REPOST GASMATE Mini Light owner review by Dennis Hayman

  • dennis hayman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2005
      GASMATE Mini Light with Piezo

      “Owner Review by Dennis Hayman”

      Personal Biography

      Name: Dennis Hayman

      Age: 53

      Gender: Male

      Height: 5 ft 5 in (165 cm)

      Weight: 163 lb (74 kg)

      Email: luckys57@...

      Residence: Bullsbrook Western Australia

      Date: 24/06/05

      Backpacking Background:

      I started backpacking late in 2004 and have now been out 4 times and covered 94 miles (152 km) on various types of terrain from beach to dense forest to hilly. I am basically a weekend backpacker and addicted to it already. All of my trekking has been done on the Bibbulmum track in Western Australia and the weather conditions have varied from 107 to 42 F (42 to 6 C) over the past 6 months.

      Product information

      Manufacturer: GASMATE

      MSRP: $43.00 AU

      Features: Piezo electronic ignition

      Frosted glass Made in West Germany

      Hanging chain

      Weight: Using kitchen scales 9.8 oz (280 g) including chain, mantle

      Weight of protective case 1.4 oz (40 g)

      Lamp: Height 4.72 in (120 mm) Diameter 3.54 in (90 mm)

      Output: 80 watt

      Carry case: Height 4.92 in (125 mm) Diameter 3.7 in (95 mm)

      This little gas lamp is a beauty. It comes with a self igniter and a hanging chain. Connection to a gas bottle is of a thread type and is made of brass construction, with inner and outer rubber grommet seals. There is a plastic but very robust knob for adjusting the gas flow and ignition. Around the glass is a chrome wire cage with a flip up solid stainless lid hinged on one side “spring clipped” on the other. The glass is frosted. A hanging chain is connected to either side of the wire cage and is 24 inch (600 mm) in total length giving you 12 inch (300 mm) in clearance when hanging up. The chains have clips for easy removal. The carry case comes in a green color and has a zip around the top for removal of the lamp. Inside there is a plastic sleeve to keep its shape and strength against being crushed. On the outer side of the case there is a loop strap for attaching to a pack.

      Field test and review

      The lamp has now been out on 3 treks and traveled 60 miles (100 km) over some rugged terrain. It has been operated out in the open and also in shelters with temperature ranges from 86 F (30 C) to 43 F (6 C). It has a stainless steel top which prevents light from penetrating upwards but also protects it from rain falling on the mantle. Windy conditions the night I camped atop Mt Cook had little or no effect on its performance. My last walk was in the South West around Walpole on the Bibbulmum track and it rained all of the first day. When I reached camp it was almost dark and I was required to fire up the lamp which had been attached to the outer side of my pack. The carry case was very wet on the outside although no water had penetrated onto the lamp. The carry case although very well made I have noticed the inner plastic strengthener has parted from where it is joined to itself by two staples. The outer loop attached is a good idea but the only way to attach
      it. To me it’s more of a hand carry loop than an attachment loop. Zip fastener on the top has to date given no trouble.

      The lamp runs on a butane/propane mix and gives of adequate light, I have found that I need to keep the lamp low to the ground for best lighting thus rendering the chain not necessary as I can carry the lamp by the bottle. With the lamp at full illumination it is possible to read by it and also generates a little warmth. The hanging chain also tends to tangle around the wire cage when in transit in its carry case. The normal string tie mantle is still holding together so it seems to travel quite well.

      The lamp connection to the bottle is very strong and the sealing o-rings are good. I have carried the lamp by the chain and the bottle when making those late night nature calls and the gas connection has always remained secure. My other walking partners are envious of my gas lamp and the weight is minimal extra to carry but the advantages of it are great.

      The Regulator for the gas flow is not as good as I would expect. As I depress the igniter and open the valve to get it started I do tend to lose a bit of gas and once going the flow of gas can vary when I move the lamp around. Once up and running and left alone it works great.

      The lamp is coupled to a 7.4 oz (210 g) net weight screw on canister 80%Butane 20% Propane.

      Summary

      The GASMATE lamp is durable and compact and lightweight and gives off enough light. It is economical although the gas control valve could do with some improvement.