OWNER REVIEW - KELTY TETON 2

  • swdelrosso@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      Kelty Teton 2 Tent Owner Review

      Manufacturer: Kelty, 2005
      Web site: http://www.kelty.com/
      MSRP: $99 tent, $29 footprint

      Tester: Steven DelRosso
      Age: 35
      Gender: Male
      Height: 6 ft 1 in (185 cm)
      Weight: 185 lb (84 kg)
      Email: swdelrosso@...
      Locale: Middletown, DE U.S.A.
      Date: April 29, 2005

      Selection and Initial Impressions:
      With my boys scouting giving me an opportunity to get back into hiking and
      camping, I pulled out all of my old gear that I used as a Scout to see what was
      still in working order. My tent was one of the original dome designs, with
      solid fiberglass section poles, without shock cords! The memories of the weight
      and pain of trying to hold 8 of those poles together while sliding them
      through a full length sleeve convinced me that I should look for a new tent.

      My criteria for the new tent were space, weight, vestibule area and price in
      that order. I limited my search to 2 person, 3 season, free standing tents to
      give me the most flexibility in its use. After creating a spreadsheet to
      collect data and compare 23 different tents, I narrowed my selection between the
      Kelty Gunnison 2, REI Half Dome and Kelty Teton 2. While the Gunnison and
      Half Dome had more space and vestibule area, I went with the Teton for the
      lighter weight and super low price, thinking it would be a cheap way to see what I
      really need/want in a tent.

      Upon receiving the tent, I immediately set it up in my family room (the
      advantage of a free standing tent!) The included instructions were quite clear but
      pretty much unnecessary as this tent is a breeze to set up. Two
      light-weight, shock-corded, aluminum poles slide together with precision. The ends slide
      into holes in the plastic clips on the tent corners and the tent is supported
      by the poles utilizing clips for fast setup. The corner plastic clips also
      hold half a buckle for the included rain fly to attach too, and the corners of
      the tent and rain fly are color coded. Since the Teton only has one door, the
      color coded system ensures no embarrassing or prolonged experiences in the
      rain if you put the vestibule on the opposite side of the door! The rain fly
      includes three guy-outs, one on each end and one on the side opposite of the
      vestibule. A mesh gear loft and eight aluminum stakes complete the package, four
      for the corners, three for the guy-outs and one for the vestibule.

      The ends of the tent and the side without the door have nylon taffeta three
      quarters of the way up, and no-see-um netting at the top. The door side is
      almost all no-see-um, with a small panel of taffeta on the D-shaped door. For
      rain-free nights, the Teton would afford great views of the environment. The
      rain fly is shaped like a table, with long legs to attach to the plastic clips
      at the tent corners, and just enough material at the top to cover the
      no-see-um. The combination is designed to maximum airflow and reduces condensation.

      All seams are seam sealed and the floor utilizes Kelty’s “ArcEdge”
      technology that has “floor/side seams that have been catenary cut and sewn with bias
      binding on the inside of the tent. Lifts floor construction seams off the ground
      to prevent water leakage.”

      Specifications:
      As quoted by Kelty:
      “Lighten your load, not your wallet with the super-value Teton. Its simple,
      easy-to-pitch two-pole design offers superb ventilation and quick set up”

      Size: 2 person
      Seasons: 3
      Floor Area: 31 sq ft (2.88 sq m)
      Vestibule Area: 7 sq ft (0.65 sq m)
      Floor Dimensions: 90 x 54 (tapers to 44) in (228.6 x 137.2 cm)
      Inside Height: 40 in (101.6 cm)
      Minimum Weight: 4 lb 2 oz (1.87 kg)
      Packaged Weight: 4 lb 10 oz (2.10 kg)
      Footprint Weight: 8 oz (226 g)
      Actual Weight: 4 lb 15 oz (2.23 kg) Tent, fly, poles (with bag), stakes (with
      bag), footprint (with bag)

      First Field Test:
      My first use of this tent was on my sons’ Cub Scout Cub-a-Ree held at
      Del-Mar-Va Council’s Camp Rodney in Northeast, Maryland on April 29, 2005. As
      expected, the tent set up without a hitch in less than 10 minutes (had to help my
      boys set up their tent too!) My full length Therm-a-Rest mattress and
      extra-long Kelty Lightyear 3D bag fit inside the tent with room to spare on either end.
      With rain expected during the night, I put the fly on and placed my large
      (>5,000 cu in) internal frame backpack inside the vestibule, which fit snuggly,
      but without touching the fly. The vestibule can only accommodate one pack and
      still leave room for door access.

      Upon climbing into the tent and my sleeping bag, I stretched out and tested
      the fit. With the 90 in length, I should have had plenty of room, but between
      the steeply sloped walls and the cut of the floor, I had just an inch to spare
      on either end. Width was fine for one, but would definitely be tight for
      two, so I would only recommend it for couples!

      Ventilation was excellent and I could feel air movement on my face, even in
      the calm conditions of the evening. With high humidity from the approaching
      storm and the temperatures dropping into the mid 40’s F, I figured this would be
      a good condensation test.

      The rain started at 2:30AM, and I immediately checked for leaks. The fly was
      shedding water nicely, and no water was getting on my pack in the vestibule.
      A quick check of the walls showed no signs of condensation or leaks. By
      morning, everything was still dry, including the end of my sleeping bag, which
      inevitably touched the bottom of the tent at some point in the night. The walls
      showed now signs of condensation. After 11 hours of continuous rain, the tent
      was still dry when we broke camp.

      In all, I was very happy with this tent on its first outing in trying
      conditions. It has met all my needs of lightweight, fast setup, dry and reasonable
      space. If you will be camping with a companion frequently, I would not
      recommend this model as the floor space would be tight, and the single vestibule
      would not accommodate two full size packs. As a one person tent however, it’s
      like having a suite!

      Tester’s Background:
      Like many backpackers, I inherited my enjoyment of nature from my father, and
      further refined it through Scouting. The Finger Lakes region of New York
      provided rugged hiking trails and beautiful scenery in all seasons. Philmont,
      New Mexico was the capstone of my scouting carrier, carrying 40 pounds of gear
      over 80 miles in a tiring but memorable week. Now that my boys have started
      their Scouting trail, I am eager to pick up where I left off, and am enjoying
      discovering the benefits that 20 years of technology has brought to camping
      gear. I am especially interested in the techniques and benefits of ultra-light
      hiking, and will be experimenting with it in future trips and reviews.

    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2005
        Hello Steve and welcome to BGT.

        Thanks for posting your Owner Review, however, after a quick review
        it is apparent you have not had enough time with this piece of gear
        to meet our Owner Review requirements. Please take a careful look at
        the documents at
        and
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/requirements.php> [Chapter 3] before
        submitting another OR. It may also be helpful to go to our webpage
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org and read through a few recent Owner
        Reviews so you can get a feel for the format we use.

        In the meantime if you feel like you would like some assistance with
        this process, we do have a mentor program. If you are interested,
        just let me know and we'll get you squared away.

        Again welcome to the group.

        Jamie DeBenedetto
        Edit Administration Officer