owner review

  • dawnhark
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 8, 2002
      Please open a file for my Lowa Tempest Mid boots owner review--thx!
    • m.chasen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
        Sigg Firejet Multi-fuel Stove

        Name:Matt Chasen
        Age:32
        Ht. 5'10"(1.8meters)
        wt.160(73 kilograms)
        email: m.chasem@...
        City: Columbia
        State: Missouri
        country:USA
        Date:Jan. 3,2005

        Bio: Been hiking and backpacking seriously since 1995, and love to hike and camp in all weather. Mostly in three seasons though:fall, winter, and spring. Summer months just have too many ticks and chiggers in Missouri, so I mostly go mountain biking,canoeing,and rapelling during those months. My experience is mostly in Missouri, though I have done some trips in some of the western states(colorado,wyoming). Currently, I am trying to make the switch to being a distance hiker. Tempature ranges have been wide and eye opening.

        PRODUCT INFO
        manufaturer: Sigg
        year of manufacture:2001
        url www.sigg.co.uk
        this may not work anymore for they have quit making stove and maybe going out of business
        weight:13ounces(369 ounces)
        weight delivered: N/A
        length:4"(.40cm)
        width: 3-1/2"(.35cm)

        Fuel type: unleaded, white gas, and kerosene

        MSRP: $70 plus fuel bottle

        Fuel consumption: Spent 4 days on the Ozark Trail (Current River section),with a party of three and just the one stove with a 18.7 fl.oz.(30 ml) fuel cell. We stretched the fuel and made it last three days, but generally I'd say that's just enough for two on a long weekend. Simmering was only sort of possible but I was able to boil a liter of water in about two and half minutes. This stove has performed at all degrees of temperature. Though, I've found it necessary to keep it super clean in order to guarantee, starting the stovewith out problems.

        Still without question I love this stove and wish they were still in production. Even at sub temps, this stove fired and had my coffee made before anyone else could crawl out of their sacks.

      • m.chasen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
          North Face Cat's Meow 20f(-7c)sleeping bag

          Name:Matt Chasen
          Age:32
          Ht. 5'10"(1.8meters)
          wt.160(73 kilograms)
          email: m.chasem@...
          City: Columbia
          State: Missouri
          country:USA
          Date:Jan. 3,2005

          Bio: Been hiking and backpacking seriously since 1995, and love to hike and camp in all weather. Mostly in three seasons though:fall, winter, and spring. Summer months just have too many ticks and chiggers in Missouri, so I mostly go mountain biking,canoeing,and rapelling during those months. My experience is mostly in Missouri, though I have done some trips in some of the western states(colorado,wyoming). Currently, I am trying to make the switch to being a distance hiker. Tempature ranges have been wide and eye opening.

          PRODUCT INFO
          manufaturer: North Face
          year of manufacture:2001
          model: Cat's Meow
          url www.thenorthface.com
          weight:2 lbs. 13ounces(369 ounces)
          weight delivered: N/A
          length:84"(213 cm)
          width:chest 28(71cm)
          waist 25"(64cm)
          foot box 18"(45.72cm)

          Fill type: poargaurd delta(synthetic)
          fabric:
          top- firestorm
          bottom-bottomline taffeta
          suggested temp:20F/-7c
          My suggested temp: 30f/-1.10c

          MSRP:$`159

          way tested: This bag has been with me for three years now and I have slept out in every season with it. The Bag performs well for a three season bag and does great in wet weather. However; I found it to be alittle over rated on some of my winter hikes. Where I did'nt find the temperatures to be so low but I still woke up cold. The Lowest temp I've slept out in this bag would probably be -5f/-20.55c and the warmest is in the 70f/21.77c degree range. All in all a great bag. The pillow stuff pocket i've found to be useless but the glow in the dark zipperpulls and the head level watch pocket are somewhat nice though. Compressability is impressable for a sythetic and weight a great plus. After three years this bag has lost alot of loft and not due to washing, or being wet, but just due to number of days in the field compressed. Also, the manufacturer saved in weight by not insulating the bottom as well as the top. I believe, this sacrifices some valueable comfort and a loss of good heat.

        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "m.chasen" <m.chasen@m...>
            wrote:
            > Sigg Firejet Multi-fuel Stove

            Hi Matt C

            This OR like the other two you submitted is missing a lot of the
            info. BGT requires. I have posted your mentor request to Stephanie
            and I'm sure she will get you in the "program" as soon as possible.
            In the meantime please refrain from posting any more Owner Reviews.
            Without the required info. I am unable to add them to the Queue so no
            progress is being made. Your mentor will get you on track then you
            can post away. Hang in there, the process is a little daunting at
            first but this place is well worth your time.

            Thanks
            Jamie D
            Edit Admin Officer
          • m.chasen

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 5, 2005
                Hi Matt,

                Yes the second attempts are better and although you do have MOST of
                the required info. (bio, metric conversions, product info., etc) the
                actual body of your reports are missing, how can I put it, enough
                useful information. Someone with more authority than I might be able
                to put this a better way but I'll give it a go. Since BGT
                supplies "the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests
                on the planet" a couple of paragraphs regarding a piece of equipement
                just is not enough information for the type of people who rely on BGT
                for gear information. Your reports need more meat and potatos,
                think, what would you want to know about this piece of gear if you
                where looking to purchase it. Additionally, you only mentioned one
                outing where you used the stove, the survival guide states that you
                must have had "significant experience in the field" with the item you
                are writing about. While you may have had significant experience,
                your report as it is does not reflect this.

                I think you have a lot to say and I'm sure with a mentors help you'll
                be fine so let's get that process going for you and you'll be all set.
                Fair enough?

                Jamie D
                Edit Admin Officer

                wrote:
                > Jamie, not sure what was missing this time and I know you said to
                wait for mentor but if you could give me a hint that would be great
                and if I should just wait,then just don't respond thanks, Matt

              • avid_hiker_23
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2008
                  Tester bio

                  Name: Benjamin Caron
                  Age: 23
                  Gender: male
                  Height: 69 ½ inches
                  Weight: 195lbs
                  Email: avidhiker@...
                  City, State, and Country: Brewer, Maine, USA
                  Date: 6 MAR 08

                  Backpacking background: I have been backpacking for over 10yrs in the woods in Maine.
                  I have spent time backpacking in South Korea while in the army. Also on the 15th of April
                  of this year I am hiking the Appalachian Trail.

                  Manufacture: Osprey
                  Model: Aether 70
                  Date of manufacture: 2007
                  Weight: 4 lbs. 12 oz.
                  Capacity: 4,400 cu. In.
                  MSRP: $249.00

                  The Osprey Aether 70 is a lightweight expedition pack. At its maximum capacity reaches
                  4,400 cu. in. The pack also features a wide range suspension system to achieve optimal
                  load placement. The packs shoulder harness and hip belt have a wide range of movement
                  for comfort. The frame consists of a two-part system combining metal frame technology
                  with a hard plastic support brace. It is also equip with an eggshell foam pad to allow air to
                  flow between the pack and the hiker. When it comes to packing your load it has a large
                  main compartment with a separated compartment for a sleeping bag and sleeping pad
                  straps. The hood compartment converts to a lumbar pack for day hikes. The Aether 70 is
                  also a capable to support a H2O bladder system. The pack has two H2O ports for hand
                  free hydration.

                  Field information

                  A. Location of tests: Mt Kahtahdin Millinocket, Me.

                  B. Location description: at its highest peak Kahtahdin reaches 5268ft with a rocky
                  wooded terrain
                  C. Weather conditions: The days I have hiked the mountain it has varied from rain, wind,
                  sleet and snow. Also there have been many beautiful days at some points reaching high
                  90's with high humidity.

                  D. I have used my Osprey Aeather 70 on many outdoor adventures. I have found it to
                  be a very handy pack. Its rugged build is prefect for the Maine woods. It holds up against
                  all Maine has to throw at it. From extreme heat and humidity to extreme cold. The three-
                  part pack compartment set up is very efficient. Also the detachable lumbar pack is great
                  for short treks around the campsite. The hydration system was also a nice added feature.
                  But the thing that stands out the most in my eyes is the suspension system. It is highly
                  adjustable with such a wide range of comfort. At times I forget about loads reaching
                  30lbs due to the extreme comfort.

                  To wrap it up all around this is a great pack. It has held up for little under a year now. It
                  is a rugged build that will put up with all nature has to throw at it.

                  Things I like

                  1. Great design
                  2. Harness suspension
                  3. Hip padding

                  Things I don't like
                  1. Could have more than 4,400 cu. in.
                  2. Nylon mesh water bottle holders tear easily
                  3. Could have more compartments
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 9, 2008
                    Hello Benjamin,

                    Welcome to BackpackGearTest. Thank you for your Owner Review, and
                    your interest in becoming a tester. Unfortunately, as it stands now
                    your review is lacking in some areas and cannot be accepted for
                    editing at this time. It is not uncommon for new writers to need a
                    bit more help before their first OR is ready for the editing
                    process. At this point you have two options.
                    1) Mentoring Program – This program teams new reviewers with
                    experienced veterans to help get them through their first review(s).
                    If you'd like more assistance or guidance with the process you can
                    request a mentor by sending an email to the mentor coordinator, Jenn
                    K, at mentor (at) backpackgeartest.org - Please use MENTOR REQUEST
                    in the subject line.

                    2) Take a second look at our Owner Review requirements spelled out
                    in the How to Become a Tester section of our webpage (link below).
                    In addition to this material we suggest reading some recently
                    approved owner reviews to get a feel for what the BGT standards are.

                    Regardless of which option you take, we certainly hope you will give
                    it another go. Our standards are high but that benefits us all. We
                    look forward to seeing your review again in the near future.

                    Edit Administration Manager