EDIT: Bibler Bombshelter - Richard Lyon

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2005
      EDIT: Bibler Bombshelter - Richard Lyon

      Hi Richard

      Me again. :-)
      I almost get the impression you like this tent!
      Yes, well written and good stuff. I would dearly love a pic or two of the tent - one technical one and one of it in the
      mountains. Optional of course, but so helpful.

      Pretty good all around.
      I have a few EDITs for you, plus some small style comments for your consideration. The latter are purely optional, but I
      thought I would include them as a courtesy.

      Could you REPOST here and in the Test/OR folder please when done.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT OR EDitor
      -------------------------
      > Pocket Pal 2 oz (57 g) 2 oz (57 g)
      Edit: Maybe a note here that this is explained below? My 'Pocket Pal' is a Swiss Army Knife.

      > Front vestibule (trapezoidal) length (tent door to vesti door) 35
      > in (90 cm) 33 in (85 cm)
      > Rear vestibule (triangular) length (tent door to vesti door) 21
      > in (54 cm) 20 in (52 cm)
      Comment: my curiosity is aroused: any idea why the quoted dimensions are larger than your measurements show? If not, do
      not worry about it. We are used to these sorts of variations.

      > Packed size not listed With poles, stakes, groundsheet and
      > small repair kit: 10 x 21 x 6 in (25 x 53 x 15 cm)Tent, groundsheet,
      > and repair kit: 10 x 21 x 4 in (25 x 53 x 10 cm)Poles and stakes
      > only**: 20 x 5 x 3 in (51 x 13 x 8 cm)
      Comment: we would love it more if you sorted such heaps of text out when converting from html to plain text. I use Note
      Tab Light which does a good job of this conversion.

      > **The best way to divide the tent between two backpackers is to have
      > one take the tent body and groundsheet and the other take the poles
      > and stakes.
      EDIT: you have this sentence in two places. Only one place needed.

      > slightly larger), each with separately double-zippered no-see-um
      Edit: I found this sentence a little awkward. You could write
      'with separate double-zippered no-see-um netting'
      but the choice is yours.

      > Separate hook-and-loop tie-offs for each at the side of the tent
      > doors may be used to keep an opened door out of harm's way.
      Edit: I found this sentence a little awkward. You could write something like
      'Separate hook-and-loop tie-offs at the side of each tent door may be used'
      but the choice is yours.

      > ground cloth has loops of twine that are threaded through the corner
      Comment: I tend to think of 'twine' as being made of natural fibre. My bias of course. 'String' maybe? Your choice.

      > Pitching the Bombshelter takes some practice and I recommend several
      Edit: we normally avoid making recommendations to others.

      > it must be set up must be done from the inside.
      EDIT: this needs rephrasing.

      > Fifteen years of bending the poles made an exact fit difficult but
      Edit: 'has made' might be smoother here.

      > by placing the ends in grommets on each side near the tent door
      > (another tight fit), cant it forward, and secure it with Velcro ties
      EDIT: change tense: placing => canting and securing. Or the other way if you wish.

      > I first remove the poles, then the stakes (if it's windy, all but
      > one corner stake on the windward side).
      Edit: a trfle awkward. I stumbled. I offer the following:
      'I first remove the poles and then the stakes. If it's windy I remove
      all but one corner stake on the windward side.'

      > I then fold the vestibules over the tent body; making a large rectangle.
      EDIT: change ; to comma

      > This I fold in half longitudinally twice; leaving a rectangle
      EDIT: ditto

      > Random stuffing makes the sack too small.
      EDIT: I'm sort of lost here. The sack does not change size. Do you mean 'Random stuffing does not get the tent into the
      bag' ?

      > travelers' tent collapsed under weight of snow and
      Edit: a bit shorthand. Maybe 'under the weight of snow' ?

      > twenty inches' (51 cm) width per person makes for tight quarters.
      Comment: that's the width of a Therm-a-Rest. If you can get four of them side by side, that surely ought to be enough
      room? But then, I sleep snuggled up next to my wife, and that takes less room :-)