FW: [BackpackGearTest] REPOST 'OWNER REVIEW - Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner" - Ralph Ditton

  • Ralph Ditton
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005
      Hello Steve,

      Thank you for taking up my OR and putting a polish on it.

      With regards to the ¼ (it has done it again), the machine alters it
      automatically, so I will embellish the truth and tell a Porky Pie to get
      around it. The distance will be a bit less, so who is counting.

      I do not think my computer cam replicate the trademark, R inside a circle.
      Is there a trick to this? Do not worry about this, the machine did it on its
      own when I tried to copy Roger’s printing.

      The spelling of “Pantihose” is the Australian way according to my Collins
      Concise Dictionary and the War Office (Wife). Apparently, the New
      Zealanders, Canadians and Americans spell it with a “y” in lieu of “i” as
      pointed out by my Dictionary mentioned above. If you agree, I will leave it
      as it is.

      Regards

      Ralph.

      .

      _____

      Date : 25th March, 2005.

      Backpacking Background :

      Apart from my Air Force Cadet days, age from 13 to 17, where we camped out
      in the bush, I only took up backpacking seriously some four years ago.

      I have been walking the Bibbulmun Track in sections, some sections more than
      once, and usually in the opposite direction, and my goal is to complete the
      964 km (603 mi) and become an End to End walker. So far I have completed
      approximately 2/3 of the Track from North to South, and 2/9 South to
      North.

      I have evolved from a very heavyweight (averaging 28 kg [61.5 lb])
      backpacker to a midweight backpacker, averaging on the first day out, 18 kg
      (38 lb) and I am aiming to go lower, funds permitting to purchase more
      lightweight gear. Food and water are included in the weights.
      My trips are usually between 3 to 5 days duration.

      Product Information

      Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner

      Manufacturer : Sea to Summit

      Year of Manufacture : 2003

      Year of Purchase : 2003

      Made in : China

      Website : www.seatosummit.com.au <http://www.seatosummit.com.au/>

      Listed Weight : 230 gm (8.1 oz)

      Total Weight : 250 gm (8.8 oz) including stuff sack

      Packed Length : 15.5 cm (6 ¼”)

      Circumference : 31 cm (12 ¼”)

      Rolled Out Length : 210 cm (6' 10 11/16")

      Width at Shoulders : 90 cm (2' 11 7/16)

      Width at Feet : 23 cm (9”)

      Fabric : Thermolite ® by Dupont

      Colour : Black

      MSRP : AUS$79

      Product Description

      The Sleeping Bag Liner is of a mummy design with a box foot construction and
      hood.

      Thermolite is a soft, stretchy fabric, which is supposedly odour resistant.
      The fibers are hollow-core to trap insulating air, thereby maximizing body
      heat and wicking moisture to the outside of the fabric.

      Construction of the Liner is by way of an overlocking stitch down both long
      sides and around the box foot.

      The Liner is unable to be opened down any side.

      A drawstring is enclosed in a sleeve that goes around the circumference of
      the hood and across the chest/shoulder level.

      Locking the drawstring into place is a spring-loaded toggle. I am able to
      operate the drawstring whilst inside the Liner.

      I estimate warmth is increased by up to 8 C (15 F) depending on individual
      metabolism,
      and when the individual last ate before going to sleep.

      The manufacturer also makes a similar claim on its packaging (Increases
      warmth by up to 8 C (15 F),without any qualification.

      The material is fast drying and machine washable.

      The appearance of the Liner is one of an oversized pantihose, not silk nor
      nylon, but of that other material that elderly ladies wear on their legs.

      Field Information:
      Locations for testing

      Pool to Northcliffe on the Bibbulmun Track in the South West of Western Dog
      Australia. April 2004

      4 nights and 5 days

      Night time lows 8 C to 10 C (46 F to 50 F) Day time high 32 C (90 F)

      I used the Liner every night in conjunction with my Supermini Sleeping Bag
      made by The Great Outdoors in New Zealand, which has 150 gm (5 oz) of White
      Goosedown 90/10 fill which is rated +2 C to + 7 C (35 F to 45 F). The weight
      of the Sleeping Bag is .71 Kg (1.56 lb) with a packed volume of 1.9 L (116
      Cu in) and a packed size of 29 x 19 cm (9.06 x 4.72 in). I found that I was
      very comfortable in the combination with no cold spots apparent.

      I slept in thermal top and pants.

      I have used the Sleeping Bag without the Liner at these temperatures and
      have still been comfortable , however, I primarily use the Liner as
      protection for my Sleeping Bag as I do not want to wash a Down Bag and risk
      damage to the feathers.

      Swamp Oak to Murray on the Bibbulmun Track in the South West of Western
      Australia. July 2004

      1 night 2 days

      Night time low 2 C (36 F) Day time high 26 C (79 F) Wet most of the time.

      Although the night time temperature was lower, I still wore the same type of
      thermal, slept in the same Supermini Sleeping Bag and added a Beanie for my
      head to stop loss of heat from my head.
      I was comfortable and enjoyed a good night’s sleep.

      Brookton to Mundaring on the Bibbulmun Track south of Perth in Western
      Australia. August 2004

      4 nights 5 days

      Night Time low -5 C (23 F) Day time high 23 C (73 F)

      Average Night time low -2 C (28 F)

      This trip was very cold at night with heavy mist on one night which the
      torch beam could only penetrate an estimated 10 m (11 yd).

      Using the Liner and same Sleeping Bag I also dressed in thermal top, thermal
      pants, track suit, socks and beanie. Overall I was comfortable, but if I
      wriggled around some of the body heat appeared to vanish and my system had
      to generate heat to make up for the loss. Motto: do not wriggle in bed. In
      the early hours just before sunrise, cold spots were apparent on my knees
      and back at waist level as these two spots were in contact with the inside
      edges of the sleeping bag and the fill was scarce at those locations, a zip
      down one side and a seam down the other. But I was not driven out of the bag
      and liner like my mate , who only had a light-weight Sleeping Bag, and had
      to sit by the fire to keep warm.

      The Liner is smaller than the Sleeping Bag, so it does allow me to wriggle
      around inside the Sleeping Bag. It is like wearing a loose fitting stocking
      inside the Sleeping Bag.

      Other Aspects :

      Whilst in camp of an afternoon when the air was cool, I would hop into the
      Liner only and have a read and then a rest, and be perfectly comfortable
      temperature wise.

      The estimated afternoon average temperature would have been around 16 C (61
      F).

      At home, I will often bring out the self inflating mattress and the
      Thermolite Liner and have an afternoon sleep on the lounge room floor. The
      Liner keeps the air-conditioning breeze off me so I don’t get a chill whilst
      asleep, or wake up cold.

      In the Summer months it is possible to use the Thermolite Liner only at
      night and do away with the Sleeping Bag. I have done it once recently on an
      overnight trip, when the night temperature was around 17 C (63 F).

      As there are no side openings on the Liner,I find it easier to
      thread myself into the Liner feet first, and when I want to get out at night
      for a nature call, I find it easier to get out of the Sleeping Bag but
      still inside the Liner, then peel the Liner off me, leaving it on top of the
      Sleeping Bag.

      Upon my return, find the entrance, slip my feet into it and pull it up into
      place, then insert myself into the Sleeping Bag.

      I tried getting into and out of the Liner whilst it was inside the Sleeping
      Bag and all I achieved was a tangle. In addition, I lost a lot of residue
      heat from
      the Sleeping Bag trying to wriggle into the Liner and untangle it, so it
      took a lot longer to get warm again.

      Odour Resistance :

      The Liner packaging states that it is supposed to be Odour Resistant,
      however, I found that campfire smoke seems to cling to it, not strongly, but
      it is there.

      Washing the Liner :

      It is machine washable and it has stood up to my tender washing machine
      operations on it. The colour did not run.

      I hang it under the verandah out of direct sunlight, and in air temperatures
      of around 28 C (82.5 F). It takes around an hour and a half to dry
      completely.

      Packing the Liner :

      The fabric is very soft and rolls up easily. The provided stuff sack accepts
      the Liner with ease. I do not have to force it into the sack or fold it in a
      one and only specific way to make it fit. On occasions, I have just stuffed
      it directly into the stuff sack.

      No wear is visible, but I do have to be careful and make sure that my
      toenails have no jagged edges to catch on the material and create a ladder.
      I find wearing socks gets around that potential problem.

      Features I like about the Thermolite Liner :

      Small and compact. Ideal for inclusion in backpack.

      Lightweight

      Increases the overall temperature of my Sleeping Bag. The manufacturer
      states it is up to 8 C (15 F). I would agree that is it about right.

      Can take the place of a Sleeping Bag in Summer.

      Features I dislike about the Thermolite Liner:

      The way it easily tangles when getting out of it, and then trying to get
      back in, in the dark.

      Campfire smoke does cling to the fabric.

      Could be a little larger at the Box Foot.

      The combination of my Supermini Sleeping Bag and Thermolite Reactor Sleeping
      Bag Liner allows me the luxury of having good nights sleeps without carrying
      larger filled Sleeping Bags and taking up more space in my Backpack.

      For colder climates, I would use a higher rating Sleeping Bag, but at
      present , I am only backpacking the Bibbulmun and what I have is sufficient.

      In addition, it is an excellent warm weather sleeping bag on its own,
      thereby eliminating the need to carry a Sleeping Bag on warm night trips.

      Overall, I am extremely pleased with the Liner and have recommended it to my
      walking friends.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129oks5nh/M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=gr
      oups/S=1705066005:HM/EXP=1111883354/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http:/www.n
      etflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075> click here

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.6191685.7192823.3001176/D=groups/S=
      :HM/A=2593423/rand=867154351>

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2, 2005
        Roger -

        Thanks for your quick response to the edits. I'm approving your review
        (with a few minor edits noted below) - congratulations!

        > With regards to the ¼ (it has done it again), the machine alters it
        > automatically, so I will embellish the truth and tell a Porky Pie to
        > get
        > around it. The distance will be a bit less, so who is counting.

        If you like, you can copy and paste it from here: 1/4.

        > I do not think my computer cam replicate the trademark, R inside a
        > circle.
        > Is there a trick to this? Do not worry about this, the machine did it
        > on its
        > own when I tried to copy Roger’s printing.

        What you did is fine, though there is no need for a space between
        "Thermolite" and the registered trademark symbol.

        > The spelling of “Pantihose” is the Australian way according to my
        > Collins
        > Concise Dictionary and the War Office (Wife). Apparently, the New
        > Zealanders, Canadians and Americans spell it with a “y” in lieu of “i”
        > as
        > pointed out by my Dictionary mentioned above. If you agree, I will
        > leave it
        > as it is.

        Sounds fine to me.

        Once you've made the final edits noted below, you are approved to post
        your review to the Backpackgeartest site.

        I recommend starting by posting it to the Test area of the site -
        you'll see that when you log in to backpackgeartest.org at the very end
        of the list of categories for reviews, or you can click this link:

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test

        If you have been using Microsoft Word to create your report, you may
        notice some anomalies in the HTML (a text editor, or a dedicated HTML
        editor, are generally a better bet). If you have trouble with or
        questions about posting, I will refer you to the mentor program (ask
        for a mentor on the main group), as well as encourage you to ask
        questions at our companion Yahoo! support group at:

        Once everything is ready to go, you will find the page where you can
        upload your final HTML report on BGT at:

        Reviews > Sleep Gear > Summer Bags and Liners > Sea to Summit
        Thermolite Reactor Liner

        Log in to BGT, then navigate that that folder. Click "Upload Report,"
        be sure to select the "Owner Review" button, and follow the
        instructions to upload your HTML file.

        Good job on this - thanks for making my work easy.

        Regards,
        Steve
        BGT Edit Moderator

        [FINAL EDITS FOLLOW:]

        ***EDIT: Add a title to the top of your review - e.g. "Owner Review -
        Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner"

        The manufacturer also makes a similar claim on its packaging (Increases
        warmth by up to 8 C (15 F),without any qualification.
        ***EDIT: be sure there's a space between the comma and "without" (this
        and the next edit may simply be a result of Yahoo's shenanigans, but
        check it out)

        As there are no side openings on the Liner,I find it easier to
        thread myself into the Liner feet first, and when I want to get out at
        night
        for a nature call, I find it easier to get out of the Sleeping Bag but
        still inside the Liner, then peel the Liner off me, leaving it on top
        of the
        Sleeping Bag.
        ***EDIT: be sure there's a space between "Liner," and "I"

        [END OF EDITS]
      • Ralph Ditton
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
          Steve,
          I have done the final edits that you recommended, however, I am having
          trouble in trying to post the report to the Test Site.

          Could you kindly put me on a Mentor Programme to overcome my appalling lack
          of computer skills so that I can get the report posted.

          Thanks Steve.

          Regards
          Ralph.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
            Hi Ralph -

            No worries - we can get you a mentor to help out, but you're also
            welcome to eMail me off list...and I also suggest visiting this forum:

            ...to ask questions about the upload process.

            If you let me know offline in direct eMail what problems you're having,
            I can help steer you in the right direction.

            Regards,
            Steve