproof (It really is a bombshelter.)
      Single wall (Saves weight, easier and faster to pitch, quieter in the
      wind, dries quickly in the sun.)
      No condensation on inside tent walls
      Built in vestibules (Clip-on vestibules on other Bibler tents are
      difficult (when wearing gloves, impossible) to attach (see my review
      of the Ahwahnee) and I consider a vestibule a necessity on a winter
      tent.)
      Design (There's no wasted space inside. Snow slides right off the
      roof.)
      Customer service (BD employees are friendly and helpful over the
      phone, with all products the company sells.)
      Nitpicks
      Bibler/BD's claim of four-person capacity.
      Vestibule pole is fastened with Velcro instead of twist ties (Much
      more difficult to manage when wearing mittens, and not as reliable.)
      Vestibule doors have no tie-offs.
      Large footprint for a two-person tent.
      Bottom Line
      Today's Bombshelter looks much the same as the one I bought fifteen
      years ago. That doesn't mean the tent hasn't been improved. BD is
      constantly tweaking the tiniest details to improve its tents and bivy
      shelters. Once upon a time the tent poles were held in place by
      strips of material tied together with Velcro. BD replaced that with
      the twist ties, which are both easier to fasten and more reliable.
      Today's hook-and-loop fasteners for the doors are adjustable, using a
      movable toggle (similar to those used on a jacket or backpack). If a
      bright idea or new technology improves a tent, after proper testing it
      becomes standard equipment. If Bibler got it right the first time
      (e.g., ToddTex fabric, tent design), BD doesn't mess with success.
      This philosophy and truly exceptional workmanship make any Bibler tent
      good value.
      The Bombshelter is a terrific all-season expedition and base camp
      shelter.
      Backpacking background
      Male, 59 years old
      Height: 6' 4" (1.91 m)
      Weight: 200 lb (91 kg)
      Email address: rlyon AT gibsondunn DOT com
      Home: Dallas, Texas USA
      I've been backpacking for 45 years on and off, and regularly in the
      Rockies since I moved to Texas in 1986. I do a weeklong trip every
      summer, and often take three-day trips. I'm usually camping in alpine
      terrain, at altitudes 5000 to 13,000 ft (1500 - 4000 m). I prefer base
      camp backpacking, a long hike in with day trips from camp, but I do my
      share of forced marches too. Regardless of type of trip, I'll tote a
      few extra pounds to have the camp conveniences I've come to expect.