EDIT: Katadyn Hiker Water Filter - Josh Cormier

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2005
      EDIT: Katadyn Hiker Water Filter - Josh Cormier

      Hi Josh

      I see you got the Test folder business sorted out. Good.

      However, the only font size spec I noticed in the html was for 'size=2', and this makes all the text a bit hard to read.
      Most people use at least 'size=3' or even one step up from that. Have mercy on those of us with eye problems!

      I have another batch of edits for you, but we are now getting into some fine tuning. Since you are going so well I am
      going to assume you would want to get the finished product to a high standard.

      I like your use of specific incidents to illustrate general points. This comes across well.

      Could you please Repost here and also to the same Test/OR folder. If you intend to add any pictures, please do so now. I
      think you are nearly there.

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT OR Editor
      ----------------------------------
      > - Height: 5’11” (1.80 m)
      EDIT: insert space: 5' 11"

      > camping and backpacking ever since. I like to do challenging trip ranging
      EDIT: 'challenging trips ' (plural)
      Comment: a nice tight bio.

      > - Microfiltration Method: AntiClog technology: 129 square inches of pleated
      EDIT: delete the marketing bit about 'AntiClog technology'.
      Comment only: I was about to suggest further simplification, but I changed my mind. The word 'Microfiltration' has no
      legal meaning but some of the filter companies have decided to use it for this level of filtration. I don't know whether
      you are aware of this or not. I am not suggesting you change it.

      > - Activated carbon core: reduces unpleasant tastes and odor from water.
      Edit: you might like to mention that the activated carbon strips (absorbs) chemicals from the water: this is more
      important than the taste/odor bit really.

      > - Claimed Cartridge Capacity: Up to 200 gallons, depending on water quality
      EDIT: add metric.

      > - Claimed Weight: 11 oz. (312 g)
      EDIT: 11 oz without the period.

      > - Measured Weight: 12oz (340 g)
      EDIT: 12 oz (with space)
      Yeah, we get a bit fussy about having all the units just right.

      > - Measured Hose Length: 1at 38" (0.97 m) and 1 at 33” (0.84 m)
      EDIT: confusing. Can I suggest you spell it out thus:
      'one 38" (0.97 m) and one 33” (0.84 m)'

      > Manufactures web site: http://www.katadyn.com
      > Year of Manufacture: 1995
      > MSRP: $59.95
      Edit: for consistency, how about making these 3 lines look the same as the previous ones?
      EDIT: please make the manufacturer's URL clickable.

      > The hoses are two different lengths; I assume the shorter
      > one goes on the bottom of the filter and the longer on the top.
      Comment: your choice, but don't swap them around later! I have them the other way around, but so what?

      > to fit over the opening of a Nalgene.
      EDIT: for the first use I suggest 'a Nalgene bottle'.

      > This is great if you only use Nalgenes, but I was filling
      > water bladders, water bags and different water bottles.
      Comment: very good point.

      > The hose connections on the filter are slip fit with the
      EDIT: connections is plural while slip fit is singular. Can I suggest
      'are a slip fit ' as an elegant solution?

      > Flushing it with water, I washed out some sediment, put it back together
      > and it worked!
      Edit: fine tuning the grammar. Can I suggest
      'I washed out some sediment; then I put it back together '