Owner Review: REI Lexan Cup - John Jones

  • Acer0001
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005
      Owner Review – REI Lexan Cup

      Name: John L. Jones
      Age: 34
      Gender: male
      Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75m)
      Weight: 255 lbs (116 kg)
      Email address: Acer0001@...
      City, State, Country: Georgetown, Texas, USA
      Date: September 15th, 2005

      Backpacking Background:

      On January 1st, 2004, my family and I went hiking on a trail around a
      local reservoir. I enjoyed the outdoors so much that the feeling of
      hiking and backpacking as a Boy Scout rekindled the passion. Now,
      every other weekend includes a solo hike or overnighter, regardless of
      the season, enjoying the peacefulness of solitude. My hiking terrain
      consists of the semi-desert climate of the Texas hill country, where
      temperatures soar well over 100 F (38 C) in the summer and 40 F (4 C)
      in winter. I usually heft a 30-45 lb. (14 kg – 20 kg) pack, but I am
      taking steps to lighten my load. Multi-day adventures are scheduled as
      often as the work and family calendar permit.

      Product Information:

      Product: REI Lexan Cup
      Manufacturer: manufactured for REI
      Web site: www.rei.com
      MSRP: $3.75 USD
      Year of manufacture: 2005
      Dimensions: 3.75 x 2.75 in (9.5 cm x 7 cm)
      Actual weight: 3.0 oz (85 g)
      Capacity: 12 oz (355 ml)
      Available colors: clear

      Field Information:

      This cup has been used almost exclusively in the hill country of
      central Texas on approximately 6 -7 trips. The terrain has mostly
      consisted of rocky ground with cactus and thorny areas, with
      occasional elevation at 2,000 to 3,000 feet (610 m to 914 m). The
      weather in this region can vary from a calm desert-like climate with
      temperatures reaching 100+ F (38+ C) to violent thunderstorms. The
      majority of the time, camp has been pitched and evening meals have
      been made in the dark, after sunset.

      Product Description:

      The REI Lexan Cup is a clear cup with a handle used for measuring
      liquids when camping and backpacking. The mouth of the cup measures 3
      ¾ in (9.5 cm) in diameter and the base measures 3 in (7.6 cm) in
      diameter. The handle and the cup are from one Lexan plastic mold. The
      handle protrudes from the top rim at a sharp angle and bends downward
      to create an area to grip with my hands. The REI logo is embossed on
      the top of the handle. Measurement markings in ¼ cup increments are
      marked so they can be read from the inside of the cup. The cup does
      not have metric markings.

      Things I like:

      The markings on this cup are very readable from the inside, even at
      night when most of my evening meals are made. The ¼ cup markings are
      easy to read with headlamp LED light and have been accurate for the
      meals I make. In addition, the cup's clear color makes it easy to
      distinguish the liquid level, from both inside and outside of the cup,
      in daylight or by artificial light.

      I use this cup primarily for measuring boiling water for freezer bag
      cooking, but it also works great for a drinking cup. The clear color
      is also great for making sure that mixes are well stirred, such as hot
      chocolate or powdered drink mixes. The handle stays cool and easy to
      hold due to the space between the cup body and the handle. I have
      never been burned by boiling water while holding this cup by its
      handle. I have small hands and have no fear of dropping the cup while
      using it. The smooth sipping rim makes this cup comfortable to drink
      from. I have not experienced any taste change in the liquids I drink
      while using it. The hook-style handle lets me use it as a serving
      utensil for soups or stews from larger pots when serving larger groups.

      Due to the design and Lexan material that this cup is made from, it is
      almost unbreakable. I have dropped it several times on rocky ground
      and even down a 10 ft (3 m) rocky cliff and it survived without any
      cracks or structural damage. I use it to measure boiling water, so I
      know it can withstand very hot liquid temperatures. Since it doesn't
      get below 32 F (0 C) here in Texas very often, I haven't had the
      opportunity to use it in sub-zero temperatures.

      Another advantage to using this cup is its very light weight, 3 oz (85
      g). This weight is about the same or lighter than other titanium cups
      on the market that are ten or more times the cost. For me, the weight
      of this cup isn't noticed in my pack.

      The dimensions of this cup allow it to sit stable on the ground or
      semi-flat surfaces in contrast to sierra cups with small bases and
      wide sipping rims. It isn't any easier to knock this cup over while
      sitting of a flat surface than any other cup.

      Things that can be improved:

      When I bought this cup, I didn't have my MSR Titan Kettle with me to
      see whether this cup could be nested into it, but I bought it anyway
      since the price was affordable. Later, I found out that the cup's
      handle was about 1/8 in (3 mm) too long horizontally to fit into the
      kettle. This was a disappointment, but I still included it in my
      cooking kit, at the expense of more bulk. Due to this, the cup does
      take up extra space in my pack.

      Since the cup is clear Lexan, I have noticed that with aggressive use,
      it can be scratched, possibly reducing the readability qualities of
      the liquid level and measuring markings by artificial light. This can
      be prevented by taking extra special care to avoid rough usage, but
      due to its inexpensive cost, it might be worth purchasing a
      replacement every season.

      This cup does not protect your hands from heat when grasped by the cup
      body and is non-insulating, in contrast to double-walled mugs. If the
      handle is used, there is minimal chance for burning your hands. Hot
      drinks will cool faster when the cup is used for drinking.

      I have enjoyed using the REI Lexan Cup on my backpacking trips. It has
      proven to be durable, withstanding being dropped on rocks and being
      used with very hot boiling water. I will continue to use it as a
      measuring and drinking cup due to its comfortable handle and lip. A
      slightly shorter handle, making this cup narrower, will help its
      storability in the MSR Titan Kettle, making it more appealing to these
      users. The stability, light weight and low purchase price of this cup
      will keep me using it for a long time.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 29, 2005

        reviews before submission.

        start applying for Tests.

        Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
          Hello John,

          Here's your edit. Since there are few corrections, would you please,
          when you REPOST, also place an HTML copy in the test folder.

          Ted

          BGT OR EDITOR

          > Owner Review – REI Lexan Cup

          ### EDIT Please put review date under title
          Review Date: September 15th, 2005

          > Name: John L. Jones
          > Age: 34
          > Gender: male
          > Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75m)

          ### EDIT: (1.75 m) [missed space between measurement and unit]

          > Weight: 255 lbs (116 kg)
          > Email address: Acer0001@e...
          > City, State, Country: Georgetown, Texas, USA
          > Date: September 15th, 2005

          ### EDIT: Remove date from here, since it is now at head of review.

          > Backpacking Background:
          >
          > On January 1st, 2004, my family and I went hiking on a trail around a
          > local reservoir. I enjoyed the outdoors so much that the feeling of
          > hiking and backpacking as a Boy Scout rekindled the passion.

          ### EDIT: confusing sentence. Did you mean something along the lines of

          "I enjoyed this so much that it rekindled the passion for hiking and
          backpackng I had felt as a Boy Scout."

          Now,
          > every other weekend includes a solo hike or overnighter, regardless of
          > the season, enjoying the peacefulness of solitude.

          > Things I like:
          >
          > The markings on this cup are very readable from the inside,

          ### COMMENT: I'm a bit puzzled here, as I usually read the
          measurements in a measuring cup from the outside at eye level, so that
          I can see where the fluid level falls in relation to the markings. Did
          you indeed mean inside?

          > Another advantage to using this cup is its very light weight, 3 oz (85
          > g). This weight is about the same or lighter than other titanium cups
          > on the market that are ten or more times the cost. For me, the weight
          > of this cup isn't noticed in my pack.
          >
          > The dimensions of this cup allow it to sit stable on the ground or
          > semi-flat surfaces in contrast to sierra

          ### EDIT: Sierra

          cups with small bases and
          > wide sipping rims. It isn't any easier to knock this cup over while
          > sitting of a flat surface than any other cup.
          >

          > Things that can be improved:
          >
          > When I bought this cup, I didn't have my MSR Titan Kettle with me to
          > see whether this cup could be nested into it, but I bought it anyway
          > since the price was affordable. Later, I found out that the cup's
          > handle was about 1/8 in (3 mm) too long horizontally to fit into the
          > kettle. This was a disappointment, but I still included it in my
          > cooking kit, at the expense of more bulk. Due to this, the cup does
          > take up extra space in my pack.

          ### COMMENT: This is in the nature of a query, not an edit. Is it
          possible to cut the cup handle down so it does fir, without adversely
          affecting functionality?
        • Acer0001
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2005
            Ted -

            Thanks for your suggestions. I have included the edited copy here and
            posted it in HTML format in the test folder.

            > ### COMMENT: This is in the nature of a query, not an edit. Is it
            > possible to cut the cup handle down so it does fir, without
            adversely affecting functionality?

            To answer your question, possibly some of the handle sides could be
            shaved off, but this would make the handle thinner, making the cup
            harder to manage when full. I've decided to just deal with it size in
            exchange for its weight savings. Of course this is a personal
            preference. You can take a look at the cup here and see what I mean:

            http://tinyurl.com/bk285

            Let me know if anything else is needed for this OR. Thanks again.

            John Jones

            Owner Review – REI Lexan Cup
            Date: September 15th, 2005

            Name: John L. Jones
            Age: 34
            Gender: male
            Height: 5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
            Weight: 255 lbs (116 kg)
            Email address: Acer0001@...
            City, State, Country: Georgetown, Texas, USA

            Backpacking Background:
            On January 1st, 2004, my family and I went hiking on a trail around a
            local reservoir. I enjoyed this so much that it rekindled the passion
            for hiking and backpacking I had felt as a Boy Scout. Now, every
[...]

            3/4 in (9.5 cm) in diameter and the base measures 3 in (7.6 cm) in
            diameter. The handle and the cup are from one Lexan plastic mold. The
            handle protrudes from the top rim at a sharp angle and bends downward
            to create an area to grip with my hands. The REI logo is embossed on
            the top of the handle. Measurement markings in 1/4 cup increments
            are marked so they can be read from the inside of the cup. The cup
            does not have metric markings.

            Things I like:

            The markings on this cup are very readable from the inside and the
            outside, even at night when most of my evening meals are made. The
            1/4 cup markings are easy to read with headlamp LED light and have

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 5, 2005
              Hi John,

              Thanks for the quick turnaround. Just as a reminder, please try to
              remember to put REPOST in front of an edit response (or REVISED if
              it's a new version you have created of an as-yet-unedited text). Jamie
              D., the edit moderator, will probably pick it up regardless, but it
              makes her life harder if they aren't labelled correctly.

              A few small edits:

              >Weight: 255 lbs (116 kg)

              ### EDIT: 255 lb (116 kg) House practice is to use the singular.

              > Multi-day adventures are scheduled as often as the work and family
              calendar permit.

              ### EDIT: We like to have bios at around a hundred words. You are a
              little over, not hugely, but I don't think the above sentence adds
              much info for the reader, so please cut. The review's then closer to
              the desired length.

              > Web site: www.rei.com

              ### EDIT: Please be sure to make mfr website links clickable. This isn't.

              > 6 -7 trips

              EDIT: six or seven trips As a general rule, write out numbers
              under ten when they are not attached to a measurement

              Please upload to:

              http://tinyurl.com/bg487

              When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
              marked Owner Review.

              support group,

              BGTFileUploadHelp @

              As this is your second approved review, if you have submitted a Tester
              Agreement, for which see:

              that has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to participate in
              the testing process by applying for tests. If you have not sent your
              paperwork in, please do so at your earliest opportunity.

              For further details see

              http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

              You will also need to join:

              This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.

              However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner
              Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing
              and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

              Congratulations!

              Ted

              BGT OR EDITOR