REPOST: OR- Snow Peak Titanium Spork -- Mark Wood

  • woodmark0
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12 2:16 PM
      Graham,
      Thanks for the edit! I'm updated the perspective to be about simply
      my experince while leaving that they were purchased for both my wife
      and I.

      I also included the other suggestions and posted in the Owner Review
      Test folder.

      Mark

      -----------------------

      Snow Peak Titanium Spork Owner Review
      Reviewed June 25, 2005

      Name: Mark Wood
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 11" (1.8 m)
      Weight: 240 lb (109 kg)
      Email Address: woodmark0 at yahoo dot com
      Location: Chenango County, NY, U.S.A.

      Backpacking Background

      I grew up camping with my parents and have taken a few short
      backpacking trips as well as two 10-day trips. My wife and I have
      really gotten into hiking this year and our goal is to try to take one
      weekend overnight trip every month through fall. We mainly hike on
      rather rocky, hilly terrain.

      We try to purchase gear that performs well, while lowering our total
      carried weight. As an engineer, I enjoy researching different gear
      options in order to make an informed decision. My general base pack
      weight is currently around 25 lb (11 kg).

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Snow Peak
      Year of Purchase: 2005
      URL of Manufacturer: http://www.snowpeak.com
      MSRP: $8.95 U.S.
      Listed Weight: 0.6 oz (16 g)
      Weight as Delivered: 0.6 oz (16 g)
      Listed Dimensions: None Listed on Manufacturer's Web Site
      Measured Dimensions: 6.5 in x 1.5 in (16.5 x 3.8 cm)

      Item Description

      The Snow Peak titanium spork is a ultralight, backpackers eating
      utensil, sufficing as both a spoon and a fork. It came in very minimal
      packaging consisting of only a plastic bag with a cardboard tag at the
      top. No instructions were included on the cardboard tag, only the
      listed weight and the price. I'll venture a guess that if you need
      instructions on how to use a spork, you probably would be better
      suited to the traditional two piece fork and spoon set also available
      from Snow Peak.

      Basically, this utensil is a spoon with slots approximately 0.4 in
      deep (1 cm) cut into the front of it to form teeth, somewhat like a
      fork. The spork is constructed of titanium, a metal which is actually
      heavier than stainless steel. The weight savings of titanium comes
      from the fact that it is much stronger and therefore, items can be
      made thinner and still be strong. Because of this, the Snow Peak
      titanium spork is quite thin. Initial impressions rationalized that
      this might make the spork hard to hold in one's hand. However, Snow
      Peak does a good job of ensuring that there are no sharp edges on the
      handle and therefore, I find the spork quite comfortable to hold. The
      design is reminiscent of the fast food sporks I grew up with as a child.

      Reason For Purchase

      I'd like to say I purchased these for my wife and I because we wanted
      to find the most effective ultralight utensil around. But let's face
      it, plastic utensils, though not as durable, are in fact lighter.
      Truth be told, my wife and I saw these and decided they were just too
      cool to pass up! Plus, we justified the extra weight over the plastic
      versions since we no longer needed to carry two things (I know, it's a
      weak argument -- but we had to rationalize spending close to $20 on
      sporks somehow)!

      Initial Impressions

      I believe my initial impression after getting the spork home was
      something like "WOW! An official titanium spork!" I noticed after I
      had calmed myself somewhat how light these utensils really are. These
      handles appear strong and the fork points are sharp enough to be useable.

      It didn't take me long to try it out on a bowl of raman noodles.
      Since I figured I'd be eating this type of food on the trail, I wanted
      to try the spork at home first. I was impressed. The tines function
      very well to pick up noodles and the slits cut to make the tines
      aren't so deep that they render the spoon portion unusable. Granted
      the spork is not a spoon while eating the broth, nor a fork when
      eating the noodles, but it works pretty darn well! Plus, have you
      ever tried to eat long raman noodles with a spoon? Rather messy.
      Field Use

      This spork has been tested on a weekend backpacking trip in the
      Catskills of New York at 1000 - 3000 feet (305 - 914 m) and on a 10
      day backpacking trip in Shenandoah National Park at 1000 - 3700 feet
      (305 - 1126 m) above sea level as well as numerous meals around the
      house and on day trips to multiple hiking destinations. During those
      two major trips, the temperature varied from 35 F (1 C) to 70 F (21
      C). On both trips, rain was experienced.

      The spork has performed well. It cleans easily and works quite
      efficiently to get the burning hot food from the bowl into my mouth.
      If left in the hot food for too long, it does get quite hot. I
      haven't burnt myself yet, but I have purposely been careful. These
      sporks were also used to stir cooking food to keep it from sticking to
      the bottom of the pot. For this task they worked well also, but I
      would have liked the handles to be about one inch (2.5 cm) longer. I
      realize this would add more weight, but I felt I had to get my hand a
      little too close to the flame from the stove to stir the food.
      However, the sporks fit quite nicely into the 2 L (2 quart) MSR Alpine
      pot so they can be packed with the cookset. An inch on the end of the
      handle would no longer allow this. As hot as the spork can get while
      eating, I haven't noticed the heat rising up the handle and burning my
      fingers when stirring. However, I usually don't stir food for long
      periods since I'm usually racing to put the lid back on the pot and
      therefore, I have never left the spork in the hot food for any length
      of time.

      One important thing to note with the spork is that since it are made
      out of titanium and I use a stainless steel cooking set, there is the
      possibility of scratching the pot while stirring food. I havn't been
      overly careful but I noticed no scratches -- most likely due to the
      rounded edges of the spork.

      Conclusion

      The Snow Peak Spork is a very neat utensil with lots of "cool factor".
      While it may not be ideal in all instances, it works well enough for
      me! Plus, it does provide a bit of interesting conversation with those
      less informed about the entire spork concept!

      Pros:
      - Both the fork and spoon functions work well
      - Weigh very little
      - Very high "cool factor"
      - Clean very easily

      Cons: