Chinook Sleeping Bags

  • johnstrash1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 11, 2005
      I would like to know if anyone here has experience with the Chinook
      series of light sleeping bags. I am trying to make a very light pack
      in which I intend to use a hammock and the most compressible sleeping
      bag that I can get within my paltry budget. The closest thing that I
      can find up until this point are some of the bags made by Chinook.
      Specifically the Palm, Big Knuckle and Travelite. From what I can
      tell, these all pretty much compress down to the same size and are
      rated for 40 to 50 degrees, which should suit my needs for summer
      camping in the Southeastern US. Since these bags are approx $50, I am
      somewhat concerned abut their quality and accuracy of their
      temperature rating. Also, it seems that most people use sleeping pads
      in their hammock and I am not sure if a lite sleeping bag alone will
      be enough to keep warm in even the mildest conditions. Any input on
      this would be appreciated.
    • Brian
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 12, 2005
        This list is mostly for the running of the web site called
        backpackgeartest.org.

        Try this backpacking talk group for that discussion. You may find it
        more relevant to what you are looking for.

        We just had a good discussion about hammocking and bags not to long
        ago. Most folks over there are tree hangers anyways.

        Brian