Red Ledge Thunderlight Report 3

  • estcin
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2001
      Name: Ed St.Cin
      Height: 5'8"
      Weight: 235 lbs.
      Age: 58 yrs
      Home Base: Seattle, WA

      Product: Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka
      and Thunderlight Full Zip Pants

      Report 3
      I have been using Thunderlight parka and pants as everyday outerwear.
      In rain or wind I have used them over a fleece vest or jacket when it
      is cold.
      The Thunderlight parka and pants are holding up well. The seam tape
      shows no sign of coming loose.
      The fabric definitely breathes. I have had times when I felt damp
      with sweat. However, I have been drier in this garment than any other
      breathable garment I have tried.
      The Thunderlight Full Zip Pants are everything a person could want in
      a rain/wind pant. They are very packable. They fit into a back pocket
      or optionally a mesh stuff sack, which can be clipped to the top of a
      pack. Upon leaving heavy timber and reaching any exposed situation,
      the pants can be quickly put on to protect the user from the wet
      and/or chill.
      The fabric feels fragile. Although it has not snagged, and, it has
      survived two playful 60 lbs. Irish Setters jumping up to greet me. I
      do not believe it would survive glissading down from Mt Rainier's
      Camp Mur. However, this pant and parka combination can be bought for
      around $80. My REI Gore-Tex bibs sold for three times that amount and
      the ice glissading down from Mur shredded them also.
      I have had the zippers catch on loose fabric a few times but they
      were easy to free by reversing the direction of pull on the zipper,
      then holding the fabric clear. Perhaps a small point, but a handy
      one. When I wear the pants over anything with side pockets [hiking
      shorts, fleece pants] I am able to leave the side zips open a few
      inches to reach the inner pockets. When left partly open the zippers
      always stay where I leave them. Hiking, biking, shopping, walking the
      dog when I need to reach keys, money, whatever I am able to easily
      reach what is in my inner pockets, something that was not possible
      with my REI bibs.
      The parka is very roomy. Even over fleece layers movement was easy
      and unrestricted. The parka also stuffs into a small bundle, making
      it easy to stow in or on a pack where it can be accessed anytime rain
      or wind is a problem.
      The parka hood has no visor. As a wearer of corrective lenses, I need
      something to keep the rain off my glasses. I have found wearing a
      baseball cap or tennis visor under the hood solves the problem.
      These are wonderful garments. I have no reservations recommending the
      Red Ledge Thunderlight Parka and Thunderlight Full Zip Pants to
      anyone in need of technical outerwear.