RE: REPOST-OR (Katadyn Hiker Water Filter) - Josh Cormier

  • Josh Cormier
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 3, 2005
      All changes made, thanks for the help.

      Josh

      Owner Review - Katadyn Hiker Water Filter

      Personal biographical information:
      - Name: Josh Cormier
      - Age: 25
      - Gender: Male
      - Height: 5� 11� (1.80 m)
      - Weight: 175lb (79 kg)
      - Email address: swifteagle1 at hotmail dot com
      - City: Los Gatos, California
      - Date: 28-Aug-05

      Backpacking background � I joined the Boy Scouts when I was 11 and have been
      camping and backpacking ever since. I like to do challenging trips ranging
      from week long to weekend in mountainous areas. I would classify my gear as
      mid weight although now I am trying to move more toward lightweight. I now
      go backpacking at least once a year in the Sierra Nevada Mountains as well
      as monthly car camping trips with the Scouts.

      Product Description:

      Specs:
      - Microfiltration Method: 129 square inches of pleated 0.3 micron glassfiber
      media.
      - Activated carbon core: absorbs some chemicals from the water resulting in
      reduced unpleasant taste and odor.
      - Claimed Output: Up to 1 quart (1 liter) per minute or 48 strokes per quart
      - Claimed Cartridge Capacity: Up to 200 gallons (757 L), depending on water
      quality
      - Claimed Weight: 11 oz (312 g)
      - Measured Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
      - Measured Height: 6.5" (16.51 cm)
      - Hose Length: 36� (0.91 m)
      - Measured Hose Length: one at 38" (0.97 m) and one at 33� (0.84 m)
      - Includes: Prefilter, Universal Bottle Adapter and Carry Bag
      - Manufactures web site: http://www.katadyn.com
      - Year of Manufacture: 1995
      - MSRP: $59.95

      My Description:
      The filter comes in a nice lightweight bag made out of something like
      rip-stop nylon. The hoses are two different lengths; I assume the shorter
      one goes on the bottom of the filter and the longer on the top. Also in the
      bag are the hose end attachments for both input and output hoses as well as
      some silicon grease for the pump handle. When everything is in the bag it
      makes a nice compact bundle that�s easy to pack anywhere.

      Field-testing:
      Right after buying the filter I opened the box and realized the filter no
      longer came with the hook that connects to the hose allowing you to hook the
      hose over the top of your water bottle. Running back to the store I was able
      to get an old hook from them that had been returned with another model. The
      adapter that comes with the filter is the right size to fit over the opening
      of a Nalgene bottle. This is great if you only use Nalgenes, but I was
      filling water bladders, water bags and different water bottles.

      The other adapters that come with the filter are an �acorn� that weights
      your hose down under water, a prefilter that goes inside the acorn and a
      foam float to keep the acorn from sinking all the way to the bottom. All
      these accessories attach to silicone hoses that are very flexible and
      white-clear color. The filter also comes with a little lubricating grease
      for the pump handle o-rings, and a nice light bag to keep everything in.

      The first time I tried to use my filter I found everything very
      self-explanatory. The hose connections on the filter are a slip fit with the
      hose going over the spigots, which are labeled in and out. When I started
      pumping all this black stuff started coming out of the output hose.
      Fortunately I had read that this is normal and is simply the charcoal filter
      discharging loose powder (this only happens with the installation of a new
      filter). I pumped until the water was clear then filled my bottle; the
      filter pumped so smoothly and filled my bottle quickly.

      Last year I took this filter on a 3-day backpacking trip into Sequoia
      national forest. It was a hot day with a lot of dry spells between water, so
      we ended up filtering water out of small streams and seeps. When doing this
      on one occasion the filter stopped working. It sucked the water in and then
      pushed it back out the input hose. Opening the filter was as easy as
      removing the clip around the pump handle and unscrewing the filter. After
      flushing the filter with water and observing some sediment being washed out,
      I put it back together and it worked! Congratulations to the company for a
      reliable filter that is easy to troubleshoot.

      More recently I went on a 3-day backpacking trip into Emigrant Wilderness in
      the Sierra Nevada�s. As always my pump performed beautifully, pumping
      smoothly and filling my water bag quickly. During the next day it rained
      hard and the river we were camped near rose a foot and became very muddy.
      Unfortunately we needed to pump water, and with no other sources near I
      pumped out of the river. It always astonishes me how brown water can come
      out of the pump so clear and clean. After pumping for a while I could feel
      backpressure on the pump handle. This told me that the pump was starting to
      get clogged from all the sediment in the river water. I think this problem
      could be remedied by bringing some coffee filter paper for emergencies such
      as this. I would put the coffee filter over the end of the acorn to help
      pre-filter the water going into the pump and extending its life. When I get
      home I usually unscrew the filter and wash off the outside of the filter to
      help it extend its life.

      Probably one of the neatest features of this filter I found while hiking in
      Sequoia National forest.
      I kept getting tired of unpacking my hydration bladder to fill it, so I
      popped off the end and placed the hose over the output spigot. It worked
      great! Now I don�t have to unpack my hydration bladder every time I need
      water. Of course now they sell this as an option on the Hiker Pro model.

      Overall:
      I purchased this water filter in 1995 after doing much research on different
      types of water filters including ceramic, paper filter, glassfiber, and
      charcoal. I bought it because it did almost as much as the higher models of
      Katadyn filters and was lightweight. I have taken this filter on every
      backpacking trip I go on and even on some day hikes. I have used this filter
      to pump water out of stagnant lakes, seep holes, fast flowing streams. I
      love my filter and tell others about it when we trip together; in fact
      several people I have gone backpacking with have bought one because of
      seeing and using mine. The one feature I would like to see is the bottom of
      the filter coated with a non-slip surface. This would help to keep it from
      slipping around when you hold it against a surface to pump.

      Pros:
      - Pumps faster than ceramic filters
      - Has a glass fiber filter and a carbon core to remove the taste
      - Can be connected directly to a hydration hose
      - Cartridge lasts 200 gallons (757 L) (Claimed)

      Cons:
      - Could be made of titanium, though it would cost more
      - Not field cleanable like higher models
      - Replacement cartridges are expensive $29.00 � $39.00
    • Josh Cormier
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 6, 2005
        Here's my next try:

        MSR WhisperLite Internationale�

        Personal biographical information:
        � Name: Josh Cormier
        � Age: 25
        � Gender: Male
        � Height: 5� 11� (1.80 m)
        � Weight: 175lb (79 kg)
        � Email address: swifteagle1 at hotmail dot com
        � City: Los Gatos, California
        � Date: 28-Aug-05

        Backpacking background:
        I joined the Boy Scouts when I was 11 and have been camping and backpacking
        ever since. I like to do challenging trips ranging from week long to weekend
        in mountainous areas. I would classify my gear as mid weight although now I
        am trying to move more toward lightweight. I now go backpacking at least
        once a year in the Sierra Nevada Mountains as well as monthly car camping
        trips with the Scouts.

        Product Description:

        Specs:
        � Minimum Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g)
        � Packaged Weight: 15.5 oz (460 g)
        � Measured Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
        � Manufactures web site: http://www.msrcorp.com/
        � Year of Manufacture: 1995
        � MSRP: $ 79.95

        My Description:
        The stove comes in a nice heavy duty bag made out of thick rip-stop nylon.
        The stove folds up to fit in the bag with its wind screen, heat reflector,
        fuel pump and repair kit. There is enough extra room in the bag to keep a
        waterproof container with matches in it. When everything is in the bag it
        makes a nice compact bundle that fits easily into the side pocket on my
        backpack.

        Note: The stove I used was bought before the shaker jet model was produced.
        Later it was upgraded by me to include the shaker jet. This review describes
        both, and gives a good account why the shaker jet is a good addition.

        Initial use:
        I bought this stove right after I returned from summer camp, to be more
        accurate my dad bought it for me while I was away. I was only 15 and was so
        excited since I had wanted this stove for a while. My family and I stayed at
        the beach for as week, right after I got the stove, so I figured I could
        show it off to the family and get used to it by using it to heat water for
        hot chocolate in the mornings. Connecting the hose to the fuel bottle is a
        bit confusing even after using it for years, but knowing what the connected
        product looks like helps. Putting pump in the fuel bottle, opening the stove
        legs, and connecting the hose to the fuel bottle took all of 2-3 minuets.
        The next step was pumping the fuel bottle with 20 pumps, no problem. When I
        went to prime the stove is where I encountered my first problem. Turning the
        fuel on, I filled the small bowl at the base of the stove. Here�s where
        things went wrong. After lighting the fuel in the bowl the large, seemingly
        uncontrolled flames are somewhat unexpected and almost made me panic.
        Remaining calm I took a step back and waited, as the fuel in the line
        started to heat up it squirted more fuel into the already full bowl. As a
        result the bowl overfilled, spilled fuel on that table and caught the table
        on fire! I quickly picked the stove up by the fuel bottle and placed it on
        the ground. Once the fire was under control and the stove was preheated, I
        placed it back on the table, turned the fuel back on, and the top burned
        lit. Once the top burner was lit I placed the stove back on the table and
        opened the fuel valve another crank. When the stove is at full blast it
        sounds like a miniature jet engine, and boils water fast.

        My instructions for priming the stove would be as follows:
        � Turn the valve counter clockwise � turn or until fuel starts to seep out
        � Allow enough fuel out to barely cover the bottom of the bowl (don�t fill
        the bowl)
        � Turn the fuel off and light the fuel in the bowl
        � When the flames are almost out turn the fuel valve back on slowly
        � If liquid fuel starts to fill the bowl again turn the valve off and follow
        the above step
        � Once stove is lit turn the valve to get the desired heat, do not turn more
        than 3 revolutions

        Field testing:
        Despite the eventful first test of the stove, I kept it and have continued
        to us it over the past 10 years. It has been my constant companion on
        backpacking, car camping, and beach trips.

        One of the trips I took this stove on was a 50 mile backpacking trip around
        Yosemite National Park. We had pleasant weather all week except for the last
        day when we had rain and hail early in the morning. The first night of the
        trip as we got our stoves out I noticed two other people had the same stove
        as me. I walked over to them and was surprised to hear grumbles and
        complaints about their �crummy� stoves. I asked them what the problem was
        and they talked about the stove not lighting or bursting into flames and
        catching the ground on fire. Right there I probably could have picked up to
        stoves for almost nothing, but being a nice guy I showed them how to
        properly light the stove. Once we got their stoves lit following the correct
        process they burned great, running just like mine. Later in the trip I
        noticed as I was priming my stove that the fuel was not shooting straight up
        but rather to one side. Great, now I�d have to take my stove apart and clean
        out the jet which was probably clogged with carbon. Taking the stove apart
        was pretty easy, all I did was follow a few simple steps. First I unscrewed
        the priming pan from the bottom of the stove. Next I removed the fuel line
        from the bottom of the stove. Then I took the tool and being careful not to
        bend the fuel line, unscrewed the jet. Now I took the tool with the tiny
        piece of wire on it and poked it through the hole. I try to do this from
        both sides to scratch as much carbon off as possible. Putting my stove back
        together took a little time as I had slightly bent the fuel line and now
        things did not want to line up as they should. Once the stove was back
        together I primed it and lit it with no problems in time to make my
        breakfast. I had to do this stove cleaning 2 times during the trip, which
        was a pain and made me look toward getting the shaker jet model.

        Right after this trip I went into my local REI store to gaze in jealousy at
        the shaker jet model stoves. To my surprise they were selling just the fuel
        lines from my model and shaker jet model stoves. This I could afford, so I
        bought the shaker jet fuel line for my poor stove. Getting home I fitted the
        new shaker jet fuel line in place of my old one, it fit fine. Next I took my
        stove outside to test, so I could see how it performed. It fired up like
        normal and ran like it was brand spanking new. I used to always have to tune
        my stove before every trip by cleaning the jet and running some gas through
        it. Ever since I put the shaker jet in I have never had a problem, or have
        had to tune it before a trip.

        On another backpacking trip after I had installed the shaker jet fuel line I
        went with a group into Emigrant Wilderness in the Sierra Nevada Mountains to
        a place called Granite Lake. Although it was late early august we
        encountered about a foot of snow from late one day and overnight. I left my
        stove out overnight as a usually do since moisture and cold don�t seem to
        bother it. Getting up in the morning after a miserable night I found my
        stove cold and covered with snow. Shaking the stove of and clearing a place
        for it on a rock I primed it like usual and fired it up. I worked like
        normal and made me a cup of hot chocolate before I could say
        brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ok so it only heated the water but I was glad it worked so
        well.

        I would not normally put other peoples experience in my review but I believe
        this is an important lesson. Someone I know was tuning their stove in
        preparations for a backpacking trip. After priming the stove he lit it and
        the stove barely burned. Turning the valve counter clockwise to allow more
        fuel to flow in didn�t help the stove burn any better. Giving it a few more
        turns the valve popped out and sprayed gas all over the place. Of course
        this all caught fire and created a huge fire ball burning his hands.
        Fortunately he has almost no scars today to show for this. The lesson is to
        make sure the stove is properly connected and DON�T fully unscrew the valve.
        I�m not really sure if the stove was not properly assembled or the valve
        just got unscrewed to far. No fault is being placed, I just want others to
        be aware of potentially dangerous issue. Knowing this I still love and use
        my stove and have had no such issues, I just follow basic safety rules for
        my stove operation. These rules include: Always make sure flammable things
        are cleared from the stove area, think about how you would put out a fire if
        one started, THINK before you act, if your not sure ASK or don�t do it, and
        NEVER leave your stove unattended.

        Pros:
        � Cools of quickly
        � White gas can be used as a cleaner or fire starter
        � Heats water fast

        Cons:
        � Instructions are not so easy to understand leading to incorrect initial
        lighting of stove
        � Stove pump rings can leak after lengthy non use providing possible
        hazardous situation

        yee, haa
        let'er buck

        =0)

        Josh Cormier

      • chcoa

          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 8, 2005
            Hi Josh,

            Thanks for submitting your second OR! You've worked hard on this
            one. I've got quite a bit of edits for you so it'll be perfect.
            More detailed description of the product and how it's set up is
            needed, everything else is small nit-picky stuff. Details are
            below. Please repost your edited version to this channel when you've
            gone through them all.

            Christine Korhonen
            BGT OR Editor
            ________________________________

            MSR WhisperLite Internationale™
            EDIT: Add "Owner Review" to the title

            Personal biographical information:
            · Weight: 175lb (79 kg)
            EDIT: space needed between number and units "175 lb"

            Specs:
            · Minimum Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g)
            EDIT: List which items are included in each of these weights
            (minimum and packaged).

            · Packaged Weight: 15.5 oz (460 g)
            EDIT: Please indicate if these are the Manufacturer's listed weight
            or were measured by you.

            · Measured Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
            EDIT: Did you measure the minimum or whole package?

            · Manufactures web site: http://www.msrcorp.com/
            EDIT: "Manufacturer…", "Manufacturer's…", or just "Web Site"

            My Description:
            EDIT: Start with a clear description of what kind of stove this is
            and what it looks like. Assume the audience has never heard of this
            kind stove. What style is it? What parts are included when you buy
            it? You list them below, but it would be useful to have up front.
            What kind of fuel does it use? What makes it International?

            EDIT: Before you get into field use, describe general use of the
            stove. What do you have to do to set it up? You have a lot of that
            information in the "Initial use" section. Instead of talking about
            the first time you set it up, talk about setting it up in general.
            After describing the set-up, go to the "My instructions for priming"
            section.

            Initial use:
            EDIT: After describing the set up and priming, go into the first
            use. This can be trimmed and focus specifically on what you did
            wrong when priming that first time.

            My instructions for priming the stove would be as follows:
            EDIT: Instead of giving instructions, say what you do - "My
            procedure for priming the stove:"
            Comment: Nicely detailed. I really like this section.

            · If liquid fuel starts to fill the bowl again turn the valve off and
            follow the above step
            EDIT: Which step? Re-light?

            Field testing:
            EDIT: This is an Owner Review, so there's no testing. You can
            say "Field Use:" or something similar.
            Despite the eventful first test of the stove,
            EDIT: "first use"

            One of the trips I took this stove on was a 50 mile
            EDIT: add metric

            We had pleasant weather all week except for the last day when we had
            rain and hail early in the morning.
            EDIT: How did this affect the stove?
            EDIT: Include the elevations where you hiked as that can have an
            impact on stoves.

            The first night of the trip as we got our stoves out I noticed two
            other people had the same stove as me. I walked over to them and was
            surprised to hear grumbles and complaints about their "crummy"
            stoves. I asked them what the problem was and they talked about the
            stove not lighting or bursting into flames and catching the ground on
            fire. Right there I probably could have picked up to stoves for
            almost nothing, but being a nice guy I showed them how to properly
            light the stove. Once we got their stoves lit following the correct
            process they burned great, running just like mine.
            EDIT: This section doesn't add anything about the stove and can be
            cut.

            Later in the trip I noticed as I was priming my stove that the fuel
            was not shooting straight up but rather to one side.
            EDIT: I'm not sure how the fuel is supposed to shoot. suggestions-
            "…the fuel was not shooting straight into the priming cup." or "The
            fuel was not coming out smoothly."

            Great, now I'd have to take my stove apart and clean
            out the jet which was probably clogged with carbon.
            EDIT: I know this is your style, but avoid guessing and
            using "probably". It's better to say what you did, something like "I
            took the stove apart to see if the jet was clogged with carbon."

            Taking the stove apart
            was pretty easy, all I did was follow a few simple steps.
            EDIT: Did you follow any instructions or figure it out on your own?

            First I unscrewed the priming pan from the bottom of the stove.
            EDIT: What did you use to unscrew it?

            Then I took the tool
            EDIT: What tool? Did this come with the stove? Describe the tool
            and any other items that came in the repair kit.

            Now I took the tool with the tiny piece of wire on it
            EDIT: Is this the same tool as above?

            Right after this trip I went into my local REI store to gaze in
            jealousy
            EDIT: "in" not needed

            To my surprise they were selling just the fuel lines from my model
            and shaker jet model stoves.
            EDIT: Since you're focused on the shaker jet, it's not necessary to
            mention that they sold the fuel lines for your model.

            Ever since I put the shaker jet in I have never had a problem, or have
            had to tune it before a trip.
            EDIT: Describe what is different between the shaker jet and your
            fuel line.

            Although it was late early august
            EDIT: Was it late or early? Capitalize "August".

            we encountered about a foot of snow from late one day and overnight.
            EDIT: Either "We encountered about a foot of snow." or "It snowed
            about a foot overnight."

            I left my stove out overnight as a usually do
            EDIT: "…as I usually…"

            I worked like normal
            EDIT: "It worked…"

            ok so it only heated the water but I was glad it worked so well.
            EDIT: Do you mean it heated the water but you had to add the
            chocolate or do you mean it only heated the water and didn't get it
            to boiling?

[...]
            EDIT: Were you there when this happened? If not, such lengthy
            descriptions aren't necessary. This paragraph could be summed up in
            a couple of sentences such as: "I make sure the stove is properly
            connected with the fuel bottle before lighting. I know someone who
            created a huge fire ball and burned his hands when the fuel valve
            popped out and sprayed gas all over the place. I'm careful to keep
            the valve partially screwed in and never completely unscrew it." or
            similar.

            think about how you would put out a fire if one started, THINK before
            you act, if your not sure ASK or don't do it, and NEVER leave your
            stove unattended.
            EDIT: This would make a good bulleted list. Change each "you"
            to "I" to put the focus on what you do -
            "how I would put out a fire…THINK before I act, if I'm not sure ASK…
            NEVER leave my stove…"

            Pros:
            · Cools of quickly
            EDIT: off
            · White gas can be used as a cleaner or fire starter
            EDIT: cleaner or fuel

            Cons:
            · Instructions are not so easy to understand leading to incorrect
            initial lighting of stove
            · Stove pump rings can leak after lengthy non use providing possible
            hazardous situation
            EDIT: Have you had experiences with this? Add your experiences to
            the body of the report above.
          • Christine
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 9, 2005
              Repost with the correct subject.

              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Christine"
              <chris.korhonen@w...> wrote:
> [...]
              before
              > you act, if your not sure ASK or don't do it, and NEVER leave your
              > stove unattended.
              > EDIT: This would make a good bulleted list. Change each "you"
              > to "I" to put the focus on what you do -
              > "how I would put out a fire…THINK before I act, if I'm not sure ASK…
              > NEVER leave my stove…"
              >
              > Pros:
              > · Cools of quickly
              > EDIT: off
              > · White gas can be used as a cleaner or fire starter
              > EDIT: cleaner or fuel
              >
              > Cons:
              > · Instructions are not so easy to understand leading to incorrect
              > initial lighting of stove
              > · Stove pump rings can leak after lengthy non use providing possible
              > hazardous situation
              > EDIT: Have you had experiences with this? Add your experiences to
            • Josh Cormier
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 9, 2005
                Changes made.

                Thanks

                Owner Review - MSR WhisperLite Internationale�

                Personal biographical information:
                � Name: Josh Cormier
                � Age: 25
                � Gender: Male
                � Height: 5� 11� (1.80 m)
                � Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
                � Email address: swifteagle1 at hotmail dot com
                � City: Los Gatos, California
                � Date: 28-Aug-05

                Backpacking background:
                I joined the Boy Scouts when I was 11 and have been camping and backpacking
                ever since. I like to do challenging trips ranging from week long to weekend
                in mountainous areas. I would classify my gear as mid weight although now I
                am trying to move more toward lightweight. I now go backpacking at least
                once a year in the Sierra Nevada Mountains as well as monthly car camping
                trips with the Scouts.

                Product Description:

                Specs:
                � Claimed Minimum Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g)
                � Claimed Packaged Weight: 15.5 oz (460 g)
                � Measured Packaged Weight: 12 oz (340 g)
                � Manufacturer's web site: http://www.msrcorp.com/
                � Year of Manufacture: 1995
                � MSRP: $ 79.95

                My Description:
                This is a one burner stove that has folding wire legs. The legs slide into
                notches in the top of the stove to set the stove up. To take the stove down,
                the legs slide out of the notches and fit together on one side of the stove.
                The stove runs on many kinds of fuel from white gas to kerosene to unleaded
                gas. The stove is named international because of its ability to use many
                different fuels that can be found when you are traveling worldwide. For a
                complete list of useable fuels visit the manufactures web site. The stove
                comes in a nice heavy duty bag made out of thick rip-stop nylon. The stove
                folds up to fit in the bag with its wind screen, heat reflector, fuel pump
                and repair kit. Included in the repair kit is a tool for removing the spray
                head, a kerosene spray head, a tool with a tiny wire attached to it for
                cleaning the carbon out of the spray head orifice, and an extra o-ring.
                There is enough extra room in the bag to keep a waterproof container with
                matches in it. When everything is in the bag it makes a nice compact bundle
                that fits easily into the side pocket on my backpack.

                Setting the stove up takes a few minuets and a little bit of thinking. First
                the pump must be screwed into the fuel bottle. Next the stove legs must be
                unfolded and slid into their groves. Finally the fuel line must be connected
                to the pump and the wire holder slipped into place.

                My procedure for priming the stove would be as follows:
                1. Turn the valve counter clockwise � turn or until fuel starts to seep out
                2. Allow enough fuel out to barely cover the bottom of the bowl (don�t fill
                the bowl)
                3. Turn the fuel off and light the fuel in the bowl
                4. When the flames are almost out turn the fuel valve back on slowly
                5. If liquid fuel starts to fill the bowl again turn the valve off and
                follow step above 2
                6. Once stove is lit turn the valve to get the desired heat, do not turn
                more than 3 revolutions

                Note: The stove I used was bought before the shaker jet model was produced.
                Later it was upgraded by me to include the shaker jet. This review describes
                both, and gives a good account why the shaker jet is a good addition.

                Initial use:
                I bought this stove right after I returned from summer camp years ago. I
                stayed at the beach for a week, right after I got the stove which was a good
                opportunity to get the hang of using it. Connecting the hose to the fuel
[...]

                Field usage:
                Despite the eventful first use of the stove, I kept it and have continued to
                us it over the past 10 years. I have used this stove in elevations ranging
                from 7 ft (2.1336 m) above sea level to 8,700 ft (2,651 m) above sea level.
                I have used it in warm weather to cold snowy days, it has been my constant
                companion on backpacking, car camping, and beach trips.

                One of the trips I took this stove on was a 50 mile (80 Km) backpacking trip
                around Yosemite National Park. We had pleasant weather all week except for
                the last day when we had rain and hail early in the morning. Despite the
                cold wet weather the stove performed as normal. Later in the trip I noticed
                as I was priming my stove that the fuel was not shooting straight up into
                the top burner as it was supposed to, but rather to one side. Great, now I�d
                have to take my stove apart and clean out the jet which was clogged with
                carbon resulting in the improper fuel spray. Taking the stove apart was
                pretty easy for me since I am a pretty mechanical guy. I simply looked at
                the stove and decided what needed to come off in order to get to they part I
                needed. First I unscrewed the priming pan from the bottom of the stove with
                my hands. Next I removed the fuel line from the bottom of the stove. Then I
                took the tool that comes in the stove repair kit included with the stove and
                being careful not to bend the fuel line, unscrewed the jet. Now I took the
                other tool that has a tiny piece of wire on it and poked it through the
                hole. I try to clean the jet with the wire from both sides to scratch as
                much carbon off as possible. Putting my stove back together took a little
                time as I had slightly bent the fuel line and now things did not want to
                line up as they should. Once the stove was back together I primed it and lit
                it with no problems in time to make my breakfast. I had to do this stove
                cleaning 2 times during the trip, which was a pain and made me look toward
                getting the shaker jet model.

                Right after this trip I went into my local REI store to gaze jealously at
                the shaker jet model stoves. To my surprise they were selling just the fuel
                line assemblies from the shaker jet model stoves. These fuel line assemblies
                have a different head for the fuel to spray through that has a cleaning
                �shaker� in it. That is the only difference between my model and the shaker
                jet model. This fuel line assembly I could afford, so I bought the shaker
                jet fuel line for my poor stove. Getting home I fitted the new shaker jet
                fuel line in place of my old one, it fit fine. Next I took my stove outside
                to test, so I could see how it performed. It fired up like normal and ran
                like it was brand spanking new. I used to always have to tune my stove
                before every trip by cleaning the jet and running some gas through it. Ever
                since I put the shaker jet in I have never had a problem, or have had to
                tune it before a trip. The thing that is special about the shaker jet it
                that it has that small �shaker in the head that sprays the head. This
                �shaker� has a tiny needle on the top of it that scratches the inside of the
                Spray head. Whenever you move your stove this needle scrapes carbon off the
                inside of the spray head removing buildup.

                On another backpacking trip after I had installed the shaker jet fuel line I
                went with a group into Emigrant Wilderness in the Sierra Nevada Mountains to
                a place called Granite Lake. Although it was late August we encountered
                about a foot of snow overnight. I left my stove out overnight as I usually
                do since moisture and cold don�t seem to bother it. Getting up in the
                morning after a miserable night I found my stove cold and covered with snow.
                Shaking the stove of and clearing a place for it on a rock I primed it like
                usual and fired it up. I worked fine and made me a cup of hot chocolate
                before I could say brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ok so it only heated the water and I
                had to add the chocolate myself, but I was glad it worked so well. One thing
                I did notice about my stove on this trip was that the o-rings have a
                tendency to leak after a long period of non-use.

                I would not normally put other peoples experience in my review but I believe
                this is an important lesson. Someone I know was tuning their stove for a
                trip and did not connect the fuel line correctly. As a consequence the Fuel
                valve unscrewed from the pump and caused a huge fireball. Please always make
                sure the stove is properly connected and DON�T fully unscrew the valve.
                Knowing this I still love and use my stove and have had no such issues, I
                just follow basic safety rules for my stove operation.

                These rules include:
                � Always make sure flammable things are cleared from the stove area
                � Think about how to put out a fire if one started
                � THINK before acting
                � If unsure about something, ASK or don�t do it
                � NEVER leave the stove unattended

                Pros:
                � Cools off quickly
                � White gas can be used as a cleaner or as fuel

                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 12, 2005
                  Hey Josh,

                  Almost there! Just a couple small edits for you and you're on your
                  way. I really like the changes you made. The report flows smoothly
                  and answers almost all my questions. Repost once more after you've
                  made these edits and we'll get you uploaded.

                  Thanks!

                  Christine Korhonen
                  BGT Editor
                  ________________________

                  Specs:
                  · Minimum Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g)
                  EDIT: List which items are included in the minimum weight. Stove only
                  or stove and fuel pump?

                  First the pump must be screwed in the fuel bottle.
                  EDIT: indicate that the fuel bottle is sold separately.

                  5. If liquid fuel starts to fill the bowl again turn the valve off
                  and follow step above 2
                  EDIT: "…follow step 2 above"

                  Initial use:
                  …2-3 minuets
                  EDIT: "minutes"

                  After lighting the fuel in the bowl the large, seemingly uncontrolled
                  flames are
                  EDIT: "…flames were…"

                  …and the top burned lit.
                  EDIT: "…burner lit."

                  Field usage:
                  EDIT: to be consistent with other headings -- "Field use"

                  …and have continued to us it
                  EDIT: "…use it…"

                  …ranging from 7 ft (2.1336 m) above sea level to 8,700 ft (2,651 m)
                  EDIT: round English and metric units the same "…7 ft (2 m) …8,700 ft
                  (2,700 m)…"

                  50 mile (80 Km)
                  EDIT: lowercase K – "…50 mile (80 km)"

                  Then I took the tool that comes in the stove repair kit included with
                  the stove
                  EDIT: use either "that comes in the stove repair kit" or "included
                  with the stove" but not both

                  I try to clean the jet
                  EDIT: tense – "I tried to…"

                  These fuel line assemblies have a different head for the fuel to spray
                  through that has a cleaning "shaker" in it.
                  EDIT: move the last two sentences in this paragraph, "This "shaker"
                  has a tiny needle…head removing buildup." after the sentence above

                  EDIT: Remove the sentence "The thing that is special…the head."

                  Shaking the stove of
                  EDIT: "off"

                  I worked fine
                  EDIT: "It"

                  These rules include:
                  EDIT: Either put the first word in each line in all capitols or don't
                  use all caps. Especially for "Think". It's unclear why one is all
                  caps and the other isn't.

                  > >PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL IN FULL. IT IS MOST IMPORTANT!

                  No need to include this with the OR.

                  That's it!
                • Josh Cormier
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 12, 2005
                    Thanks for your help again,
                    I apologize for the stupid mistakes that I should have picked up on my own.
                    Hopefully I�ll get this down soon.

                    Josh

                    Owner Review - MSR WhisperLite Internationale�

                    Personal biographical information:
                    � Name: Josh Cormier
                    � Age: 25
                    � Gender: Male
                    � Height: 5� 11� (1.80 m)
                    � Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
                    � Email address: swifteagle1 at hotmail dot com
                    � City: Los Gatos, California
                    � Date: 28-Aug-05

                    Backpacking background:
                    I joined the Boy Scouts when I was 11 and have been camping and backpacking
                    ever since. I like to do challenging trips ranging from week long to weekend
                    in mountainous areas. I would classify my gear as mid weight although now I
                    am trying to move more toward lightweight. I now go backpacking at least
                    once a year in the Sierra Nevada Mountains as well as monthly car camping
                    trips with the Scouts.

                    Product Description:

                    Specs:
                    � Claimed Minimum Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g) includes stove and fuel pump but
                    not fuel or fuel bottle
[...]

                    the pump must be screwed into the fuel bottle, which is sold separately.
                    Next the stove legs must be unfolded and slid into their groves. Finally the
                    fuel line must be connected to the pump and the wire holder slipped into
                    place.

                    My procedure for priming the stove would be as follows:
                    1. Turn the valve counter clockwise � turn or until fuel starts to seep out
                    2. Allow enough fuel out to barely cover the bottom of the bowl (don�t fill
                    the bowl)
                    3. Turn the fuel off and light the fuel in the bowl
                    4. When the flames are almost out turn the fuel valve back on slowly
                    5. If liquid fuel starts to fill the bowl again turn the valve off and
                    follow step 2 above
                    6. Once stove is lit turn the valve to get the desired heat, do not turn
                    more than 3 revolutions

                    Note: The stove I used was bought before the shaker jet model was produced.
                    Later it was upgraded by me to include the shaker jet. This review describes
                    both, and gives a good account why the shaker jet is a good addition.

                    Initial use:
                    I bought this stove right after I returned from summer camp years ago. I
                    stayed at the beach for a week; right after I got the stove, which was a
                    good opportunity to get the hang of using it. Connecting the hose to the
                    fuel bottle is a bit confusing even after using it for years, but knowing
                    what the connected product looks like helps. Putting pump in the fuel
                    bottle, opening the stove legs, and connecting the hose to the fuel bottle
                    took all of 2-3 minutes. The next step was pumping the fuel bottle with 20
                    pumps, no problem. When I went to prime the stove is where I encountered my
                    first problem. Turning the fuel on, I filled the small bowl at the base of
                    the stove. Here�s where things went wrong. After lighting the fuel in the
                    bowl the large, seemingly uncontrolled flames were somewhat unexpected and
                    almost made me panic. Remaining calm I took a step back and waited, as the
                    fuel in the line started to heat up it squirted more fuel into the already
                    full bowl. As a result the bowl overfilled, spilled fuel on that table and
                    caught the table on fire! I quickly picked the stove up by the fuel bottle
                    and placed it on the ground. Once the fire was under control and the stove
                    was preheated, I placed it back on the table, turned the fuel back on, and
                    the top burner lit. Once the top burner was lit I placed the stove back on
                    the table and opened the fuel valve another crank. When the stove is at full
                    blast it sounds like a miniature jet engine, and boils water fast.

                    Field use:
                    Despite the eventful first use of the stove, I kept it and have continued to
                    use it over the past 10 years. I have used this stove in elevations ranging
                    from 7 ft (2 m) above sea level to 8,700 ft (2,700 m) above sea level. I
[...]

                    took the tool that comes in the stove repair kit and being careful not to
                    bend the fuel line, unscrewed the jet. Now I took the other tool that has a
                    tiny piece of wire on it and poked it through the hole. I tried to clean the
                    jet with the wire from both sides to scratch as much carbon off as possible.
                    Putting my stove back together took a little time as I had slightly bent the
                    fuel line and now things did not want to line up, as they should. Once the
                    stove was back together I primed it and lit it with no problems in time to
                    make my breakfast. I had to do this stove cleaning 2 times during the trip,
                    which was a pain and made me look toward getting the shaker jet model.

                    Right after this trip I went into my local REI store to gaze jealously at
                    the shaker jet model stoves. To my surprise they were selling just the fuel
                    line assemblies from the shaker jet model stoves. These fuel line assemblies
                    have a different head for the fuel to spray through that contains a cleaning
                    �shaker�. This �shaker� has a tiny needle on the top of it that scratches
                    the inside of the Spray head. Whenever you move your stove this needle
                    scrapes carbon off the inside of the spray head removing buildup. This is
                    the only difference between my model and the shaker jet model. This fuel
                    line assembly I could afford, so I bought the shaker jet fuel line for my
[...]

                    Shaking the stove off and clearing a place for it on a rock I primed it like
                    usual and fired it up. It worked fine and made me a cup of hot chocolate

                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 13, 2005
                      Josh,

                      Excellent job! I've got some very minor edits below that I missed
                      last time and you're all set to upload. Be sure to try out your HTML
                      to the Test folder first to see that it's looking good and to make
                      sure your link is clickable. When everything's perfect, upload to:

                      Cook Gear > Stoves > MSR Whisperlite Internationale
                      or
                      http://tinyurl.com/dkmb4

                      Be sure to check the button marked "Owner Review". You may need to
                      scroll up to see it.

                      Since this is your second review, you're now authorized to apply for
                      tests! There are a bunch of good ones up. Join the yahoo group
                      backpackgeartesters if you haven't already, send in your tester
                      agreement to Shane, and get those apps in!

                      Good working with you,

                      Christine
                      BGT Editor
                      ____________________________________

                      · Claimed Minimum Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g) includes stove and fuel
                      pump but
                      not fuel or fuel bottle
                      EDIT: This implies that the fuel bottle and fuel weights are
                      included in the packaged weight, which I don't think is true. I
                      assume the packaged weight is the stove, fuel pump, windscreens, tool
                      kit, and stuff sack (Since you list all of the contents below, no
                      need to list them all up here.) Fine to stop this sentence after "…
                      fuel pump."

                      I stayed at the beach for a week; right after I got the stove
                      EDIT: ";" not needed - "…week right after…"

                      This "shaker" has a tiny needle on the top of it that scratches the
                      inside of the Spray head.
                      EDIT: lowercase – "…spray head."

                      I would not normally put other peoples
                      EDIT: people's

                      As a consequence the Fuel valve unscrewed
                      EDIT: lowercase – "…fuel valve…"
                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 13, 2005
                        Christine, are new testers again sending aggreement to Shane? I
                        thought this was diverted until further notice due to Shane's housing
                        situation.

                        <chris.korhonen@w...> wrote:

                        > Since this is your second review, you're now authorized to apply
                        for
                        > tests! There are a bunch of good ones up. Join the yahoo group
                        > backpackgeartesters if you haven't already, send in your tester
                        > agreement to Shane, and get those apps in!
                        >
                        > Good working with you,
                        >
                        > Christine
                        > BGT Editor
                        > ____________________________________
                        >
                        > · Claimed Minimum Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g) includes stove and fuel
                        > pump but
                        > not fuel or fuel bottle
                        > EDIT: This implies that the fuel bottle and fuel weights are
                        > included in the packaged weight, which I don't think is true. I
                        > assume the packaged weight is the stove, fuel pump, windscreens,
                        tool
                        > kit, and stuff sack (Since you list all of the contents below, no
                        > need to list them all up here.) Fine to stop this sentence after "…
                        > fuel pump."
                        >
                        > I stayed at the beach for a week; right after I got the stove
                        > EDIT: ";" not needed - "…week right after…"
                        >
                        > This "shaker" has a tiny needle on the top of it that scratches the
                        > inside of the Spray head.
                        > EDIT: lowercase – "…spray head."
                        >
                        > I would not normally put other peoples
                        > EDIT: people's
                        >
                        > As a consequence the Fuel valve unscrewed
                        > EDIT: lowercase – "…fuel valve…"
                      • WoodlandSprite
                        Message 11 of 17 , Sep 13, 2005
                          They are going to jim. The Agreement has been updated on line.
                          -Steph

                          wrote:

                          > Since this is your second review, you're now authorized to apply
                          for
                          > tests! There are a bunch of good ones up. Join the yahoo group
                          > backpackgeartesters if you haven't already, send in your tester
                          > agreement to Shane, and get those apps in!
                          >
                          > Good working with you,
                          >
                          > Christine
                          > BGT Editor
                          > ____________________________________
                          >
                          > · Claimed Minimum Weight: 11.5 oz (330 g) includes stove and fuel
                          > pump but
                          > not fuel or fuel bottle
                          > EDIT: This implies that the fuel bottle and fuel weights are
                          > included in the packaged weight, which I don't think is true. I
                          > assume the packaged weight is the stove, fuel pump, windscreens,
                          tool
                          > kit, and stuff sack (Since you list all of the contents below, no
                          > need to list them all up here.) Fine to stop this sentence after "…
                          > fuel pump."
                          >
                          > I stayed at the beach for a week; right after I got the stove
                          > EDIT: ";" not needed - "…week right after…"
                          >
                          > This "shaker" has a tiny needle on the top of it that scratches the
                          > inside of the Spray head.
                          > EDIT: lowercase – "…spray head."
                          >
                          > I would not normally put other peoples
                          > EDIT: people's
                          >
                          > As a consequence the Fuel valve unscrewed
                          > EDIT: lowercase – "…fuel valve…"

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Josh Cormier
                          Message 12 of 17 , Sep 13, 2005
                            I made the final changes and am going to uplod the htm file to test folder
                            now.
                            Thanks for all your help !

                            Josh

                            Owner Review - MSR WhisperLite Internationale�

                            Personal biographical information:
                            � Name: Josh Cormier
                            � Age: 25
                            � Gender: Male
                            � Height: 5� 11� (1.80 m)
                            � Weight: 175 lb (79 kg)
                            � Email address: swifteagle1 at hotmail dot com
                            � City: Los Gatos, California
                            � Date: 28-Aug-05

[...]

                            of 2-3 minutes. The next step was pumping the fuel bottle with 20 pumps, no
                            problem. When I went to prime the stove is where I encountered my first
                            problem. Turning the fuel on, I filled the small bowl at the base of the
                            stove. Here�s where things went wrong. After lighting the fuel in the bowl
                            the large, seemingly uncontrolled flames were somewhat unexpected and almost
                            made me panic. Remaining calm I took a step back and waited, as the fuel in
                            the line started to heat up it squirted more fuel into the already full
                            bowl. As a result the bowl overfilled, spilled fuel on that table and caught
                            the table on fire! I quickly picked the stove up by the fuel bottle and
                            placed it on the ground. Once the fire was under control and the stove was
                            preheated, I placed it back on the table, turned the fuel back on, and the
                            top burner lit. Once the top burner was lit I placed the stove back on the

                            Message 13 of 17 , Sep 14, 2005
                              Thanks, good to know.

                              Christine

                              --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, WoodlandSprite

                            • stephanie@backpackgeartest.org
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 13, 2005
                                The following Tester Agreements have been received and noted in the database.

                                Once processed, you will receive a confirmation email. (it takes a fair amount
                                of time, as I only do data entry in my spare time. I do keep the hard copies
                                for reference and documentation purposes).

                                Those recently received are:
                                Vickie Ingram
                                Kevin Pferdner
                                John Jones