EDIT: OWNER REVIEW - KEEN - NEWPORT H2 - Rami Benhameda

  • Roger Caffin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1 4:08 PM
      OWNER REVIEW - KEEN - NEWPORT H2 - Rami Benhameda

      Hi Rami
      Fine review, and a bit different from some other assessments of the H2s I
      have read. This difference was of interest to me.
      I have some small edits for you to consider, many of them more in the nature
      of style. After that you may repost here or upload directly to
      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Footwear/Sandals/Keen%20Newport%20H2/ ,
      as you see fit.

      > KEEN
      EDIT: This looks like a Copyright logo. I suspect the use of this may not be
      allowed, like pictures from the vendor's web site.

      > *Tester Information:* *Product Information:*
      EDIT: I was a bit confused by the two lots of information being put into one
      table. It's a nice idea, but I don't think it works. There is no real
      continuity of meaning across the rows. This was compounded by the table
      design which is specified as a fraction of the screen width. That made the
      columns a bit narrow on my screen so the shoe sizes came out rather
      confused.

      > *Tester Biographical Information:*
      Edit: Length is just fine, as you know. But you don't mention anything about
      your style - lightweight or otherwise. Hum?

      > M*anufacturer Information:*
      > the razor sipped outsole and 3mm lugs
      Edit: "sipped" ???? Unknown term. You explain later, but I was still a bit
      puzzled.

      > I began paying attention to all of the Keen shoes as soon as they showed
      > up in my store in the spring of 2004.
      Edit: In my guise as a novice reader I am a little confused just here by
      your phrase "my store". Do you own it, work in it, or is it just your local
      gear shop? (Yes, you explain later, but that's later.)

      > I Received my Newport H2's in early April and began using them
      EDIT: Cap on Received - change to lower case. Delete apostrophe: not
      possessive.

      > many boat manufacturers were present and answering questions of the people
      Edit: possibly style, but I would prefer one of the following:
      answering the questions of people
      answering questions from the people (preferred)

      > visitors in and out of the boats, and out on the water and back safely.
      EDIT: "in and out of the boats, out on the water" without the AND

      > I spent the two days, which were in the mid 60's in my H2's and
      EDIT: I recommend you skip the comma after days. Also, the apostrophes after
      60 and H2 should be removed as these words are not in the possessive.

      > This leads me to the second minor issue. The metatarsal ridge. The bump
      > in the foot bed which is designed to go between your
      EDIT: A little awkward here. Can I suggest something like:
      "the second minor issue: the metatarsal ridge. This is the bump in the foot
      bed which
      You could argue for style here of course.

      > every weather condition from rain, to hot summer, to snow since getting
      them.
      Edit: maybe style, but I recommend no commas here.

      > I attribute this to the unique "Razor Sipped" rubber outsole. This is
      > basically a zigzag cut from left to right covering the whole flat surface
      Mumble. I still don't understand what the word 'sipped' means. I think they
      made it up.

      > If you've ever owned a pair of "Sperry Topsiders^(TM)", think of how the
      > sole of those shoes look and work,
      EDIT: getting close to a product comparison, although not much of a worry
      here. But many of us have never heard of these shoes, so I question the
      inclusion. Your call.

      > One of the unique aspect of this
      EDIT: either "one unique aspect" or "one of the unique aspects"

      > curve of my foot causes the outsole to curve as well. the zigzag cuts
      EDIT: Capital needed on 'the'

      > walking on dense pine duff,
      Comment: the term 'pine duff' is unknown to me, but may be common in
      America. Not fussed.

      > quickly, they feel lighter, yet more secure than any other trail shoe
      Edit: skip comma after lighter

      Cheers
      Roger Caffin
      BGT Editor
    • Rami
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 4 10:29 AM
        Roger Caffin wrote:

        [[R:]]
        Hi Roger,
        Thanks for the edits, I only have four comments below.
        I agree with your other edits and comments so I'll upload after the
        revisions are made.

        >Fine review, and a bit different from some other assessments of the H2s I
        >have read. This difference was of interest to me.

        [[R:]]
        Thanks.

        >>KEEN
        >>

        >EDIT: This looks like a Copyright logo. I suspect the use of this may not be
        >allowed, like pictures from the vendor's web site.

        [[R:]]
        Actually, I made it with Microsoft Word Art but I'll change it back to
        plain text if you feel it is too close to the actual logo.

        >>*Tester Information:* *Product Information:*
        >>

        >EDIT: I was a bit confused by the two lots of information being put into one
        >table. It's a nice idea, but I don't think it works. There is no real
        >continuity of meaning across the rows. This was compounded by the table
        >design which is specified as a fraction of the screen width. That made the
        >columns a bit narrow on my screen so the shoe sizes came out rather
        >confused.

        [[R:]] I see your point. I'll separate the fields of the table.

        >>If you've ever owned a pair of "Sperry Topsiders^(TM)", think of how the
        >>sole of those shoes look and work,
        >>

        >EDIT: getting close to a product comparison, although not much of a worry
        >here. But many of us have never heard of these shoes, so I question the
        >inclusion. Your call.

        [[R:]]
        Good points and as the reference does not factor heavily in the
        description of the shoes, I'll remove it.

        --
        -r

        Pressure
        -------
        Grace

      • Roger Caffin
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5 2:39 PM
          Hi Rami

          > > KEEN
          > > EDIT: This looks like a Copyright logo. I suspect the use of this may
          not be
          > > allowed, like pictures from the vendor's web site.
          > Actually, I made it with Microsoft Word Art but I'll change it back to

          It is very close to the trademarked logo (well done!), and this makes two
          problems.

          * It is hard to tell whether a logo is copied or made (unlike an image of a
          product or a picture). We don't want to set any precedents which might lead
          to arguments later on with other Testers over such things. Better to avoid
          such things from the start.

          * The company might challenge it, and would I think be legally entitled to
          do so even if you made it up yourself. In fact, I think they *should*
          challenge it if they want to retain the ownership of their logo. It is not
          whether it was copied from their web site here which is the issue; rather it
          is that they do actually own the *appearance* of the logo under Trademark
          law, regardless of how it was generated. So we would be in breach of their
          Trademark. We don't want any hassles with our suppliers. :-)

          So, all considered, I think it would be much better if you could change the
          logo to a simple heading. Sorry, but we must remain squeaky clean.

          Cheers
          Roger Caffin
        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5 4:48 PM
            At 01:29 AM 5/04/2005, you wrote:
            > >>KEEN
            > >>

            > >EDIT: This looks like a Copyright logo. I suspect the use of this may not be
            > >allowed, like pictures from the vendor's web site.
            > >

            >[[R:]]
            >Actually, I made it with Microsoft Word Art but I'll change it back to
            >plain text if you feel it is too close to the actual logo.

            AP:> As it is home made, it is acceptable, however, is it really necessary?

            Regards
            Andrew

          • Andrew Priest
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5 5:04 PM
              At 07:48 AM 6/04/2005, you wrote:

              > > >EDIT: This looks like a Copyright logo. I suspect the use of this may
              > not be
              > > >allowed, like pictures from the vendor's web site.
              > > >

              > >[[R:]]
              > >Actually, I made it with Microsoft Word Art but I'll change it back to
              > >plain text if you feel it is too close to the actual logo.
              >
              >AP:> As it is home made, it is acceptable, however, is it really necessary?

              Hi,

              Given Roger's further comments, please ignore the above.

              Andrew