OWNER REVIEW - Atlas 1225 Snowshoes

  • Mike Helminger
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
      Owner Review: Atlas Snowshoes – 12 Series
      June 6, 2005

      Reviewer's Information:
      Name: Mike Helminger
      Age: 25
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6'0"
      Weight: 180 lbs (82 kg)
      Email: mike_helminger@...
      Location: Seattle, WA USA

      Reviewer's Background:
      I moved to Washington State in January, 2004. Since then, I've
      fallen in love with hiking and now try to go every weekend. Typical
      hikes are on well-maintained trails in the Cascade Mountains.
      Average hikes are 10-15 miles (16-24 km) roundtrip with 2000'
      (610 m) elevation gains. I pay close attention to detail with all
      hiking accessories I own and, like the engineer that I am, try to
      observe flaws and improve the overall design (if possible). Now with
      a full year plus under my belt, I will be venturing into longer
      backpacking trips around 50 miles (81 km) in length. Being
      relatively inexperienced, I generally pack heavily, preparing for
      the worst case situation.

      Product Information:
      Manufacturer: http://www.atlassnowshoe.com
      Year: 2004
      Listed Weight: 4 lbs 4 oz (1.9 kg)
      Weight as Purchased: 4lbs 7 oz (2.0 kg)
      Warranty: Lifetime
      Extras: Carrying straps and protective cover
      MSRP: $200

      Field Information:
      This report is based on five uses of the Atlas 1225 Snowshoe. Three
      of the uses were in light, fluffy snow either in backcountry areas
      or on a normal hiking trail covered with snow. The other two were on
      a hard-packed surface.

      Overall, I'm very satisfied with the 1225. The shoes are
      designed and leave little to be desired. Traversing proved to be
      very comfortable relative to other shoes I've tried. The traction
      above average and the float is acceptable. The narrow width allows
      me to take a normal stride, even if I were to walk duck-footed.
      Weight is average for newer model snowshoes. These are the quietest
      shoes I've used out of all the new models I've tested (see
      below in
      Details). The binding system is second to none. For the price, I
      don't think there's a better product out there.

      Snowshoeing was a completely new sport to me. I was first introduced
      to it at the Winter Trails Day event held at a local Mountaineers
      lodge. At this event, they had new snowshoe products from all the
      major manufacturers including Atlas, Tubs, MSR, Redfeather, and
      others. Therefore, my first experience using snowshoes was highly
      objective, not having any brand preference. During the course of the
      day, I tested each of the shoes for traversing capabilities, general
      traction, weight, noise, ease of use, and general overall feel. The
      Atlas 1225 was not the clear-cut winner in every category, but
      overall, it was superior. Plus, at the list price at the time, it
      was a bargain like none other.

      Material: The frame is tubular 7075 Series Easton aluminum, TIG
      welded, and incredibly lightweight. Binding material is injection
      molded urethane. The crampon and side bar traction rails are
      stainless steel. The deck material is reinforced Duratek® which is
      comprised of nylon, PVC, Elvaloy, and urethane. All materials are
      covered by a lifetime warranty that is valid under normal use

      Binding: This is where the 1225 stands far above others. The binding
      system is similar to that of a snowboard ratcheting system, except
      easier. First I set the straps to my boot size, a task that only
      needs to be performed once. Then, all it takes to mount the shoes is
      stepping in and ratcheting two straps until snug. This can easily be
      performed with gloves or mittens on, a huge plus when it's frigid
      outside! The only drawback I've seen with the bindings is that
      they tend to come loose after awhile while trekking though deep snow.
      Somehow, the snow must place pressure on the release and loosen the
      bindings. Regardless, it's easy and quick to retighten (about 3

      Traction: Of all the shoes I tested, the traction was above average.
      The system is mounted with a spring-loaded binding that provides
      lateral flex and movement, allowing the crampon to dig into the
      terrain with more of a natural feel to your ankle and knees. This
      feature was incredibly noticeable compared to other shoes I've
      tried. For example, while traversing, I found the outside of my
      ankles becoming sore with other brands. Most new snowshoes do not
      flex transversely, and therefore, create stress on parts of the body
      not desirable to most. The 1225s were incredibly comfortable in this
      regard. To hold you in place while traversing, two small toothed-
      side bars run parallel with your foot and are located directly
      beneath the center of the foot. And for coming down the mountain,
      these shoes are a blast. The traction is such that if desired,
      glissading is quite easy – a feature that is not only fun, but
      saves time and energy.

      Float: In general, I find myself sinking in the snow a bit more than
      I would like with these shoes. Granted, the times I've gone out
      I've had powder to deal with, but I'm well within the
      weight range, including pack, for the 1225s. I tried the 1230s (30
      inches / 76 cm long) and they felt cumbersome and less natural.

      Sound: Aside from the sound of the snow flying up and hitting you in
      the backside, these shoes are silent, which to me is a big deal.
      There's nothing better than being out in a remote snowfield and
      having silence, at least in my opinion. Other shoes I tested were
      squeaky, rattled, or trapped snow between the deck and my boots,
      causing a popping sound when the snow hit the deck.

      Durability: Through my limited use, I have found no wear on the
      shoes. I have not used them in conditions other than snow, but I
      don't plan to either.

      Packing: The shoes come with carrying straps that wrap the shoes
      together, making it convenient to carry or place on your pack. The
      straps have a plastic cover that protects the crampons from other
      objects. I strap mine to my backpack and have no problems with
      easily transporting them. When packed down, they consume a volume of
      25" x 8" x 4" +/- (63 cm x 20 cm x 10 cm) (LxWxH).
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2005

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. Do not
        worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors
        are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit
        within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit
        Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let
        me know directly at jdeben@....

        yourself, if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and
        uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. This
        way we can work with you on addressing any standard BGT policy edits
        which you can incorporate into your second and subsequent reviews
        before submission.

        The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        start applying for Tests.

        review. Incorporating member edits and re-submitting to the list will
        usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
        for the official Editor. Please put REVISED in the subject line of
        your re-submitted review, if you take this route or make any changes
        to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Administration Officer