OWNER REVIEW - Mountain Marathon

  • heidi mccormick
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 2:36 PM
      North Face Blue Igloo Sleeping Bag (20+ F)

      Name: Heidi McCormick
      Age: 35
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'2"
      Weight: 130 lbs.
      Email address: heidimccormick@...
      City: Spokane
      State: Washington
      Country: USA
      Date: August 1, 2005

      Backpacking background: Backpacking has been my
      favorite outdoor activity for 20 years. I backpack
      year round in the Pacific Northwest and Montana: from
      May-October in rugged, mountainous terrain and from
      November-April in scablands, wetlands, desert &
      coastal areas. As my profession demands four days of
      my time each week, most of my trips are 3-5 days in
      length, and I take two or more of trips per month. My
      dream for next summer is to thru hike the PNT (I'm
      saving my money already!) I'm a semi-lightweighter,
      usually carrying 20-25 lbs.

      Product information:

      Manufacturer: The North Face
      Year of manufacture: 2004
      Listed weight: 2 lbs. 13 oz.
      Delivery weight: 2 lbs. 13 oz.
      Length: regular 77"/195 cm, long 83"/210 cm
      Width: hip area 60"/152 cm, shoulder 56"/142 cm
      MSRP: $209

      The Blue Igloo women's 3-season sleeping bag is
      packaged with a nice 8x17 stuffsack in a larger
      nylon/mesh shorage bag. As a women's bag, it is
      designed specifically for women. The length is
      shorter and the hip area is wider and more insulated
      than regular bags. Also, its ripple counstruction is
      designed to distribute fill evenly, which increases
      heat efficiency for women (as women generally sleep
      colder than men).

      The shell, made of soft 'downproof' fabric that
      prevents down from escaping, holds the 600+ fill-power
      goose down. The fully insulated hood has an external
      pillow pocket that can be turned into a pillow. A
      zippered pocket near the head can be used to store a
      watch, keys or other small items. Other features
      include cords for hood and chest adjustment and a
      convenient full-length zipper that glows in the dark.

      I have taken this sleeping bag on many 3-5 day trips
      in Pacific Northwest and Montana mountain trails. I
      am very pleased with this durable bag. After one full
      year of use, it still looks quite new, and the loft as
      held beautifully. The women's sizing is absolutely
      perfect for my short and stocky body. I have enough
      but not too much wiggle room in the hips, and I like
      that.

      Having slept in the bag down to 20 degrees and
      retained a comfortable warmth, the temp rating is
      accurate for me. However, I wouldn't go colder
      without an insulating liner. And when I sleep in the
      bag at 60+ degrees, I am too warm and end up unzipping
      the bag and spreading it over me like a blanket. You
      can make do this way if you want to invest in only one
      3-season bag.

      The zippers glide without sticking (sticky zippers
      have been an annoyance for me in the past) and their
      glow-in-the-dark feature has been surprisingly
      convenient for those mid-night "bathroom trips".
      Probably my favorite feature is the comfortably
      insulated head area (forget the hat!) and pillow
      pocket.

      So far my only problem has been a slight unraveling of
      threads that created a 1/2 inch hole from which
      feathers leaked. I stitched up the hole myself, but I
      could've returned it to North Face for free repairs.

      One drawback for people seeking lightweight gear is
      the weight: 2 lbs. 13 oz. While some people may
      consider this bag lightweight, I've noticed that a few
      reputable companies are making even lighter bags that
      have the same temperature rating. So if you can
      afford to purchase a more expensive down bag, you can
      cut off a pound or more from the Blue Igloo's weight.

      Likes: fits my body perfectly; comfortable & even
      fill distribution; insulated head and pillow pocket;
      great zippers.

      Drawbacks: too warm in 60+ temperatures; unraveling
      of threads that created a small hole; may not be light
      enough for some people.

      __________________________________
      Yahoo! Mail
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 11:37 PM
        Both of your Owner Reviews have been added to the Queue. I have posted
        the sleeping bag one in the "Awaiting Edit" section and should be
        picked up soon. As per our policy I have posted your other review (the
        NF tent) in the "On Hold" section. It will be added to the "Awaiting
        Edit" section once your first review has gone through the editing
        process and has been approved and you have uploaded it.

        IF you have any questions please ask.
        Jamie D
        Edit Admin Officer
      • heidimccormick
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 4 4:28 PM
          Jamie

          Thanks. I apologize for sending both owner reviews at the same time.
          I realized after I sent both that you only wanted one at first, but
          there was so much information to take in, that I forgot that detail as
          I was posting the reviews. I am re-reading the survival guide so that
          I have more of the process in my memory.

          Heidi McCormick

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
          > Both of your Owner Reviews have been added to the Queue. I have
          posted
          > the sleeping bag one in the "Awaiting Edit" section and should be
          > picked up soon. As per our policy I have posted your other review
          (the
          > NF tent) in the "On Hold" section. It will be added to the "Awaiting
          > Edit" section once your first review has gone through the editing
          > process and has been approved and you have uploaded it.
          >
          > IF you have any questions please ask.
          > Jamie D
          > Edit Admin Officer
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4 11:19 PM
            No apology necessary Heidi. You are doing fine and re-reading the
            survival guide is a very good idea. I think I read it about 8 times
            when I first started.

            jamie d

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "heidimccormick"