REPOST- OWNER REVIEW MEC DOPPLER FLEECE PULLOVER

  • Francois de Gourville
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25 9:01 AM
      Owner Review- MEC DOPPLER FLEECE PULLOVER

      Biographical Information:

      Name: Francois de Gourville
      Age : 20
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5� 9�
      Weight: 150 lbs
      Email: f_degourville@...
      City: Lacombe Alberta, Canada.
      Size: Men�s Large
      MSRP: CAD$65.00

      Date: May 25, 2005

      Background:
      I�m new in the backpacking field. I was born in the
      Caribbean, but grew up in the city of Brampton
      Ontario, Canada. I�ve had interest in things such as
      Backpacking and Rock Climbing, but was never able to
      pursue any of these until I enrolled in University in
      the fall of 2004.; majoring in Outward Pursuits (3.yr.
      B.A.). I get the chance to learn about and be
      involved in those activities mentioned above and more
      including: Canoeing, Camping, Mountaineering,
      Kayaking, etc. During my first year, I went on a few
      trips close to the Canadian Rockies (Mosquito Creek,
      Kooteny Plains, 2 O�clock Creek, Kananaskis), and
      throughout the next two years, I will be spending more
      time in some of those and other surrounding areas.
      Though my experience isn�t extensive, my knowledge in
      this field is growing continually. However, the summer
      of 2006 will be a turning point for me, as I am
      planning on thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail,
      Southbound. I don�t quite have a �backpacking style�
      yet, as I�m just beginning. I am experimenting however
      with lite-weight packing. By the beginning of summer
      �06 I plan to have moved from a 50lb pack to 25-30lbs.

      Product information is as follows

      Manufacturer: MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-Op) -
      www.mec.ca
      Year of manufacture: Unknown (Not given on
      Manufacturer�s website)
      Listed Weight: 410g
      Product description-
      Color: Cedar/Charcoal
      Other colours available: Black/Black, Smoke
      Grey/Charcoal
      The website lists that the shoulder, lower arms and
      hip panels are made with Polartech Power Stretch�
      fabric; which allows the material to stretch with my
      movement. I did some research on this material, and
      here are some technical points on it:
      � Highly breathable
      � Body hugging 4-way stretch; giving you unrestricted
      freedom of movement
      � Provides warmth, without weight and bulk
      � Wind resistant properties
      � Machine Washable
      On the lower arms of the Doppler it is strategically
      placed just below the elbows and extends upwards past
      the wrists (engulfing the forearm) so that when I curl
      my arms inwards, towards my body, my wrists do not get
      exposed. The design is also quite appealing to me. The
      shoulder, lower arms, and hip panels, are charcoal
      colored while the rest of the pullover is cedar. When
      I saw it in MEC my first thought was that it looked
      too good to be used in the backcountry. Initially I
      decided to use it as a casual dress item. There is an
      elastic drawstring located in the hip panels of the
      Doppler. It could be cinched up with one hand, gloves
      on or off, and has one side to cinch it up; which is
      situated on the right. The Doppler also sports a high
      neck collar which reduces heat loss. An extra unique
      feature is, a small pocket fitted with a zipper on the
      sleeve of the left hand, for easy access of small
      items like lip balm.

      Field information-

      When I bought this pullover, my intentions were to use
      it as a casual dress item during the winter months
      under a light jacket; so that I could dress well and
      be warm at the same time. However, my Winter Camping
      class was scheduled to take 3 days-2 nights, on a
      field trip to Mosquito Creek, British Columbia; about
      a 4 hour drive from our location in Alberta. The
      conditions were to be quite fair; clear skies and
      sunny. Exact temperatures I won�t be able to provide,
      but approximately it was above 0C (32F) during the day
      (plus or minus a degree or so) and at night dropped to
      roughly -10C (14F). Our exact elevation is unknown,
      but we were not too far below Alpine Tree-Line. The
      ground was covered with between 3- 4.5 ft (0.91-
      1.22m) of snow. I was short on sweaters and decided
      to take the Doppler along with me, use it this once on
      the trip then retire it to the use I had intended it
      for; once I got back .That never happened.
      My insulating layer was a Lite- weight pullover
      underwear top, and I wore a fleece jacket as an outer
      layer overtop the Doppler. When it got colder, I put
      my Columbia Down fill Parka overtop the fleece jacket.
      We spent a day snowshoeing/cliff jumping, and while we
      were on the move I had the Doppler packed away in my
      daypack. When we stopped to rest, I pulled it out in
      order to protect my core temperature. Throughout a
      good percentage of our trip, this was all I needed to
      stay relatively warm. At times it got windy, but I
      never did feel the chill. Once I pulled the drawstring
      cord in tight to my body, no wind was able to sneak up
      from underneath, and it worked well with the base
      layer I had on. The length of the Doppler goes below
      the waist line and allows you to tuck it inside your
      snow pants. The neck collar (I call it a neck Gaiter)
      I was able to use as a balaclava quite easily. The
      elasticity allowed it to stretch, but kept it quite
      firm, and snug, overtop my nose when the wind got
      pretty rough; a great plus. Many a time I found myself
      asleep in the snow on the trail whenever we stopped to
      rest; I was that comfortable. My classmates named me
      Sleepy the 6th Dwarf after that. They would always
      find me in a snow bank sleeping.
      In regards to the pocket on the sleeve of the left
      arm, I never had cause to use it on my trip. Not to
      say that it is useless, but there was never an event
      that called for me to use this feature on that
      particular trip. However, on a recent trip to the
      Middle East, I was leaving Toronto one pretty cold
      evening and I was wearing the Doppler. I had put some
      change in that pocket for some reason and I forgot
      about it. When I was trying to get through the metal
      detectors, they couldn�t figure out why it kept
      beeping. I took off my belt, then my sunglasses, a pen
      I had in my pocket. Finally after every pocket was
      emptied, they scanned me manually (with the hand
      device of course) and it beeped on my left wrist. Even
      though it was my watch, I remembered the change I had
      in there. After that, I never put anything back in
      there for fear of forgetting about it. Weather or not
      this is a helpful feature is a matter of personal
      opinion.

      Summary
      Overall this is a great Intermediate Layer to have. I
      used it many times outside of backcountry trips. At
      times, a cotton t-shirt, the Doppler Fleece Pullover,
      and a lightweight jacket were all I would need for a
      brief walk in -15C (5F) weather. Now for a guy born in
      the Caribbean, that five minutes may as well be a
      lifetime spent in Antarctica, but with the Doppler if
      I was blind and couldn�t see the snow around me, I
      wouldn�t know the difference.
      One thing I didn�t like had to do with the draw cord.
      Though I like this feature, the cord itself
      malfunctioned. Somehow it had severed above the
      plastic clip. I�m still trying to figure out exactly
      how. Fortunately it happened when I had it cinched
      quite a ways and was able to let it out to a semi
      normal form before cutting the excess off, but I
      wasn�t too happy about that. After some patchwork
      (duct tape to the rescue) it is still functional and
      serves its purpose.
      Even though it hasn�t been used in a backcountry
      setting to a great extent, the Doppler Fleece Pullover
      has kept me warm through many cold days. I continue to
      use it, and definitely will be taking it on further
      trips.

      FD