Primalliner 3rd Report

  • Thomas Vickers
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2001
      Mummer PrimalLiner Series Report 3
      Primalliner by Integral Designs
      Tester: Thomas Vickers
      Male
      34 years old
      5' 11''
      165 lbs.

      The weather in Texas has not cooperated with my tests, but I have gotten to
      spend 4 nights in the Primalliner. What I really wanted was some nice
      temperatures in the mid to high 20's, but nature was not willing.

      Needless to say, the primalliner has proven itself to be an interesting
      piece of gear. Some of my earlier worries did not pan out, but other
      problems did become apparent with use.

      My first experiment was packing the bag. My first attempt was to stuff the
      primalliner and my bag (Peak 1 Quetico) into a Granite Gear Compression
      Stuff Sack, size small. I might have made it, but I wasn't willing to fight
      that hard. I finally got both into a Medium sized Granite Gear Compression
      Sack with no problem. The liner will fit nicely in a small sack by itself.
      So off I went, pack stuffed for a few nights of out door sleeping in the
      Piney Woods of South East Texas.

      The first 3 nights I used the primalliner outside, the temperatures ranged
      from 65 degrees F to 55 degrees F. The temperatures outside my Eureka
      Gossamer were probably lower, due to wind, but things were very comfortable.
      I was able to sleep in the liner with my arms outside of the bag with no
      problem. In fact, it was very comfortable to use this way.
      I could get the zipper closed and arrange myself very easily with my arms
      exposed. The problems I encountered with the leg area being tight were not
      apparent when I really got down to sleeping.
      The outside lining (1.1 oz parachute nylon) proved to be much less slippery
      than the outside of my sleeping bag. I did not slip and slide on my Ridge
      Rest Deluxe pad like I do when I use my Peak 1 Quetico Bag.

      As a stand-alone bag, the primalliner worked very well in the mid 50's to 60
      's. I spent three nights in varying conditions, most were fairly humid, and
      all were in a tent.

      My last night out was Christmas Eve. I was staying at my future In-laws
      house and heard that the evening temperatures were going to drop into the
      low 30's, maybe even the 20's. So, out came the tent, sleeping pad,
      sleeping bag and primalliner.
      The first couple of hours were spent sleeping the way I had the other 3
      nights. I used the sleeping bag as a pillow and slept with my arms out of
      the primalliner. As the temperature dropped to about 45 degrees F (kind of
      hard to read the thermometer in the middle of the night) I had to curl up
      inside the primalliner and keep my arms inside. This is when I had my
      difficulties. It was very hard to get completely inside the liner, zip it
      closed and get comfortable. The chest area was too tight to sleep well with
      my arms inside the liner. This wasn't a problem for long, because sometime
      around 2 a.m. the temps had dropped to about 37 degrees F. I was too cold in
      just the primalliner, so I kept the liner on, and slid into my sleeping bag.
      This allowed me to keep my arms outside of the liner, but inside of the bag.
      I was very comfortable until I was rousted Christmas morning by my fiance
      and her mother. Sometime during the night the temperature dropped to about
      34 degrees F, but I slept comfortably in the liner and my bag. I probably
      didn't need the liner (bag is rated to 32 degrees F), but I did not overheat
      either. The night was rather comfortable, despite very high winds and the
      low Texas Temperatures.

      My main problems with the primalliner at this point are the tight confines
      in the chest area. If you want to seal yourself inside of the liner, it is
      quite a task to crawl in, zip up, and stay comfortable. I am not the
      largest person, so I can only imagine how someone bigger would feel inside
      the liner.
      My other concern is the lack of a full-length zipper. While this saves
      weight, this bag might be too warm when used alone in temperatures above
      65-70 degrees F.

      What I am now looking forward to is a prolonged test of the liner. I am off
      to the Buffalo River in Arkansas for 5 days in March. The liner is going
      along, possibly as my only bag. I have a plan stuff it in a 2 gallon zip
      lock bag and use it in the back of my Golite Breeze. Not sure if this will
      work, but this trip is going to be a test of the Breeze, the primalliner and
      some other light weight gear.

      Overall, the Primalliner gets another good rating. It is well made, easy to
      handle in a small tent, and keeps me plenty warm. I would prefer to see a
      roomier cut and a longer zipper, but that may just be me dreaming of the
      'perfect' piece of gear.

      Thomas Vickers