Re: [BackpackGearTest] Re: OOP - Monday May 27, 2005

  • Andrew Priest
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2005
      At 10:46 PM 3/06/2005, you wrote:
      >I find the "reference tree" concept interesting. There are USGS survey
      >markers (and others) here and there, but they are frequently almost
      >impossible to find, unless on a peak. Those near trails tend to get
      >totally overgrown, and since they are just small metal plates inset in
      >a rock, there's no obvious indication.

      Hi Ted

      If you go to http://aushiker.com/mount_dale_assault_photos.htm and the
      first photo on the second row you will see a Reference Tree. This one is
      easy to find, being located on the edge of the road. Sometimes the road has
      moved, sometimes the tree maybe off the road (I know of one which is no
      longer near a road or track - the track is long gone), sometimes the tree
      has long gone, so whilst they are good, they are not something that can be
      relied on.

      Regards
      Andrew