Re: APPROVAL-Lowa Klondike-Kevin

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2005
      Got it Ted. Just making sure everything was on track.

      jamie d

      <erd@w...> wrote:
      > Hi Jamie,
      >
      > That's becasue it was a confusing sequence. <g> On the 14th, Kevin
      had
      > permission to upload to test folder, preparatory to an OK. As he
      told
      > you on the 25th, he was having problems uploading; at this point he
      > contacted Upload Help where I occasionally help out.
      >
      > I suggested a couple of things which didn't work, whereupon he
      > uploaded his html file to me as an attachment to look at. It was a
      > horrible, horrible piece of MS Office HTML export that was majorly
      > screwed up (Office's fault, not Kevin's). I fixed the code, e-mailed
      > the form back to him, and told him to upload the fixed version to
      > site, as both text and HTML were now acceptable (I also suggested
      that
      > he download an HTML editor asap). So far, he doesn't seem to have
      > uploaded.
      >
      > Ted.
      >

      > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...>
      wrote:
      > > Hi Ted
      > >
      > > I'm a bit confused by this approval. Here's what I have -
      > >
      > > TED - Kevin Mason(1) – [kevinmason@e...] - Lowa Klondike GTX –
      Posted
      > > Mar 20, Taken Mar 23, Edit Mar 23(msg#66086), Repost Mar 28, Edit
      Mar
      > > 28(66120), Repost Apr 11, Edit Apr 14 (66290), Follow up email
      sent
      > > Apr 22,
      > >
      > > I did not see a repost after my follow up email. Was this one of
      > > those that only went to the test folder?
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > jamie d
      > >
      > > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan"
      > > <erd@w...> wrote:
      > > > Kevin,
      > > >
      > > > At your realiest convenience, please upload the repaired file
      for
      > > the
      > > > above to:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Lowa%
      > > 20Klondike%20GTX%20Lo/
      > > >
      > > > or
      > > >
      > > > http://tinyurl.com/876ah
      > > >
      > > > Many thanks for your efforts on this review.
      > > >
      > > > Best,
      > > >

      > > > Ted
      > > >
      > > > BGT OR Editor
    • JEM
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 3:22 AM
        May 1, 2005

        OR: MSR BlackLite Gourmet Cookware Set

        Tester Bio

        Name: John E Musser
        Age: 47
        Gender: Male
        Height: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
        Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
        Email address: jembackpackerATsbcglobal.net
        City, State, Country: Pharr, Texas, USA

        Backpacking Background

        I've been a hiker and cyclist for the past 15 years, usually carrying a
        moderate weight 25 to 40 lbs (11 to 18 kg). I occasionally will carry
        heavier items if I feel the comfort level is worth the weight. I usually
        plan on fairly long days hiking at a rate of 3 miles (4.8 km) per hour. I
        have confined most of my exploits to areas within 600 mi (950 km) to 800 mi
        (1300 km) of home and 1 to 8 days in length.

        Field use

        I use my MSR Blacklight cookset on nearly every trip I take. No matter what
        temperature extremes are expected. I like camp cooking and prefer to take
        time to make a hot meal and sit and enjoy it.

        Product Information

        Component Weights (Actual) 23-1/2 oz (665 g) (MSR)

        Weights and Dimensions

        1. Lid 4 oz. (113 gr) 7-7/8 (200 in)
        2. Pot Clamp 2 oz.(61 gr) 2 in x 5 in (5 cm
        x`13 cm)
        3. Frying Pan 7 oz (198 gr) 7-3/4 in x 1.5 in
        ( 20 cm x 4 cm)
        4. Large Pot 8 oz (227 gr) 7-5/8 in x 3-1/4
        (18 cm x 8 cm)
        5. Small Pot 6 oz (170 gr) 7 in x 2-3/4 (18
        cm x 7 cm)
        6. Stuff Sack 2 oz (61 gr) Nylon mesh stuff
        sack

        The system stores starting with the frying pan with the large pot sitting
        in it. Next I put the small pot. In the small pot I place the pot
        clamp/handle and place the cover on top of it all. Finally I put the whole
        set into the nylon stuff sack.

        Owners Review

        I have had my MSR BlackLite Gourmet Cookware set for about 2 or 3 years,
        soon after MSR added them to their product lineup. I had used an Evernew
        cook set, but had always been unhappy with the cooking/scorching that I had
        tried to become accustomed for several years.

        I most likely will boil 1 liter of water in the 1.5 liter pot for most
        dehydrated meals. For in pot meals I use the 2 liter pot. MSR has managed a
        design that allows a single lid to fit both pots and the 7.2" (18.5 cm).
        The lid has been built to fold down for easy storage. MSR now provides a
        pack towel to use between the pots to minimize wear and tear. I use heavy
        duty shop towels for the same purpose. For cleanup a simple wipeout with
        one of the rags and a small amount of hand sanitizer (emphasis on small)
        and the cookset is ready to use again. I particularly like making pancakes
        in the morning. I mix up the batter in a 1 quart (946 ml) heavy duty
        zip-lock bag and cut off a corner. I make a quick squeeze (learned by
        practice) and make perfect 6" pancakes every time. I also use the cookset
        to pan-fry potatoes and even steaks. My typical diet is usually centered
        around fully field cooked meals on a 2-3 day trip switching to dehydrated
        meals for longer trips. I usually carry 1 or 2 MRE's (Army for Meals Ready
        to Eat) which contain their own heating pouch. Pancakes are a truly a
        trailside comfort food for me and I love to make them even though I have to
        spend a little extra time before hitting the trail. I use MSR's Alpine
        Folding Utensils to flip the pancakes but I will write a separate OR for
        the set in the near future.

        After 2 or 3 years the only wear showing on the non-stick surface is where
        the "panhandler" grips the side of the pots and fry pan. I have not had
        other problems like cupping/warping etc. I find that the MSR Blacklight
        cookset conducts VERY well. It is on occasion difficult to fry pancakes for
        instance. I have found in a real chore to get the heat low enough to cook
        evenly, without scorching I find this item to be the one flimsy aspect of
        the MSR Blacklight cookset. I wish that MSR would at least offer as an
        accessory a more robust pot handle.

        I find the MSR Blacklight cookset to be adequate for 2-3 people which is my
        usual group. All things considered I give the MSR Blacklite Non-Stick Pots
        a hearty thumbs up!

      • JEM

          Message 4 of 7 , May 6 6:43 PM
            Work project did not finish on time.