OWNER REVIEW - North Face Mountain Marathon Tent

  • heidi mccormick
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005
      North Face Mountain Marathon Tent (one person)

      Name: Heidi McCormick
      Age: 35
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'2"
      Weight: 130 lbs.
      Email address: heidimccormick@...
      City: Spokane
      State: Washington
      Country: USA
      Date: August 1, 2005

      Backpacking background: Backpacking has been my
      favorite outdoor activity for 20 years. I backpack
      year round in the Pacific Northwest and Montana: from
      May-October in rugged, mountainous terrain and from
      November-April in scablands, wetlands, desert &
      coastal areas. As my profession demands four days of
      my time each week, most of my trips are 3-5 days in
      length, and I take two or more of trips per month. My
      dream for next summer is to thru hike the PNT (I'm
      saving my money already!) I'm a semi-lightweighter,
      usually carrying 20-25 lbs.

      Product information:

      Manufacturer: The North Face
      Year of manufacture: 2004
      Listed total weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz.
      Delivery weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz.
      Length: regular 77"/195 cm, long 83"/210 cm
      Width: hip area 60"/152 cm, shoulder 56"/142 cm
      MSRP: $230

      The North Face Mountain Marathon is a single person,
      three-season shelter that comes with stuff sack,
      poles, flysheet webbing, waterproof canopy, a nd . At
      3.5 lbs. total weight, with a

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • heidi mccormick
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2005

        Date: August 1, 2005

        Backpacking background: Backpacking has been my
        favorite outdoor activity for 20 years. I backpack
        year round in the Pacific Northwest and Montana: from
        May-October in rugged, mountainous terrain and from
        November-April in scablands, wetlands, desert &
        coastal areas. As my profession demands four days of
        my time each week, most of my trips are 3-5 days in
        length, and I take two or more of trips per month. My
        dream for next summer is to thru hike the PNT (I'm
        saving my money already!) I'm a semi-lightweighter,
        usually carrying 20-25 lbs.

        Product information:

        Manufacturer: The North Face
        Year of manufacture: 2004
        Listed standard weight: 3 lbs.
        Listed total weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz.
        Delivery total weight: 3 lbs. 5 oz.
        Length: 96 inches
        Width: 43 inches
        Height: 30 inches
        MSRP: $230

        The Mountain Marathon is a lightweight, three-season
        shelter that comes with a mesh canopy, waterproof
        flysheet, eight stakes, two poles, accessory sacks,
        and a stuff sack. The total stuffed size is 18x5
        inches.

        Here are some of the following features:

        • Color-coded canopy & flysheet make pitching easy
        • Lightweight aluminum poles are durable & strong
        • Mesh canopy allows air to circulate
        • Internal pockets keep personal items handy
        • Minimal use of stakes if desired (2 will work)
        • Glow-in-the-dark zipper pulls for nighttime use
        • Staggered pole sleeves between pole and canopy
        create strong structure against wind
        • Taped, nylon taffeta floor prevents water from
        seeping into the tent
        • Versatile pitching options: fly-canopy integrated,
        canopy-only, fly-only with footprint

        During the last 12 months, I have used this solo tent
        on many 3-5 day trips in Pacific Northwest and Montana
        mountain trails. This is an unusually designed yet
        well-made solo tent, and I have been pleased with all
        of the features described above.

        My favorite feature is the versatility of pitching
        options, something that can be difficult to find in
        solo tents. For hiking trips in arid deserts, I take
        the mesh canopy and leave the fly home. That way, I
        save on weight and space and enjoy stargazing from my
        tent. For trips in mountainous or rainy areas after
        the mosquitos have died off, I take only the fly and
        leave the canopy home. The canopy and the fly are
        each designed to pitch with the poles and stakes, so
        it is very easy to take either one and pitch a sturdy
        shelter. For exploring windy areas such as
        mountaintops and high plains, I take both the canopy
        and the fly. When pitched together with their
        staggered pole sleeves, they create a great buffer
        against wind. I have tried out numerous solo shelters
        owned by friends, and the Moutain Marathon is the best
        solo tent in all of my experience for remaining steady
        in heavy wind and rain. A mountain climber friend of
        mine also swears by this tent for its stability in
        wind.

        It is true that you can pitch the tent with only two
        stakes, but I prefer the tautness of four and always
        take at least four stakes, especially if I think I'll
        be encountering wind and rain.

        After one year of regular use, I have not had any
        tears or holes in this tent. The material is very
        durable.

        The only drawback that I perceive is the limited
        height of this tent (30 inches). While this height is
        perfect for short people like me, it could be
        inconvenient for taller people who won't be able to
        sit up in it.

        Favorite features: versatile pitching options,
        lightweight, secure in high winds

        Possible drawback for tall people: 30 in. height

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2005

          Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. Do not
          worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors
          are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit
          within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit
          Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let
          me know directly at jdeben@....

          yourself, if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and
          uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. This
          way we can work with you on addressing any standard BGT policy edits
          which you can incorporate into your second and subsequent reviews
          before submission.

          The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
          start applying for Tests.

          review. Incorporating member edits and re-submitting to the list will
          usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
          for the official Editor. Please put REVISED in the subject line of
          your re-submitted review, if you take this route or make any changes
          to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

          will use APPROVED in the subject line.

          Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

          the list or contact me directly.

          Edit Administration Officer