EDIT: Revised: OR - Neat Sheet - Jennifer Pope

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hello Jennifer,

      An intriguing review. The item's a bit heavy for my taste (as you say,
      it is a luxury), but none the less sounds useful. As a matter of
      interest, have you used it over a sleeping bag for extra warmth? If
      so, does it add a few degrees? I think that, as a reader, that would
      be one query I'd have, but I'd not hold up the review if you haven't
      tried this. Also, has it been used as a groundsheet? Again, if not, no
      biggie--it's your specific use of it that we are examining here. But
      if you have personal experience of these matters and haven't mentioned
      them, do put the info in...

      Best,

      Ted.

      BGT OR Editor

      > Product Description (back to top)
      > The Neat Sheet is a multipurpose ground cover. There are countless
      > ways it can be used for camping and backpacking as well as in many
      > other capacities (the manufacturer's website lists many). It's also
      > water and sand repellant

      ###EDIT repellent
      .

      > Neat Sheets are widely available here in the US, or at least in the
      > stores I frequent. I've never seen them in an outdoor retailer like
      > REI, but they're common in "big box" stores like Target. I've even
      > seen them in my grocery store recently. Although the manufacturer
      > doesn't list a suggested retail price on their website, I've never
      > seen them for over $10, often much less.

      ###EDIT per your conversation with Andrew, I understand you will alter
      the wording here. I think that it is OK to make a statement that they
      are widely available and inexpensive.

      > Field Information (back to top)
      > The Neat Sheet has come with me on all my backpacking and camping
      > trips for the past 8

      ### EDIT eight

      months or so. It has seen use on rocky grounds

      ### EDIT ground (singular) is correct here

      in
      > the Sierras as well as wet moist ground in the Angeles National FOrest

      ### EDIT Forest (wrong case on O)

      > near streams and creeks. It been in the sand, in the dirt, just about
      > everywhere (no snow yet though).

      > Review (back to top)

      > For starters, it's very lightweight and compact for a groundcover. It
      > weighs slightly less than a pound (.45 kg) and packs down to
      > approximately 8 x 8 x 3"

      ### EDIT Units on each dimension, please, here and in the conversion of

      (20 x 20 x 8 cm)

      > On these occasions, I spread out my Neat Sheet in front of my
      > tent so I can walk around camp in my socks. On another

      ### EDIT "another" should probably read "one" here since you haven't
      specified a first occasion.

      backpacking
      > trip, I wasn't feeling well but I still wanted to be outside and enjoy
      > the fresh air. I spread out the Neat Sheet and put my sleeping pad and
      > pillow (yes another luxury item) on the sheet and laid

      ### EDIT(?) lay (but this may be one of those UK/US things I get
      stuck on. I remain hopelessly mid-Atlantic, even after all these years
      in the US).

      outside. It was
      > nice to be able to be outside, but still be comfortable. I also use
      > the Neat Sheet to keep my rear clean while sitting on the ground. I
      > can fold it up a few times and use it as a pad while sitting on the
      > ground. It's also nice to wrap around my shoulders on cool nights.
      >

      > Once back to my car after a backpacking or camping trip, or even a
      > trip to the beach, I spread the Neat Sheet out in the back of my car
      > to keep all the dirty packs and boots from dirtying my interior.

      ### COMMENT bit of a style edit, I know, but two dirties in one
      sentence seems excessive to me. I think just "packs and boots from
      dirtying the interior" reads fine. The fact that these are dirty is
      implied.
    • Jennifer
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
        I made all the changes and uploaded my review. Unfortunately I
        haven't used the Neat Sheet in either of the capacities you mentioned.
        If I do end up using it either way perhaps I'll update my report.

        I'm actually thinking of cutting the weights out of my Neat Sheet to
        cut down on the weight, I imagine this will eliminate at least half of
        the weight. Colleen has done this.

        Anyway, thanks for your help.

        Jennifer

        <erd@w...> wrote:
        > Hello Jennifer,
        >
        > An intriguing review. The item's a bit heavy for my taste (as you say,
        > it is a luxury), but none the less sounds useful. As a matter of
        > interest, have you used it over a sleeping bag for extra warmth? If
        > so, does it add a few degrees? I think that, as a reader, that would
        > be one query I'd have, but I'd not hold up the review if you haven't
        > tried this. Also, has it been used as a groundsheet? Again, if not, no
        > biggie--it's your specific use of it that we are examining here. But
        > if you have personal experience of these matters and haven't mentioned
        > them, do put the info in...
        >
        > Best,
        >
        > Ted.
        >
        > BGT OR Editor
      • Emma Eyeball
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
          just FYI, the NeatSheet does indeed add warmth when used over a
          sleeping bag. it is a great groundsheet, a very cozy windbreaker, and
          an emergency bag cover when rain is splashing under the edges of one's
          tarp. i love my Neat Sheet!

          -colleen
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
            I totally agree. I've used mine hung under my hammock and it works
            great. Definitely adds warmth and wonderful at blocking wind and rain.

            Mine is cut up a bit to fit the hammock but it only weights 8oz now!

            jamie d

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball"
            <tarbubble@y...> wrote:
            > just FYI, the NeatSheet does indeed add warmth when used over a
            > sleeping bag. it is a great groundsheet, a very cozy windbreaker,
            and
            > an emergency bag cover when rain is splashing under the edges of
            one's
            > tarp. i love my Neat Sheet!
            >
            > -colleen
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
              Hi Jennifer,

              I noticed the link for your "Summary" section is not working in this
              OR. Please fix this ASAP so I can remove you from the Queue.

              thanks
              jamie d
              Edit Admin Officer