REPOST Moonstone 800 Lucid

  • will jeffries
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hey Ted, sorry it took so long. I was on spring break
      and the mountains don't have internet access
      (thankfully!). I am doing a review for the 2004 model
      of the Lucid so all of the stuff on the website is
      incorrect. They just changed their website a couple
      of weeks ago. The added four ounces probably has
      something to do with the increased length because the
      2004 model is shorter than almost all regular length
      bags on the market. I did double check the info that
      came with the bag and my Backpacker gear guide and my
      specs are correct. By the way, the lining on the 2004
      model is white which does piss me off, i would much
      rather have a black bag. I probably did miss at least
      one thing that you suggest so i'll say sorry in
      advance. Thanks for all your time and help!

      OWNER REVIEW: Moonstone 800 Lucid Sleeping Bag
      Review Date: March 16 2005

      Reviewer Information
      Name: Will Jeffries
      Age: 18
      Gender: Male
      Height: 5' 6" (1.68 meters)
      Weight: 135 lbs (61 kg)
      City: Charleston
      State: South Carolina
      Country: USA
      E-mail: willjeffs@...

      Reviewer Biography: I have been and avid backpacker
      for over 8 years and also have interests in mountain
      biking, rock climbing, and kayaking. Living in South
      Carolina, my hikes often center around sweltering heat
      and high humidity. The majority of my hiking
      experiences have taken place on the Appalachian Trail
      in northern Georgia and western North Carolina. I
      also hike in the Pisgah National Forest of North
      Carolina and the Mountain Bridge Wilderness of South
      Carolina. I prefer to travel as light as possible,
      but I am guilty of hauling the kitchen sink on shorter
      weekend trips in the flatlands of South Carolina.
      Most of my trips range from 3 to 4 days of about 16
      miles per day. I enjoy sleeping late and going to bed
      early and a nap at lunch is always time well spent.
      My food is always light and cheap which means I only
      need to carry one pot and one spork. I also have
      experience hiking in the Grand Canyon and paddling in
      northern Maine on an 8 day canoe trip.

      Product information

      a. Manufacturer: Moonstone
      b. Year of manufacture: 2004
      c. URL: http://www.moonstone.com
      d. Listed weight: 1lb 12oz (795 g)
      e. Weight as delivered: 1lb 13oz (822 g)
      f. Bag length: regular 5� 9� (1.75 m)
      g. Stuff size: 7.5� x 8� (19cm x 20cm)
      h. Outside fabric: 30D Pertex� X-Ray 1.1
      i. Inside fabric: nylon taffeta
      j. MSRP: $260 USD
      k. Description: 20 degree F (-7 C) mummy sleeping bag.

      Field Information
      I used the Moonstone sleeping bag in a variety of
      climates. I used the bag for a couple of winter trips
      in the cold and humid mountains of western North
      Carolina. On my winter trips I have used the sleeping
      bag inside a shelter, inside a tent, and under the
      stars. All of the winter trips got below 30 degrees F
      (-1 C) at night with two nights under 25 degrees F (-4
      C). I also used the bag for a two week canoe trip in
      northern Maine with nighttime lows ranging around 55
      degrees F (13 C). This bag has even endured the
      sweltering heat of coastal South Carolina.

      After years of lugging around my ancient, 4 lb (1.8
      kg), 20 degree F (-7 C) mummy bag, I decided that it
      was finally time to fork out some money and upgrade my
      sleeping bag. That�s when my search for my perfect
      3-season bag began, and I believe I found that bag in
      the Moonstone 800 Lucid.

      The 800 Lucid weighs in at a mere 1lb 12 oz (795 g)
      and stuffs small thanks to the 800+ fill power goose
      down. During my research I found that the Lucid
      provided the least weight for the lowest cost, which
      was a requirement with my budget. The Lucid only
      weighed 2 or 3 ounces (55 or 85 grams) more than bags
      that cost over $100 (USD) more, so I saved my money
      and bought the Moonstone 800 Lucid. The bag is so
      light that I actually thought the box was empty when I
      picked it up off my doorstep. I had also had a hard
      time believing that the big bag would fit into the
      tiny stuff sack until I actually stuffed it. The bag
      was not hard to stuff into the stuff sack and came
      with a large bag for long term storage. The stuff sack
      is a simple, lightweight bag with one drawcord.

      I have used this bag in climates ranging from a winter
      hike in the Pisgah National Forest of North Carolina
      to an early spring camping trip in the lowcountry of
      South Carolina. A rare feature in many ultralight
      bags, the Lucid comes with a full-length, two-way
      zipper that served me well in the humid lowcountry.
      When the temperatures dropped below 25 F (-4 C) on my
      last winter hike, I was nice and toasty inside my
      Moonstone. I stayed warm all night wearing only
      boxers and a polypro top, even though I was sleeping
      under the stars and I didn�t even use the hood. The
      bag sheds the morning dew with ease thanks to the DWR
      finish on the lightweight Pertex nylon. This Pertex
      nylon is known as X-ray because the down can be seen
      through the fabric. This fabric is very light weight
      which makes me suspicious of its durability. I have
      found that the fabric handles regular beating such as
      fluffing and stuffing, and performs fine as long as
      you sleep on a ground cloth or pad. The seams have
      proved to be very strong and durable. This bag sports
      all the features of a performance sleeping bag,
      including a full length zipper, ground level side
      seams, variable fill levels, and a contoured hood.
      The side seams in the Lucid are at ground level, which
      helps the bag fit over your body better and retain
      heat more efficiently. The variable fill levels means
      that there is more down in the baffles at your chest
      and feet and less in areas like your hips that don�t
      get cold as easily. This feature helps reduce weight
      and stuff size significantly. The contoured hood fits
      very well and has a draw cord over the top and bottom
      of the opening. The draw cords are easy to use in the
      dark and easy to keep out of your face while you
      sleep. The full length zipper was an excellent
      feature for the mild temperatures of my canoe trip in
      northern Maine. The full length zipper provided
      excellent air flow and ventilation, but still kept out
      the cold on my winter trip with its beefy draft tube
      that runs the entire length of the zipper. The small
      stuff size of the Lucid allowed it to easily fit
      inside my small dry bags. Moonstone�s advanced
      technology in the variable fill levels and ultralight
      fabrics help keep this bag light, and the 800+ fill
      enables the bag to stuff to a small size. The regular
      length for this bag is a bit shorter than most. The
      bag is supposed to fit people up to 5�9� (1.75 m), but
      if you are 5�9� it will be a tight fit. This bag
      provides the perfect amount of extra room (2-3 inches)
      for my 5�6� (1.68 m) frame. This also helps eliminate
      cold spots in my bag that I used to experience with my
      long length sleeping bag that had lots of extra room.
      This length is perfect for guys like myself that are a
      little shorter than most, and would even fit most
      women quite well. Overall, the Moonstone 800 Lucid is
      a high-performance mummy bag that exceeds expectations
      at a reasonable price.

      Likes: Light weight
      Small pack size
      Price
      Warmth

      Dislikes: White color does not hide dirt or stains
      No pocket for watch/flashlight/etc.

      Will

      Yahoo! Messenger