REPOST: Owner Review ExOfficio Convertible Pants

  • Sonja Furiya
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hi Andrew,
      Hope I've addressed all your edits. Please note change of e-dress.
      Sonja

      ExOfficio Convertible Pants

      Reviewer Information

      Name: Sonja S. Furiya
      Age: 45
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'2" (1.57 m)
      Weight: 115 lbs (52 kg)
      Email address: fallingarrow at gmail dot com
      City, State, Country: St. Louis, Missouri, USA
      Date: April 1, 2005

      Backpacking Background:
      Although my interest in the wilderness began in my youth, I started
      hiking and backpacking on a regular basis last year. Currently I do
      day and weekend hikes primarily in Eastern Missouri/Western Illinois
      where the terrain can include open grassland, forested areas, steep
      rocky hillsides, limeston

      e outcroppings, narrow drainages, etc. I try to plan a week-long trip
      at least every other year. My last long trip was on the Powell
      Plateau, North Rim, Grand Canyon. I like my pack to be as light as
      possible. Although I aspire to being able to call myself an
      ultra-light backpacker, I'd rather carry tent poles (light ones) than
      use my trekking poles in my tent.

      Product Information

      Manufacturer: Ex Officio
      Year of Manufacture: 2003
      Website listed weight: 3oz (85g) /sq. yard (of current 2005 model)
      Actual weight: 8.9 oz (252 g)
      Size: Women's 8
      Waist 27" (69 cm)
      Hips 37" (94 cm)
      Regular -30" (76 cm) pant inseam, 7.5" (19 cm) short inseam

      Product description:

      As the name of these pants implies, they convert from pants to shorts
      by way of zippers. They are made from a lightweight 100% nylon that
      feels like soft cotton. They have a Teflon(r) treatment for resistance
      to stains, dirt and water. They are wrinkle resistant and fast-drying.

      The elastic in the waistband is on the back left and right sides.
      There are 5 belt loops that fit a 1" (2.5cm) belt. The fly is a
      standard women's fly that crosses right over left. The zipper is nylon
      with a metal pull. The waistband is attached with two ¾" (2 cm)
      buttons – one on the inside and one on the outside. On the inside of
      the pants there is an extra button sewn against the left pocket. I was
      concerned that this button would dig into my skin when I had my
      backpack belt cinched tight but in fact I was never aware of it.
      Pockets: There are two side slanted hand pockets which have mesh
      lining on the side that touches the back of my hand and fabric on the
      side that goes against my leg. Measuring from the waistband, the
      pockets are 11.5" (29 cm) deep. The left pocket also has an inner
      zipped security pocket (which is an additional fabric layer next my
      skin – same size as the regular pocket.) The zipper opens downwards.
      There are no back pockets.
      The 6" (15 cm) wide cargo pocket on the outside of the left leg is a
      double pocket: The smaller, outer pocket has a zipper at the top to
      close it and is 6" (15 cm) deep. The inner pocket closes with a small
      centered piece of Velcro and is 7.25" (18.4 cm) deep. The bottom edge
      of the cargo pocket is 2" (5 cm) above the shorts hem.

      The convertible pants legs are attached to the shorts with zippers.
      Both legs unzip starting at the outside of the leg and going clockwise
      – so the right leg unzips the back portion of the leg first and the
      left leg unzips the front portion first. I found this to be annoying
      as I shall describe later. At the bottom of the pants leg is an ankle
      zipper to aid taking the legs off over hiking boots or shoes. The
      ankle zippers are 9.75" (24.77 cm) in length and are on the inside of
      the leg.

      Field Information
      I have used these pants as my basic hiking pants over the last year.
      Primarily I have worn them in mild (50F-80F (10C-27C)) and dry weather
      conditions. I have used them on a couple of dozen day hikes, as well
      as on an 8-day backpacking trip to the Grand Canyon. On this trip they
      were worn everyday with no washing in temperatures ranging from 75F
      (24C) during the day to 40F (4C) in the evenings. The area we were
      hiking in had had a major fire the previous year and so we basically
      camped in a fire pit during the entire trip. By the end of the week my
      pants were black with dirt, grime and soot. The pants washed fine and
      there is no trace of any of the grime. So I would say that the stain
      resistant properties work well. Dried tomato juice also washed out
      without any staining.
      The water-resistant properties cause water to bead up on the surface
      of the material allowing me to brush off the spilled liquid. The
      pants dry very quickly, within 12 minutes, quicker in warm and breezy
      weather. They wrinkle ever so slightly, but nothing that bothers me.
      After all they are hiking pants and not dress slacks. I have washed
      them frequently and they basically look the same as the day I bought
      them. Because they are lightweight the pants only provide minimal
      cover when I am walking through thick undergrowth; thorns or spiny
      branches do poke through the material on occasion causing slight
      fraying, but on the whole they are pretty durable.
      The size fits nicely – not too tight and not too loose. It is
      comfortable wearing them over long underwear in the evenings. I had to
      shorten the legs however as they were too long. Even if I had bought
      the petite size inseam (28" (71 cm) pant inseam) I would have still
      needed to shorten the legs by 2" (5 cm). The Regular size required a
      4" (10 cm) shortening. I found instructions on the ExOfficio website
      on how to shorten the convertible pants. However, the instructions
      were how to shorten the legs at the hem – which also shortens the
      ankle zips. If I had shortened my pant legs 4" (10 cm) at the hem the
      ankle zips would have been only 5.75 " (14.61 cm) long rendering them
      unable to slip over my hiking boots. I chose to shorten the legs just
      under the leg zipper so that I could keep the ankle zippers intact.
      The partial elastic waistband is very comfortable and the pockets are
      all accessible when I have my backpack on. The left, zipped security
      pocket is great for holding ID or keys and the zipped cargo pocket is
      extremely useful for holding items that I need quick access to but
      don't want to lose like my lip balm & hand sanitizer.
      I was annoyed with the leg zippers unzipping differently. There was
      one time on the Grand Canyon trip when I wanted more ventilation on my
      legs; I would have unzipped the legs altogether if we hadn't been
      hiking through some pretty brushy terrain. Having the back section of
      my right leg unzipped and the front section of my left leg unzipped
      was not particularly comfortable. I would have preferred to either
      have both back sections or both front sections unzipped. Still, I
      loved being able to ventilate my legs while still having my legs
      protected and also being able to take the legs off altogether to
      create the shorts. When removing the legs, they slip over my boots
      very easily.

      I did have some problems putting the correct leg section back on the
      shorts. There is nothing to indicate which lower leg section belongs
      to which upper leg. The zippers are not the same length on each leg
      and so when I zipped the wrong sections together the zipper lengths
      did not match. I have had to sew in a color thread so that I can match
      the legs up again when I turn them into shorts. I think that the
      zippers on the legs should be exactly the same length so that it
      doesn't matter which lower leg goes on which upper leg – or that they
      should be color coded so that it is easy to identify the correct
      sections.

      Summary
      The Convertible Pants are great, comfortable hiking pants. They
      convert to shorts easily, have great, useful pockets. The material is
      light-weight and cleans easily.

      Pros
      • Pockets
      • Fit
      • Easy to clean

      Cons
      • Having to match the legs up once they have been removed.
      • The leg zippers not opening the same section of the leg.
    • Andrew Priest
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
        Hi Sonja

        Thanks for the quick response and for taking up the edits without hassle.
        You have done well with this Owner Review. I am pretty happy with your
        review. Just some minor things which need to be taken on board with the
        HTML copy. Therefore with this email and once you have made the final
        tweaking, you are okay to upload your Owner Review. However, before I can
        create a home for it, I need you to let me know which model pants these are
        - Explorer or Amphi.

        When uploading your Owner Review, please ensure you select the button
        marked Owner Review.

        We do ask that you make use of the test upload folder at Reviews >Test >
        Owner Reviews or
        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/ to test your
        upload before uploading the review to its new home. You should check for
        layout issues and that all links are clickable and take the reader to the
        correct place, e.g., manufacturer's website.

        support group, BGTFileUploadHelp @

        If you have completed your second Owner Review you will also need to join
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/backpackgeartesters/>. This is where
        everything related to Tests and Testing takes place. However, please don't
        stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner Reviews you write, the better
        you will get at report writing and this won't go unnoticed when Test
        Moderators are choosing testers.

        Thanks
        Andrew Priest
        Senior Edit Moderator

        At 06:48 AM 2/04/2005, you wrote:

        >ExOfficio Convertible Pants

        EDIT:> Need to include the words "Owner Review" in your title. Also you
        need to be more specific as to which pants they are: The Explorers or the
        Amphi models

        >Product description:
        >
        >As the name of these pants implies, they convert from pants to shorts
        >by way of zippers. They are made from a lightweight 100% nylon that
        >feels like soft cotton. They have a Teflon(r) treatment for resistance
        >to stains, dirt and water. They are wrinkle resistant and fast-drying.
        >
        >The elastic in the waistband is on the back left and right sides.
        >There are 5 belt loops that fit a 1" (2.5cm) belt. The fly is a
        >standard women's fly that crosses right over left. The zipper is nylon
        >with a metal pull. The waistband is attached with two ¾" (2 cm)
        >buttons ­ one on the inside and one on the outside. On the inside of
        >the pants there is an extra button sewn against the left pocket. I was
        >concerned that this button would dig into my skin when I had my
        >backpack belt cinched tight but in fact I was never aware of it.

        EDIT: Paragraph break needed here.

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 4, 2005
          Hi Andrew,
          Thanks. I will work on the HTML copy adding the tweaks. THe model is Explorer.
          I should be able to upload to the Test folder some time tomorrow.
          Sonja

          On Apr 4, 2005 7:39 AM, Andrew Priest <apriest@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >4" (10 cm) shortening. I found instructions on the ExOfficio website
          > >on how to shorten the convertible pants. However, the instructions
          > >were how to shorten the legs at the hem ­ which also shortens the
          > >ankle zips. If I had shortened my pant legs 4" (10 cm) at the hem the
          > >ankle zips would have been only 5.75 " (14.61 cm) long rendering them
          > >unable to slip over my hiking boots. I chose to shorten the legs just
          > >under the leg zipper so that I could keep the ankle zippers intact.
          > >The partial elastic waistband is very comfortable and the pockets are
          > >all accessible when I have my backpack on. The left, zipped security
          > >pocket is great for holding ID or keys and the zipped cargo pocket is
          > >extremely useful for holding items that I need quick access to but
          > >don't want to lose like my lip balm & hand sanitizer.

        • Andrew Priest
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 5, 2005
            At 04:53 AM 5/04/2005, you wrote:
            >Hi Andrew,
            >Thanks. I will work on the HTML copy adding the tweaks. THe model is Explorer.
            >I should be able to upload to the Test folder some time tomorrow.
            >Sonja

            Thanks Sonja. Your new home for the Owner Review is
            <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Pants%20and%20Shorts/Ex%20Officio%20Explorer%20Convertible%20Pants>
            or Reviews > Clothing > Pants and Shorts > Ex Officio Explorer Convertible
            Pants.

            Regards
            Andrew

          • Sonja Furiya
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
              Hi Andrew,
              OR has been uploaded into the folder. It looks okay to me - everything
              seems to be working.
              THanks for your help.
              On to owner review no. 2.
              Sonja

              On Apr 5, 2005 6:54 PM, Andrew Priest <apriest@...> wrote:

              > At 04:53 AM 5/04/2005, you wrote:
              > >Hi Andrew,
              > >Thanks. I will work on the HTML copy adding the tweaks. THe model is Explorer.
              > >I should be able to upload to the Test folder some time tomorrow.
              > >Sonja
              >
              > Thanks Sonja. Your new home for the Owner Review is
              > <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Pants%20and%20Shorts/Ex%20Officio%20Explorer%20Convertible%20Pants>
              > or Reviews > Clothing > Pants and Shorts > Ex Officio Explorer Convertible
              > Pants.
              >
              > Regards
              > Andrew

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Andrew Priest
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 7, 2005
                At 01:46 AM 8/04/2005, you wrote:
                >Hi Andrew,
                >OR has been uploaded into the folder. It looks okay to me - everything
                >seems to be working.
                >THanks for your help.
                >On to owner review no. 2.
                >Sonja