ATTN: Erin Callahan - Owner's Review - Black Diamond Moonlight Headlamp

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2005

      Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. Do not
      worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors
      are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit
      within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit
      Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let
      me know directly at jdeben@....

      yourself, if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and
      uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. This
      way we can work with you on addressing any standard BGT policy edits
      which you can incorporate into your second and subsequent reviews
      before submission.

      The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
      start applying for Tests.

      review. Incorporating member edits and re-submitting to the list will
      usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
      for the official Editor. Please put REVISED in the subject line of
      your re-submitted review, if you take this route or make any changes
      to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

      will use APPROVED in the subject line.

      Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

      the list or contact me directly.

      Edit Administration Officer
    • edwardripleyduggan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2005
        Hello Erin,

        Here's your edits for your owner review. It's quite a good start to
        your second OR, although if you are able to add some information on
        your experience with the water resistance of the lamp (e.g. have you
        worn it through torrential downpours without problems?) that would be
        helpful.

        I also need to see a section on "Field Conditions," detailing the
        range of temperature, weather, elevations and locations (and anything
        else pertinent) in which you have used the lamp (you touch on this
        under usage, but insufficiently). This is a standard OR and report
        feature.

        It doesn't have to be all inclusive, just enought to give the reader a
        sense of the extremes of conditions in which the lamp has been used,
        and the type of terrain. This last is very important. If I were
        reading this review as a purchaser, I'd want to know if you had found
        the light adequate for off-trail use, for navigating twisty trails,
        and for camp use.

        Best,

        Ted.

        > Weight: 125lbs (57kg)

        ### EDIT: space between integer and unit please, 125 lbs (57 kg)

        > Email address: hike2summit@y...
        > City, State, Country: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
        > Date: 10 September 2005

        ### EDIT: Since the review date is not a biographical detail, it's
        better listed below the review title.

        > Review: Black Diamond Moonlight Headlamp (2003) MSRP: $29.95US

        ### EDIT Drop "Review:"

        > Weight without batteries: 83 g (2.9 oz)
        >
        > Weight with batteries: 118 g (4.1 oz)
        >
        > IPX rating: 4

        ### EDIT I'd leave this out of the list of parameters here, and
        discuss its implications in terms of waterproofness in the main text.

        > Battery power: 3 AAA (included)
        >
        > Bulb type: 4 SuperBright LEDs
        >
        > Burn time: 70 hrs
        >
        > Distance: 18 m (6 ft)
        >
        > *as per manufacturer's stats

        ### EDIT: use of the asterisk would usually indicated that the starred
        items are manufacturer's stats, the rest not. None are so marked, but
        I'm sure that some come from that source. Would you please go through
        and star those which do (or otherwise indicate, and which don't. If
        they all come from the mfr, you need to add to this list the weight of
        the lamp with and without batteries as measured by you. Personal
        confirmation of measurements is a flat-out "must" in ORs and reports.
        Thanks, Erin!

        > Excerpt from the site http://www.bdel.com/

        ### EDIT I'd prefer this in the form:

        Website: http://www.bdel.com/ (appended to stats)

        Then new paragraph. "The following is excerpted from the website..."
        We like to have the website info as part of the initial profile of
        information about the item.

        > Usage:
        >
        > I purchased this headlamp in an effort to update myself in the
        backpacking
        > community.

        ### EDIT Sorry, I know what you are saying, but it reads really oddly.
        Why not just "I purchased this headlamp to upgrade my backpacking
        gear" or words to the effect.

        I was a dedicated MagLite user before, but wished to experience
        > the hands-free feeling that only a headlamp provides. The Moonlight has
        > accompanied me on all of my overnight adventures since its purchase.
        It has
        > been a faithful companion to the top of 25 mountain peaks and
        adventures in
        > California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and Canada. I've
        > used it in snow conditions, in caves, and while climbing. I've even
        used it in
        > the backyard in search of my black-as-night dog. I use the Moonlight
        so much
        > that it stays in my common closet at home for quick access.

        ### COMMENT: I hear ya! I keep a headlamp in my car, three in my
        bedroom to hand out to my wife and kids during our frequent power
        outages... You get the picture.

        > Lighting:
        >
        > The Moonlight provides a wide beam of bright light from its 4 LED
        bulbs.
        > While it easily illuminates nearby objects such as those tasks done
        around
        > camp, hiking with it can be a different experience. The beams do not
        pierce
        > the darkness as a halogen bulb would do, so I do not hike very fast
        if using it
        > as my sole source of light. In snow conditions however, where light is
        > reflected back on the snow, hiking can be a much brighter
        experience. I've
        > found that the beams provide enough light for climbing in the caves
        of Utah
        > and on other rock walls.

        ### EDIT: Could you comment on any color cast to the beam (usually
        blue)? Does it create problems under certain conditions e.g.
        mapreading? If this is not an issue with this headlamp (and it may not
        be), ignore.

        > Comfort:
        >
        > The battery pack attached to the back of the straps provides a nice
        > counterbalance to the actual light piece

        ### EDIT "actual light piece" would read better as simply "lamp"

        in front. The straps are made of a soft,
        > stretchy, and comfortable material. They do not pinch my head or
        grab on my
        > hair. I have a super sensitive head, so I can feel all of the
        Moonlight's 4.1 oz.
        > but it does not give me a headache.

        ### EDIT Is the lamp stable? Does it tend to move on your head if you
        take a jaring step? How is it on a helmet (if you are climbing and
        caving)? Or a hat?

        > Adjustability:
        >
        > One feature I really like is the pivoting angle of the light piece.

        While it moves
        > together as one unit, the unit can be pivoted an entire 180 degrees.

        ### EDIT This is a nice feature, missing in many lamps, which rotate
        only 90 degrees, and you are right to draw attention to it. However,
        the way you have written this isn't that easily comprehended.
        Something like "One feature that I really like is the ability to pivot
        the lamp vertically through 180 degrees" would be better.

        > Battery:
        >
        > The battery pack holds tight,

        ### EDIT meaning "it doesn't accidentally open" or "it molds well to
        my head?" I'm not clear which you are saying.

        but also allows for a quick and easy switch of
        > batteries. In my experience, actual battery power seems to last
        forever, though
        > I have never tested it quantitatively. The unit holds 3 AAA batteries.

        > The Black Diamond Moonlight headlamp is rightfully named: while it
        has a
        > surprisingly bright output, the output only goes so far. It is a
        proven basic
        > headlamp that has accompanied me every time I go outdoors, and
        sometimes
        > more.

        ### EDIT "and sometimes inside." What the "more" is is not clear to me.

        Its durable construction means it can be crammed into pockets or flung
        > around without sustaining so much as a minimal scratch. It is small,
        light and
        > compact. The straps have balled a little with so much use, but they
        have
        > retained their soft, stretchy and comfortable feel. I think I should
        like to test
        > battery life in a range of temperatures some day, but for now the
        Moonlight
        > serves my purposes.

        ### EDIT: While I encourage you to test the battery life (and perhaps
        consider using lithiums at cold temperatures) I don't think it's
        necessary to mention a future test. Could you come up with a different
        final sentence, please? Given that you have expressed some mild
        concern about the "reach" of the light perhaps you could incorporate a
        comment such as "Despite a few reservations about the range of the
        beam, the Moonlight serves my purposes."

        > Likes:
        >
        > *Bright light
        >
        > *Adjustability options
        >
        > *Tough and durable
        >

        > Dislikes:
        >
        > *Weight of something on my head

        ### EDIT "The weight of the lamp on my head" maybe?