REPOST: OWNER REVIEW - Western Mountaineering UltraLite Sleeping Bag

  • emitzel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2005
      Owner Review: Western Mountaineering UltraLite Sleeping Bag

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Emily Mitzel
      Age: 32
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'4" (162 cm)
      Weight: 125 lbs (56.7 kg)
      Email address: emitzel@...
      City, State, Country: Sandy, Utah, USA
      Date: July 7, 2005
      Backpacking Background:
      My first real backpacking trip was almost 10 years ago on the Hermit
      trail in the Grand Canyon. Ever since then I have a real love for
      backpacking. My longest backpacking trips were two thirty day treks
      in the Himalayas of Nepal. I enjoy long day hikes, overnights, and
      week plus backpacking trips. Even though I have a lot of
      lightweight gear, my style of backpacking is usually heavy because
      of the number of days that I am traveling and the amount of food
      associated with longer hikes. I typically sleep in lightweight
      tents. Along with backpacking I enjoy spending my free time
      mountain biking, bike touring, trail running, backcountry and resort
      skiing, and alpine climbing.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: Western Mountaineering
      Year of manufacture: 2003
      Listed weight: 1 lb 9 oz (710 g) for the custom 5'6" (168 cm) size
      Weight as delivered: 1 lb 12 oz (790 g) plus 2 oz (56 g) for stuff
      sack
      Product description:
      The Western Mountaineering UltraLite sleeping bag is a mummy style
      sleeping bag rated at 20 F (-6 C). This sleeping bag has a 2-way
      full-length zipper to accommodate ventilating either your core or
      your legs. The full split collar for extra warmth on cool nights is
      a great benefit. Western Mountaineering uses 850 Plus which is
      labeled as the highest lofting premium goose down. The baffles are
      continuously spaced at 5 1/4 inch (13 cm) spaced and the whole
      sleeping bag is filled with 13 oz (368.5 g) of 850 fill down. This
      sleeping bag packs down to a very small 7 x 13 inches (17.8 x 33.0
      cm) and when unpacked quickly expands up to 4 - 5 inches (10 – 13
      cm) of loft. The girth of the UltraLite is 59/51/38 inches
      (149.9/129.5/96.5 cm) for shoulders, hips, and feet respectively.

      Field information
      When I decided that I needed a new 20 F (-6 C) sleeping bag I knew
      that I wanted it to be very light weight and small. After
      researching the sleeping bags on the market I found that the Western
      Mountaineering UltraLite was carried at a small sporting goods
      store. At the time they only made a 5'9" (175 cm) bag and a 6'6"
      (198 cm) sleeping bag. Both were too big for my 5'4" (162 cm)
      frame. The owner of the store thought that they may custom make
      another size and called the manufacturer. They were able to custom
      make my 5'6" (168 cm) sleeping bag and it was delivered in less than
      6 weeks. They also custom made a right zipping sleeping bag for my
      husband since we have found that we stay a lot warmer with the
      zippers of each of our sleeping bags facing in.

      I have slept in this sleeping bag in the desert, snow, rain,
      temperatures ranging from 20 to 100 F (-6.7 to 37.8 C) and altitudes
      ranging from 0 to 11,000 feet (3352.8 m). The water repellency of
      the shell is very good and also dries very fast. The fabric is
      finished with a DWR, (Durable Water Repellent) that is rated as
      80/20. My shell has been wet in the tent but the water beaded up
      and ran off the top. This sleeping bag has kept me very warm unlike
      some 20 F (-6 C) sleeping bags that I have had in the past. I was
      even warm sleeping in a snow cave with the outside temperature
      around 10 F (-12 C). The longest time frame that I've used this
      sleeping bag is on a 30 day bike tour in New Zealand which ranged in
      elevation from 0 to 2000 feet (609.6 m) and in temperatures of 20 to
      90 F (-6.7 to 32.2 C). It was great because of its size, weight,
      and warmth.

      The hood is very comfortable and warm and has drawstrings around
      both the neck and the face that are very easy to cinch and un-
      cinch. The two drawstrings also allow the body to stay warmer
      without using the full hood. The zipper moves very easily and can
      also unzip from the bottom for airflow for hot feet. I also like
      the black color of the sleeping bag with the blue panel on the top.
      It is nice to have the dark color of the sleeping bag and I like to
      be able to pull the sleeping bag out of its stuff sack and place it
      right side up without looking for how the hood is sitting.

      The UltraLite is very easy to stuff in it stuff sack. Even my
      husband's sleeping bag easily stuffs into the stuff sack.

      Summary
      The UltraLite sleeping bag is a good bag to use backpacking or bike
      touring through many different climates. I do not have any negative
      comments about this sleeping bag. I store the UltraLite unstuffed
      and have never washed it. I've owned it for almost 2 years and have
      slept in it at least 40 nights and it still looks and smells brand
      new.