Re: OR - Neat Sheet - Jennifer Pope

  • Jennifer
    Message 1 of 25 , Aug 28, 2005
      In my Ralphs they are near the picnic supplies, like paper plates,
      plastic forks, etc. At least I think that was where I last saw them.
      I think they may be a seasonal item in stores like Target, my Target
      is taking out the summer items and making room for winter/fall stuff
      already.

      Jennifer

      --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Lynne" <lynnedurham@g...> wrote:
      > Emma and Jennifer,
      >
      > Where do you find them in Wal-Mart...what part of the store? I've
      > searched my local Wal-Mart with no luck, but maybe I'm just looking
      > in the wrong place.
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 25 , Aug 28, 2005
        On 8/28/05, Jennifer <jennifer.pope@...> wrote:

        > In my Ralphs they are near the picnic supplies, like paper plates,

        Yes it would be at Ralph's just to complicate the thread. :]
        (a grocery store chain in California USA for our overseas friends)
        Ralph from ID

      • Andrew Priest
        Message 3 of 25 , Aug 28, 2005
          At 12:54 PM 28/08/2005, you wrote:

          >I also added information about the general price range of the Neat
          >Sheet. I'm not sure if this is appropriate or not, but I wanted to
          >mention that it's a really affordable item. I can take it out if it's
          >not ok.

          HI Jennifer

          Not really. We have a strict policy on MSRP or nothing in Reviews and
          Reports. Also your paragraph on availability etc is probably not
          really relevant to your Owner Review. Those are sorts of issues that
          are best sorted here in the forums (or other general forums) or in
          direct communication with yourself or by interested parties
          contacting the manufacturer.

          Thanks
          Andrew

        • Jennifer
          Message 4 of 25 , Aug 28, 2005
            I will take that section out before I upload (price and availability).
            Jennifer

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Priest <apriest@b...>

            Message 5 of 25 , Aug 28, 2005
              At 08:28 AM 29/08/2005, you wrote:
              >I will take that section out before I upload (price and availability).

              Thanks Jennifer.

              Andrew

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 25 , Aug 29, 2005

                Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. Do not
                worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors
                are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit
                within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit
                Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let
                me know directly at jdeben@....

                yourself, if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and
                uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. This
                way we can work with you on addressing any standard BGT policy edits
                which you can incorporate into your second and subsequent reviews
                before submission.

                The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
                start applying for Tests.

                review. Incorporating member edits and re-submitting to the list will
                usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
                for the official Editor. Please put REVISED in the subject line of
                your re-submitted review, if you take this route or make any changes
                to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

                will use APPROVED in the subject line.

                Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

                the list or contact me directly.

                Edit Administration Officer
              • edwardripleyduggan
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Hello Jennifer,

                  An intriguing review. The item's a bit heavy for my taste (as you say,
                  it is a luxury), but none the less sounds useful. As a matter of
                  interest, have you used it over a sleeping bag for extra warmth? If
                  so, does it add a few degrees? I think that, as a reader, that would
                  be one query I'd have, but I'd not hold up the review if you haven't
                  tried this. Also, has it been used as a groundsheet? Again, if not, no
                  biggie--it's your specific use of it that we are examining here. But
                  if you have personal experience of these matters and haven't mentioned
                  them, do put the info in...

                  Best,

                  Ted.

                  BGT OR Editor

                  > Product Description (back to top)
                  > The Neat Sheet is a multipurpose ground cover. There are countless
                  > ways it can be used for camping and backpacking as well as in many
                  > other capacities (the manufacturer's website lists many). It's also
                  > water and sand repellant

                  ###EDIT repellent
                  .

                  > Neat Sheets are widely available here in the US, or at least in the
                  > stores I frequent. I've never seen them in an outdoor retailer like
                  > REI, but they're common in "big box" stores like Target. I've even
                  > seen them in my grocery store recently. Although the manufacturer
                  > doesn't list a suggested retail price on their website, I've never
                  > seen them for over $10, often much less.

                  ###EDIT per your conversation with Andrew, I understand you will alter
                  the wording here. I think that it is OK to make a statement that they
                  are widely available and inexpensive.

                  > Field Information (back to top)
                  > The Neat Sheet has come with me on all my backpacking and camping
                  > trips for the past 8

                  ### EDIT eight

                  months or so. It has seen use on rocky grounds

                  ### EDIT ground (singular) is correct here

                  in
                  > the Sierras as well as wet moist ground in the Angeles National FOrest

                  ### EDIT Forest (wrong case on O)

                  > near streams and creeks. It been in the sand, in the dirt, just about
                  > everywhere (no snow yet though).

                  > Review (back to top)

                  > For starters, it's very lightweight and compact for a groundcover. It
                  > weighs slightly less than a pound (.45 kg) and packs down to
                  > approximately 8 x 8 x 3"

                  ### EDIT Units on each dimension, please, here and in the conversion of

                  (20 x 20 x 8 cm)

                  > On these occasions, I spread out my Neat Sheet in front of my
                  > tent so I can walk around camp in my socks. On another

                  ### EDIT "another" should probably read "one" here since you haven't
                  specified a first occasion.

                  backpacking
                  > trip, I wasn't feeling well but I still wanted to be outside and enjoy
                  > the fresh air. I spread out the Neat Sheet and put my sleeping pad and
                  > pillow (yes another luxury item) on the sheet and laid

                  ### EDIT(?) lay (but this may be one of those UK/US things I get
                  stuck on. I remain hopelessly mid-Atlantic, even after all these years
                  in the US).

                  outside. It was
                  > nice to be able to be outside, but still be comfortable. I also use
                  > the Neat Sheet to keep my rear clean while sitting on the ground. I
                  > can fold it up a few times and use it as a pad while sitting on the
                  > ground. It's also nice to wrap around my shoulders on cool nights.
                  >

                  > Once back to my car after a backpacking or camping trip, or even a
                  > trip to the beach, I spread the Neat Sheet out in the back of my car
                  > to keep all the dirty packs and boots from dirtying my interior.

                  ### COMMENT bit of a style edit, I know, but two dirties in one
                  sentence seems excessive to me. I think just "packs and boots from
                  dirtying the interior" reads fine. The fact that these are dirty is
                  implied.
                • Jennifer
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 1, 2005
                    I made all the changes and uploaded my review. Unfortunately I
                    haven't used the Neat Sheet in either of the capacities you mentioned.
                    If I do end up using it either way perhaps I'll update my report.

                    I'm actually thinking of cutting the weights out of my Neat Sheet to
                    cut down on the weight, I imagine this will eliminate at least half of
                    the weight. Colleen has done this.

                    Anyway, thanks for your help.

                    Jennifer

                    <erd@w...> wrote:
                    > Hello Jennifer,
                    >
                    > An intriguing review. The item's a bit heavy for my taste (as you say,
                    > it is a luxury), but none the less sounds useful. As a matter of
                    > interest, have you used it over a sleeping bag for extra warmth? If
                    > so, does it add a few degrees? I think that, as a reader, that would
                    > be one query I'd have, but I'd not hold up the review if you haven't
                    > tried this. Also, has it been used as a groundsheet? Again, if not, no
                    > biggie--it's your specific use of it that we are examining here. But
                    > if you have personal experience of these matters and haven't mentioned
                    > them, do put the info in...
                    >
                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Ted.
                    >
                    > BGT OR Editor
                  • Emma Eyeball
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 2, 2005
                      just FYI, the NeatSheet does indeed add warmth when used over a
                      sleeping bag. it is a great groundsheet, a very cozy windbreaker, and
                      an emergency bag cover when rain is splashing under the edges of one's
                      tarp. i love my Neat Sheet!

                      -colleen
                    • chcoa
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                        I totally agree. I've used mine hung under my hammock and it works
                        great. Definitely adds warmth and wonderful at blocking wind and rain.

                        Mine is cut up a bit to fit the hammock but it only weights 8oz now!

                        jamie d

                        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Emma Eyeball"
                        <tarbubble@y...> wrote:
                        > just FYI, the NeatSheet does indeed add warmth when used over a
                        > sleeping bag. it is a great groundsheet, a very cozy windbreaker,
                        and
                        > an emergency bag cover when rain is splashing under the edges of
                        one's
                        > tarp. i love my Neat Sheet!
                        >
                        > -colleen
                      • chcoa
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 3, 2005
                          Hi Jennifer,

                          I noticed the link for your "Summary" section is not working in this
                          OR. Please fix this ASAP so I can remove you from the Queue.

                          thanks
                          jamie d
                          Edit Admin Officer