EDIT: OR - Osprey Ceres 50 Backpack - Michael Slater

  • Nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2 11:11 PM
      Michael -

      Thanks for a solid first owner review. I wouldn't mind seeing more
      usage and a bit more detail added to the report, but you've met our
      requirements.

      I have a few edits, marked below with "***EDIT", as well as some
      questions for you to consider. Go ahead and update your review, then
      repost it here with the word "REPOST" in the subject line. I should be
      able to approve it quickly with the changes noted below addressed.

      Regards,
      Steve
      BGT Editor

      [EDITS FOLLOW]

      Height: 5'8"
      Weight 160
      ***EDIT: Please add metric equivalents for these two measurements

      My criteria was:
      ***EDIT: "were"

      § Volume sufficient for a short, but gear-intensive trips
      ***EDIT: "for short"

      I initially selected a Gregory Z Pack because it was the right
      volume and weight, but I returned it after just a few trips when the
      bottom seams and fabric began to tear quickly in an alpine
      environment (Thank you, REI).
      ***EDITS: "thank you"; also, generally we don't like to mention
      competitive products in a review - this would best be changed to
      "another manufacturer's lightweight pack" instead of naming the
      specific product

      After loading up a size medium with a bunch of heavy gear
      and marching around the cramped isles for a few minutes, I took a
      deep breath and paid the $169.00.
      ***EDIT: this doesn't match the price stated above; if you got it for
      less than MSRP, no need to give the actual price you paid here

      The Ceres 50 is an internal frame packs with a 3,000 cubic inch
      volume that weighs in at 4 pounds.
      ***EDIT: "pack"

      Its bright orange color will no doubt make it easy to find later if I
      need to drop it before that
      final summit bid.
      ***EDIT QUESTION: have you tested this?

      Initial Impressions

      It looks like money well spent. The fabric appears quite durable.
      There is a wealth of attachment points.
      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: this read a bit odd in the present tense; consider
      past tense, or say what you think now, after owning it for quite some
      time

      And the pack is much lighter than it looks like it should weight.
      ***EDIT: "weigh"

      The hip belt has a very nice tightening mechanism.
      ***EDIT QUESTION: could you describe this mechanism?

      The weather has ranged from sunny and clear to rain and snow. I've also
      glissaded and rappelled wearing the pack.
      ***EDIT QUESTION: how much gear (weight and/or volume) did you
      carry—can you be more specific?

      § The pack lives halfway up to its reputation for stability.
      ***EDIT SUGGESTION: it would be helpful here if you'd note that you
      explain what you mean by this below (I found this a bit jarring until I
      saw the information about eliminating space in the suspension by your
      back)

      § The pack gives good clearance to my head and my arms. I can
      lean forward and still look up, even with a helmet on and there's
      no interference my arms when I reach up for a hold.
      ***EDIT: add comma after "helmet on"

      § While the pack does a good job of stabilizing it's contents,
      I haven't yet customized the fit to eliminate completely the
      space between the pack and my lower back.
      ***EDIT: "its" contents

      The pack is streamline, but still offers enough organization to ensure
      that
      mountaineering gear (pickets, wands, probes, shovels and multiple
      changes of gloves) is accessible.
      ***EDIT: streamlined

      Buyers should be aware that a multitude of straps, while useful for
      stabilizing the load, could
      get annoying and time-consuming.
      ***EDIT: this is "projecting" what others might find...instead, word it
      either personally (e.g. "I found the multitude of straps annoying...")
      or simply state that buyers should be aware that there are lots of
      straps to adjust

      [END OF EDITS]