EDIT: OR - Leki Makalu Cor-Tec Poles - TV

  • Nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2005
      Tom -

      Loved the background on why you ended up getting poles. Struck by
      lightning - sheesh! Hope he recovered fully.

      I've made just a few edits. Go ahead and repost when you've made
      them, and in the meantime, I'll make sure there's a folder in place
      so I can approve this. Great review!

      - Steve

      [EDITS FOLLOW:]

      Finish: Anondized
      ***EDIT: "Anodized"

      Grip: CORE-TEK with positive angle
      ***EDIT: "COR-TEC" here and throughout the rest of the review (there
      are quite a few)

      Percipitation:
      ***EDIT: "Precipitation"
      Everything from rain to hail and everything in between.

      Basically, if my opinion was that if you were weak enough to need
      hiking poles, then you shouldn't be on the trail.
      ***EDIT: "Basically, my..."

      On the last day of my trip to Yosemite, this opinion changed
      suddenly. The afternoon before I
      had fallen and twisted my knee.
      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: "The previous afternoon I..." might read better

      The knee was swollen and tender and I still had 8 miles (13 km)
      till the trailhead.
      ***EDIT: "until" or 'til the trailhead

      My friend loaned my his poles and the next eight miles
      were a lot easier than I had expected them to be. In short, I
      realized that
      these poles were useful, but I was still a bit reluctant to get a
      pair. I
      was finally convinced to get a pair when another member of my hiking
      group
      was struck by lightening the same year I hurt my knee.
      ***EDIT: "lightning"

      It took several months for me to reach a decision, but in the winter
      of 2001
      I purchased my first pair of hiking poles. My darlings were a set of
      Leki
      Super Makalu CORE-TEK PA AS poles. These poles were three section poles
      with an adjustable anti-shock spring, a cork-like grip material (CORE-
      TEK),
      angled grips, and adjustable comfort wrist straps.
      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: This whole section and much of what follows is
      worded in past tense, which left me with the feeling that you've
      moved on from these poles to other pairs; consider putting this all
      in present tense when it refers to ongoing attributes of the poles,
      as opposed to past experiences. Your call.

      Several trips to sporting goods stores
      convinced me that the CORE-TEK material of the grips were much less
      slippery
      than the "rubbery" grip material on other models of poles.
      ***EDIT: "was much less..."

      If I can find more than one use for piece
      of gear, then it is likely to make repeat appearances on the trial
      with me.
      ***EDITS: "for a piece" and "on the trail"

      In one instance I used a ground sheet from
      a tent and my Leki Poles to create extra vestibule on the back of my
      tent so
      that I could keep gear dry during a rain/hail storm.
      ***EDIT: "an extra"

      I have even strung line between my poles to create a clothes line so
      that I could dry them after washing.
      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: "dry my clothes after" is best, as the current
      wording reads as if you might be drying the poles :-)

      I cannot even count the number of times they have
      kept me from taking a header on a rocky down hill section of trail.
      ***EDIT: "downhill"

      They have been super dependable have
      never let me down.
      ***EDIT: "and have"

      The problem I have is that the poles are very hard to adjust, then
      secure if my hands are wet, cold, or in gloves.
      ***EDIT: I know we're not supposed to suggest commas...but in this
      one case, adding a comma after "then secure," would make this much
      clearer.

      [END OF EDITS]
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
        Not only did he survive the lightening hit (Poles really saved his bacon)
        but not two years later he fell off of a cliff while in the Sierras with me.

        Hit snow at the bottom and slid. Fool crawled back up the snow field to get
        the pole he dropped.

        Just don't stand close to him.

        TV