REPOST: Owner Review: Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Tech Jacket

  • Ronin92122
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2005
      Emma Eyeball, Sorry this took so long

      -Carl

      Owner Review: Mountain Hardwear Windstopper Tech Jacket

      Reviewer Bio

      Name: Carl Maeda
      Age: 30
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5'9" (1.75 m)
      Weight: 160 Pounds (73 kg)
      Email address: carl@...
      City, State, Country: San Diego, California, USA
      Date: February 17, 2005
      Backpacking Background: I started backpacking in 2004 but I've been
      hiking on a pretty regular basis since 1993. I usually hike and
      backpack in Southern California, mostly in L.A. or San Diego but I
      have been further North to Yosemite and Sequoia. I have also been
      around other random spots as well such as Red Rock Canyon in Nevada.
      I try to be a lightweight backpacker but I carry whatever I can
      afford to buy. I prefer a tent and a lot of my gear, especially my
      clothing, is homemade by my wife, who is a costume designer.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Mountain Hardwear
      Year: 2004
      Manufacturer's Listed Weight: 1 lb 5 oz (595 g)
      Actual Weight: 1 lb 5.7oz (615 g)
      MSRP: $185.00
      Jacket Fabrics According to the Manfacturer:
      Face Fabric: Windstopper Microfleece
      Laminate: Windstopper
      Lining Fabric: Polyester Tricot Knit
      Product Description: The Mountain Hardwear Tech Jacket didn't have
      any packaging or hang tag and only a price tag.
      It has a long line of features including articulated sleeves, pit
      zips, interior, chest and 2 "high" hand pockets, hem drawcord, and
      PowerStretch cuffs. The jacket is also windproof and highly
      breathable.
      The pockets are well placed and easy to use.
      The 2 "high" hand pockets are put in higher than other jackets to
      allow access when wearing a hipbelt or other harness.
      The polyester tricot knit lining is intended to pull moisture away
      from the body to keep the user dry. The lining is smooth and
      therefore much easier to put on and take off when compared to other
      fleece jackets.
      The outside of the jacket feels like fleece with smooth taslan
      polyester black patches on high wear areas (forearms and shoulders).

      Field Information
      Locations: Mostly San Diego and Los Angeles County
      Description of location: Mountains/Forest (Mission Trails County Park
      in Santee, California, USA at about 50 ft elevation (15 m), William
      Heise County Park, California, USA area at around 6500 ft elevation
      (2000 m) and Cedar Creek, California, USA at around 7000 ft elevation
      (2100 m). I also wear this jacket on a day-to-day basis when it gets
      cold.
      Weather Conditions: Temperatures ranged from 30 F (-1 C) to about 70
      F (21 C), in light, torrential and no rain.

      Field Experience:
      I have only had the jacket a few months but it has quickly become my
      favorite jacket of all time. The jacket seems comfortable in a wide
      range of temperatures although at about 60 F (15 C), it was a bit too
      warm if I was active in any way. I have only tested the jacket down
      to 30 F (-1 C) and it was warm enough for me. I was amazed at how
      thin the jacket seems, yet it is very warm. I have to say here that
      my wife thinks I am impervious to cold because I'll be wearing short
      sleeves while she's wearing a snow jacket (She grew up in the
      desert). I had to keep the pit zips open most of the time when I was
      hiking. When I rested, I simply zipped up the jacket and I was kept
      warm. I wasn't wearing anything significant under the jacket. Most
      of the time, I was wearing a wicking shirt.
      The pit zips are really handy and work well. I can find the zipper
      pulls without looking, mainly because they have a loop of rope around
      the pulls. The pit zips are nice and long and allow plenty of
      ventilation. Because the jacket is so warm, I had to open the pit
      zips part way when I'm on the move even in cold weather.
      The jacket was easy to take off. Because men's shirts aren't as form-
      fitting as women's shirts, all fleece jackets (I own three others) I
      have owned stick to my sleeves when I wear long sleeve shirts. Not
      so with this jacket, the tricot polyester lining is smooth and allow
      my sleeves to pass through without sticking.
      This jacket keeps me comfortable in all ranges of temperatures
      although when it started raining and I had to put on a shell, I was
      overheating. I had to stop and remove the jacket while the rain was
      pouring down on me. But this may have something to do with my Sierra
      Designs Peak Bagger shell, which is supposed to be waterproof and
      breathable. These things are hard to tell.
      The hand pockets kept my hands warm. Unlike many fleeces, the
      pockets aren't just made of the same material as the lining, it is
      made of fleece. Things like this tell me that Mountain Hardwear
      didn't cut any corners.
      The hem drawcord works well to keep in the warmth when I'm sitting
      still. I usually have it open most of the time when I'm on the move
      to allow better ventilation. It can be adjusted one handed simply by
      pulling the ring attached to the drawcord to tighten it and pushing
      the cordlock button to loosen it.
      The jacket seems to breathe well, at least as well as any other 200
      weight fleece jacket I have owned. I haven't had any problems with
      getting soaked from perspiration.
      When I cinch down the hem cord and have everything zipped up, the
      jacket seems completely windproof. I haven't been in a hurricane or
      anything but I have been in some pretty windy conditions. I have
      also worn some jackets without Windbloc that seem warm but when
      subjected to wind, have performed poorly and kept me cold.
      I wear this jacket around town and in cool weather. It's wonderful.
      After having owned this jacket, I'm a Mountain Hardwear fan for life.

      Summary
      A top notch jacket. It looks good and keeps me warm.

      Pros:
      Fairly light
      Very warm
      Long pit zips
      Hem drawcord is easy to operate
      Hand pockets keep my hands warm.
      Comfortable at least between 30 F (-1 C) to 60 F (15 C), 70 F
      (21 C) when resting
      Windproof
      Easy to take off
      Looks Good

      Cons:
      Pricey
    • Emma Eyeball
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2005
        Hi Carl,

        nice repost. i only have a few simple edits. once you have
        incorporated the edits, please upload your OR to the Test Folder on
        the BGT site and post a notice here on the list. i will then look
        over your uploaded report and hopefully be abe to approve it for
        upload to the main site. if you have any technical problems with
        your html or uploading, go to the BGTfileuploadhelp group. thanks
        for all your hard work.

        here we go...

        > afford to buy. I prefer a tent and a lot of my gear, especially my
        > clothing, is homemade by my wife, who is a costume designer.

        EDIT: "I prefer a tent, and a lot of my gear (especially my clothing)
        is homemade..."

        > Product Description: The Mountain Hardwear Tech Jacket didn't have
        > any packaging or hang tag and only a price tag.

        EDIT: "any packaging or hang tag, only a price tag."

        > The pit zips are really handy and work well. I can find the zipper
        > pulls without looking, mainly because they have a loop of rope
        around the pulls.

        EDIT: use "cord" instead of "rope." when i think of rope, i think of
        something thick and heavy, for climbing or restraining.

        > ventilation. Because the jacket is so warm, I had to open the pit
        > zips part way when I'm on the move even in cold weather.

        EDIT: "Because the jacket is so warm, I have to open the pit zips
        part way when I'm on the move, even in cold weather."

        > The jacket was easy to take off.

        EDIT: "The jacket is easy to take off." when you use the past tense,
        you imply that something has changed - that perhaps it's no longer
        easy to take off.

        > Not
        > so with this jacket, the tricot polyester lining is smooth and
        allow my sleeves to pass through without sticking.

        EDIT: "Not so with this jacket. The tricot polyester lining is
        smooth and allows my sleeves..."

        > This jacket keeps me comfortable in all ranges of temperatures
        > although when it started raining and I had to put on a shell, I was
        > overheating.

        EDIT: "...keeps me comfortable in a wide range of temperatures..." i
        doubt it would keep you comfortable at 110 degrees. ;)

        > The hand pockets kept my hands warm.

        EDIT: "keep" not "kept." again, you're unintentionally implying that
        perhaps they no longer keep your hands warm.

        Unlike many fleeces, the
        > pockets aren't just made of the same material as the lining, it is
        > made of fleece.

        EDIT: "...the same material as the lining - they are made of fleece."

        > The jacket seems to breathe well, at least as well as any other 200
        > weight fleece jacket I have owned.

        EDIT: "200-weight."

        > I have
        > also worn some jackets without Windbloc that seem warm but when
        > subjected to wind, have performed poorly and kept me cold.

        EDIT: "...that seem warm, but when subjected to wind have performed
        poorly..."