APPROVAL-Lowa Klondike-Kevin

  • edwardripleyduggan
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2005
      Kevin,

      At your realiest convenience, please upload the repaired file for the
      above to:

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Lowa%20Klondike%20GTX%20Lo/

      or

      http://tinyurl.com/876ah

      Many thanks for your efforts on this review.

      Best,

      Ted

      BGT OR Editor
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 29, 2005
        Hi Ted

        I'm a bit confused by this approval. Here's what I have -

        TED - Kevin Mason(1) – [kevinmason@e...] - Lowa Klondike GTX – Posted
        Mar 20, Taken Mar 23, Edit Mar 23(msg#66086), Repost Mar 28, Edit Mar
        28(66120), Repost Apr 11, Edit Apr 14 (66290), Follow up email sent
        Apr 22,

        I did not see a repost after my follow up email. Was this one of
        those that only went to the test folder?

        Thanks
        jamie d

        <erd@w...> wrote:
        > Kevin,
        >
        > At your realiest convenience, please upload the repaired file for
        the
        > above to:
        >
        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Lowa%
        20Klondike%20GTX%20Lo/

        > or
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/876ah
        >
        > Many thanks for your efforts on this review.
        >
        > Best,
        >

        > Ted
        >
        > BGT OR Editor
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 30, 2005
          Hi Jamie,

          That's becasue it was a confusing sequence. <g> On the 14th, Kevin had
          permission to upload to test folder, preparatory to an OK. As he told
          you on the 25th, he was having problems uploading; at this point he
          contacted Upload Help where I occasionally help out.

          I suggested a couple of things which didn't work, whereupon he
          uploaded his html file to me as an attachment to look at. It was a
          horrible, horrible piece of MS Office HTML export that was majorly
          screwed up (Office's fault, not Kevin's). I fixed the code, e-mailed
          the form back to him, and told him to upload the fixed version to
          site, as both text and HTML were now acceptable (I also suggested that
          he download an HTML editor asap). So far, he doesn't seem to have
          uploaded.

          Ted.

          --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@h...> wrote:
          > Hi Ted
          >
          > I'm a bit confused by this approval. Here's what I have -
          >
          > TED - Kevin Mason(1) – [kevinmason@e...] - Lowa Klondike GTX – Posted
          > Mar 20, Taken Mar 23, Edit Mar 23(msg#66086), Repost Mar 28, Edit Mar
          > 28(66120), Repost Apr 11, Edit Apr 14 (66290), Follow up email sent
          > Apr 22,
          >
          > I did not see a repost after my follow up email. Was this one of
          > those that only went to the test folder?
          >
          > Thanks
          > jamie d
          >
          > --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "edwardripleyduggan"
          > <erd@w...> wrote:
          > > Kevin,
          > >
          > > At your realiest convenience, please upload the repaired file for
          > the
          > > above to:
          > >
          > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Boots/Lowa%
          > 20Klondike%20GTX%20Lo/
          > >
          > > or
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/876ah
          > >
          > > Many thanks for your efforts on this review.
          > >
          > > Best,
          > >

          > > Ted
          > >
          > > BGT OR Editor
        • chcoa
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 30, 2005
            Got it Ted. Just making sure everything was on track.

            jamie d

          • JEM
            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2005
              May 1, 2005

              OR: MSR BlackLite Gourmet Cookware Set

              Tester Bio

              Name: John E Musser
              Age: 47
              Gender: Male
              Height: 6' 0" (1.83 m)
              Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)
              Email address: jembackpackerATsbcglobal.net
              City, State, Country: Pharr, Texas, USA

              Backpacking Background

              I've been a hiker and cyclist for the past 15 years, usually carrying a
              moderate weight 25 to 40 lbs (11 to 18 kg). I occasionally will carry
              heavier items if I feel the comfort level is worth the weight. I usually
              plan on fairly long days hiking at a rate of 3 miles (4.8 km) per hour. I
              have confined most of my exploits to areas within 600 mi (950 km) to 800 mi
              (1300 km) of home and 1 to 8 days in length.

              Field use

              I use my MSR Blacklight cookset on nearly every trip I take. No matter what
              temperature extremes are expected. I like camp cooking and prefer to take
              time to make a hot meal and sit and enjoy it.

              Product Information

              Component Weights (Actual) 23-1/2 oz (665 g) (MSR)

              Weights and Dimensions

              1. Lid 4 oz. (113 gr) 7-7/8 (200 in)
              2. Pot Clamp 2 oz.(61 gr) 2 in x 5 in (5 cm
              x`13 cm)
              3. Frying Pan 7 oz (198 gr) 7-3/4 in x 1.5 in
              ( 20 cm x 4 cm)
              4. Large Pot 8 oz (227 gr) 7-5/8 in x 3-1/4
              (18 cm x 8 cm)
              5. Small Pot 6 oz (170 gr) 7 in x 2-3/4 (18
              cm x 7 cm)
              6. Stuff Sack 2 oz (61 gr) Nylon mesh stuff
              sack

              The system stores starting with the frying pan with the large pot sitting
              in it. Next I put the small pot. In the small pot I place the pot
              clamp/handle and place the cover on top of it all. Finally I put the whole
              set into the nylon stuff sack.

              Owners Review

              I have had my MSR BlackLite Gourmet Cookware set for about 2 or 3 years,
              soon after MSR added them to their product lineup. I had used an Evernew
              cook set, but had always been unhappy with the cooking/scorching that I had
              tried to become accustomed for several years.

              I most likely will boil 1 liter of water in the 1.5 liter pot for most
              dehydrated meals. For in pot meals I use the 2 liter pot. MSR has managed a
              design that allows a single lid to fit both pots and the 7.2" (18.5 cm).
              The lid has been built to fold down for easy storage. MSR now provides a
              pack towel to use between the pots to minimize wear and tear. I use heavy
              duty shop towels for the same purpose. For cleanup a simple wipeout with
              one of the rags and a small amount of hand sanitizer (emphasis on small)
              and the cookset is ready to use again. I particularly like making pancakes
              in the morning. I mix up the batter in a 1 quart (946 ml) heavy duty
              zip-lock bag and cut off a corner. I make a quick squeeze (learned by
              practice) and make perfect 6" pancakes every time. I also use the cookset
              to pan-fry potatoes and even steaks. My typical diet is usually centered
              around fully field cooked meals on a 2-3 day trip switching to dehydrated
              meals for longer trips. I usually carry 1 or 2 MRE's (Army for Meals Ready
              to Eat) which contain their own heating pouch. Pancakes are a truly a
              trailside comfort food for me and I love to make them even though I have to
              spend a little extra time before hitting the trail. I use MSR's Alpine
              Folding Utensils to flip the pancakes but I will write a separate OR for
              the set in the near future.

              After 2 or 3 years the only wear showing on the non-stick surface is where
              the "panhandler" grips the side of the pots and fry pan. I have not had
              other problems like cupping/warping etc. I find that the MSR Blacklight
              cookset conducts VERY well. It is on occasion difficult to fry pancakes for
              instance. I have found in a real chore to get the heat low enough to cook
              evenly, without scorching I find this item to be the one flimsy aspect of
              the MSR Blacklight cookset. I wish that MSR would at least offer as an
              accessory a more robust pot handle.

              I find the MSR Blacklight cookset to be adequate for 2-3 people which is my
              usual group. All things considered I give the MSR Blacklite Non-Stick Pots
              a hearty thumbs up!

            • JEM

                Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2005
                  Work project did not finish on time.