WhisperLite Owner Report

  • Tom Ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002

      Jerry

      This is my first gear review.  Let me know if this is appropriate and if it can be upleaded.

      MSR WhisperLite - Owner Review

      Manufacturers Support web site:

      http://www.msrcorp.com

      Price:

      $36.00

      Weight:

      1 lb

      Usage

      : Backpacking, hiking, canoe camping,

      How long have I use this stove? 14 years

      Overall rating

      : 8 out of 10

      My e-mail

      : tross45@...

      My name: Tom Ross

      My Age: 57

      Height: 6 ft

      Weight: 175 lbs

      My area of the country

      : Arkansas Ozarks, close to the Buffalo National River

      My Background

      : I have been camping, hiking, canoeing and backpacking most of my life. I did some backpacking as a Scout while growing up and then got more into backpacking when I worked as Scoutmaster for a local troop. While working with the Scouts, we made two great trips to Philmont. Since retiring from the Troop, I have made a number of backpacking trips here in the Ozarks. The Ozarks are older, less extreme mountains, that offer a lot of beautiful scenery. We have and annual rainfall of about 50 inches. Our summers are hot, winters a cold, but not to bad and spring and fall are just great. I have also done backpacking in Utah, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico. Canoe camping on the Buffalo National River also is one of my passions.

      Use

      : I have used my WhisperLite stove on all of my backpacking trips. Up until this year it was the only backpacking stove that I owned. I purchased the stove just prior to our first trip to Philmont Scout Ranch. We needed stoves for this trip and at that time this was what I thought was a good lightweight stove. The cost of the stove at that time was about $36.00. I opted not to purchase the more expensive WhisperLite International because I was planning to use the stove in the U.S. and knew that white gas (Coleman Fuel) was readily available.

      Description

      : The WhisperLite is basically a three-prong steel pot support with a burner attached under the stand. The burner is constructed of several corrugated circular metal plates that are attached to a metal cup with a screw. There is a small cup below the burner where a small amount of fuel is burned (priming) in order to start vaporizing the fuel in the gas line. You must attach a fuel canister to the gas line on the WhisperLite. There is a thumb knob (control valve) for turning the gas on and off. A pump assemble must be inserted into the fuel bottle to pressurize the fuel canister. The vaporized fuel enters the stove through a fuel jet. The stove is designed so that once the stove has started to burn, the fuel line passes near the flame. This allows the fuel to be preheated to the vaporization point. The vaporization pushes the fuel out of the fuel line and through the fuel jet. The vapor ignites as it flows through the corrugated burner plates.

      When cooking with the stove it is important to use the windscreens provided with the stove. The screens keep the wind from blowing the flame out and also increase the efficiency of the stove. If you are cooking in the snow, you will need to place the stove on a base for support. For normal operation just look for a level surface for the stove.

      Weight

      : When I bought this stove it was the lightest stove I could find. Today, it is a little on the heavy side, about 15-oz. You also have the weight of the fuel bottle and fuel to consider.

      Maintenance

      : Having had this stove for 13 years, I have seen the areas that need maintenance. Keeping the fuel jet clean is very important. When the fuel jet is not clean the stove will not work as efficiently. Cleaning is done with jet cleaning wire provided with the stove. Be careful with this jet cleaner. The small wire can break. The other area for concern is the pump apparatus. I have had problems with the leather pump cup. It can dry out. Check the plunger. If the pump cup is dry, use light oil to recondition. In the field, I have use cooking oil or Vaseline for conditioning the cup. There are several "O" rings on the pump and one on the fuel canister. These should be checked and replaced if there are signs of ware are aging. The check valve on the end of the pump apparatus should be cleaned if the fuel bottle does not hold pressure.

      Operation

      : Remove the fuel bottle top and insert the pump apparatus, being careful to not dislodge the fuel filter on the intake line of the pump. Pressurize the bottle with 10-15 strokes on the pump plunger. Connect the fuel line from the stove to the pump assemble. Prime the stove by slowly releasing a small amount of fuel into the priming cup. Do not over prime. This will cause flair ups that could potentially harm you or anyone standing over the stove. Light the priming fuel and just as the fuel is about to burn out, open the fuel control valve. If the stove does not light on it�s on, use a lighter or match to light the stove. The stove should burn with a blue flame, if it is yellow, turn down and let it warm up a little more. The stove works best when wide open. Simmering is possible, but this is a weak point of this stove. Reversing the fuel control valve turns off the stove.

      Summary

      : The WhisperLite is a great backpacking stove. It is very durable and can last a long time. Maintenance on the problem parts (pump cup, "O" rings, check valve and check valve) should be done prior to each trip. Some people carry a repair kit that can be used in the field. Be careful with the quantity of fuel for priming or use alcohol or priming paste. MSR is a good company that stands behind their products. They have been around a long time, which means I can still get parts of the stove.

      Submitted by,

      Tom Ross

      January 2, 2002

      tross45@...

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Send your FREE holiday greetings online at Yahoo! Greetings.
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2002

        It looks good to me. Although I’m funny about rating systems, feel free to use them. Rating systems only apply to the person testing the item. Everyone will have to come up with their own number anyway. That’s why I just stick to reporting and pass on the rating. It could well have little relevance to the person reading the report. I made a folder for it so please upload. Thanks for the report.