OWNER REVIEW - Bivouac 270 Camping GAZ lantern

  • designeco_net
    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2005
      Personal Biographical Info

      Name: Richard Unwin
      Age: 36
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6’ (1.86 m)
      Weight: 180 lbs (82 kg)
      Email: runwin@...
      Country: Australia , Brisbane , Queensland
      Date: 1st of May 2005

      Backpacking Background: I've been backpacking and camping for 30 years
      (ever since I was a Boy Scout). Scouts is almost a requirement to
      doing these reviews. Anyway my camping history extended past Scouts to
      family tours of Australia camping out the back of the family car.
      Easter holidays were always the big event with several families
      meeting up from all over Aus to camp for the week.
      From this level of camping I set out on the world tour with my
      backpack and eventually came back to Australia after 5 years of world
      travel and camping. Fave place camping was early winter in Banff
      Canada( memories of brushing snow off the tent each day). After coming
      back to Australia and marrying my beautiful wife we still enjoy
      camping and have camped most recently on the beach at North Stradbroke
      Island just off the coast here at Brisbane. If anyone is ever thinking
      of visiting Australia and camping then this is the way to do it. Pull
      up the car on the edge of the beach and camp for a few days. Surf,
      Fish, Eat and Campfire stories are what it’s all about.

      Other places I have camped have been Antarctica for the winter season
      in 2001-2003, Lots of the USA and Canada, and parts of Asia and Europe.

      Product Information
      Manufacturer: CampingGaz (Bleuet)
      Mfg URL: www.campingaz.com
      Year of Manufacture: 200?
      Purchased: April 2005 AUD$ 50.00
      Mfg Weight: 7 oz (200 g)
      Tested Weight: 6.9 oz (200 g)
      Tested Weight of plastic case: 3.4 oz (100 g)
      Type: Butane/Propane canister lantern (canister CV270 AUD$7.95)
      Misc: includes spare mantle

      Product Description
      The CampingGaz 270 Lantern is a single-mantle, gas canister fuelled
      lantern. It uses a butane/propane fuel mix available in either 7 3/4
      oz (220g) or 16 oz (450 g) valved canisters. The canisters are
      non-refillable.

      Evaluation Criteria

      I have started car camping again recently and on the first outing no
      one of the 5 families had a lantern. The lack of lighting made it
      rather hard cooking shining the torch into the pot all the time. So
      the hunt was on to find a suitable light source for the next trip. In
      order of importance, the features I looked for were brightness, light
      weight, initial cost, rate of fuel use, and availability of fuel.
      While car camping size and weight does not normally mater I placed a
      high importance on these as there is always the chance we will abandon
      the car and actually lug everything into a camp site (old school style).

      Field Report

      Brightness
      The light output from the light at full open was impressive and would
      come close to the stated 100w output, needless to say this light runs
      hot and should at no point be left unattended near anything flammable
      or used inside modern day tents.

      Light weight

      Weighing the light at 205g met the manufacturer’s specification and is
      certainly one of the lightest around especially when you consider the
      100watt output. The light also comes in a plastic container for
      storage (this weighs in at 100grams) + a can of CV270 gas at 380grams
      and an all up weight of 685 grams will get you started. Oh. Plus
      matches or lighter to get it all going.

      Initial cost
      $50.00 AUD + $7.95 AUD for a can of CV270 compared favourably in the
      Brisbane market place, what really sold it for me was the size and
      light output.

      Rate of fuel use

      I shall credit Jim Hatch with a well written report and there is not
      too much need to repeat alot of the comments about set up and
      operation of this little light except to explain that the operation of
      the light is very easy and it is interesting to compare his fuel usage
      with mine. I used the lantern for nearly 8 hours camping on the beach
      and for 2 hours ran the light flat out while cooking and then for
      around 6 hours dimmed down to provide enough light for everyone to
      move around the camp ground without hitting anything. The canister was
      a CV270 and my kitchen scale says it weighs about 300g.

      Quote from Jim’s review “The final thing I learned is that a CV-270
      cartridge has a weight when full of 13.4 oz (380 g) and an empty
      weight of 5 1/2 oz (160 g). So now when I want to figure out how full
      a cartridge is, I can simply weigh it to determine how much fuel is left”.

      Using Jims figures that would mean the canister is still %63 full or
      around 140grams of fuel left in the can.

      I am very impressed now that I have worked out the figures as I
      estimate I could use the light for a full 3 nights of camping and
      still have a bit left.

      Availability of fuel

      Australia is a camping country so while the canister usees a screw
      less canister at this stage I don’t forsee availability problems in
      the country. I have spent some time looking on the web and have found
      details of a Japanese company that makes adaptors and refill valves
      for these canisters so once they come back with prices and
      availability I shall add the details to the review, as this would mean
      you could go anywhere and refill the can or use the generic type cans
      with the threaded valves.
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5, 2005
        > Product Information
        > Manufacturer: CampingGaz (Bleuet)

        > Purchased: April 2005 AUD$ 50.00

        Hello Richard and welcome to BGT.

        Thanks for posting your Owner Review, however, a quick review of
        it shows you have just not had enough "in the field" use of this item
        to qualify your OR for review. From "HOW TO BECOME A GEAR TESTER IN
        THREE EASY STEPS" - "For your owner reviews, you should choose an
        item that you have had significant experience with, and the best
        thing would be your favorite piece of gear. You should have owned
        and used the gear long enough to be able to comment on its durability"

        Please take a careful look at the documents at
        and
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php> [Chapter 3]. It may
        also be helpful to go to our webpage http://www.backpackgeartest.org
        and read through a few recent Owner Reviews so you can get a feel for
        the format we use.

        In the meantime if you feel like you would like some assistance with
        this process, we do have a mentor program. If you are interested,
        just let me know and we'll get you squared away.

        Again welcome to the group.

        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Administration Officer
      • Richard Unwin
        Message 3 of 4 , May 5, 2005
          Jamie, thanks for the comments I shall undertake a review of some
          other pieces of gear that I have and submit them.

          Regards Richard Unwin.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2005
            Thank you Richard. Please wirte and submit only one to begin with.
            I'll keep an eye out for it.

            jamie d
            edit admin officer

            --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, Richard Unwin <runwin@g...>