APPLICATION to test Sierra Designs Rock Creek Sleeping Bag - Kathy Waters

  • Kathy Waters
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
      APPLICATION FOR SIERRA DESIGNS ROCK CREEK SLEEPING BAG

      Please accept my application to test the Sierra Designs Rock Creek Sleeping Bag. I have read the requirements for being a tester and the reporting requirements and I AGREE to comply. I have completed the Tester Agreement and submitted it to Shane as required. I am also familiar with the BGT Survival Guide v. 1202.

      Tester Biographical Information

      Name: Kathleen Waters
      Age: 54
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'4� (1.63 m)
      Weight: 128 lbs (58 kg)
      Email address: kathy@...
      City, State, Country: White Lake, MI USA

      Backpacking Background: My husband and I started hiking in 1998 on a gorgeous fall day, starting with Mt. Hahn located just north of Steamboat Springs, CO.

      Since then, we have returned to Colorado, mostly to the Vail Valley area twice a year, both summer/early fall and winter to play outdoors � we snowshoe in the winter.

      When we are home in Southeast Michigan, we make it a point to hike 2 or 3 weekdays, usually 6 to 8 miles (10 to 13 km) and then one whole weekend day. Our weekday hikes generally take place in the Pontiac Lake Recreation Area, which is a decent mixture of moderately steep hills and flat terrain, heavily wooded. Our weekend hikes can end up being anywhere!

      Field Information

      This is the year my backpacking day trips finally expand into backpacking overnight trips! I am looking forward to several 2-3 day hiking trips here in Michigan (at least 1 per month) and have at least one weeklong trip already scheduled for Rocky Mountain National Park September 18-25.

      Hiking will take place in terrain that will include the sandy lakeshore dunes of Lake Michigan in western lower Michigan, the rockier shore areas of Lake Superior in the UP and the alpine forests of Colorado in the RMNP. Elevation will range from 177� to 11,160� (54 m to 3420 m) and temperatures over spring, summer and fall will vary from 30 F to 95 F (-1.1 C to 35 C). I�m sure to experience heat and cold, wind and rain and maybe even a bit of early snow in RMNP.

      Proposed Test Plan

      If I am accepted as a tester for the Sierra Designs Rock Creek Sleeping Bag, it will be my only choice of sleeping bag for the whole testing period. So, it will be tested spring, summer and fall in a wide range of weather and locations. Most of the testing will be 2-3 day trips in western and northern Michigan on lakeshore trails, ranging from sandy, open areas, to rocky, heavily treed terrain. Spring will be cold/cool and wet, summer will be hot and dry (hopefully). The sleeping bag will get damp, if not wet.

      Comfort is my primary concern in a sleeping bag and I will thoroughly test for comfort as well as overall utility.

      I will be testing the Sierra Designs Rock Creek Sleeping Bag for comfort in temperature control.

      Will I be warm enough in colder temps?
      Will I be too warm in warmer temperatures?
      At what temperature (if any) is the bag uncomfortable?
      Does the draft tube really keep out drafts?

      I will be testing the Sierra Designs Rock Creek Sleeping Bag for comfort in construction.

      Is there enough �cushion� in the filling?
      Does the baffling system keep the filling from shifting over the testing period?
      Are there any flat or cold spots?
      Is there enough wiggle room?
      Do I feel claustrophobic with the zipper fully engaged?
      Can I sleep on my side without suffocating?

      I will be testing the Sierra Designs Rock Creek Sleeping Bag for utility and truth in advertising.

      Is the reported weight accurate?
      Can I �stuff� the bag back into the reported size?
      Is the zipper easy to use and really �snag-proof�?
      Do the glow-in-the-dark zipper pulls really glow?
      How much lighting is needed to see the pulls?
      Do the pads locks work with any pad?
      How functional is the chest pocket?

      I will be testing the Sierra Designs Rock Creek Sleeping Bag for sturdiness and wearability.

      Does the baffling keep the filling stable?
      Does the stitching stay intact after repeated use or will breaks in the threads occur over time?
      How well does the sleeping bag repel dampness?
      How long does it take to dry out when wet?
      Will the pad locks or zipper pull break under normal usage?
      Does the sleeping bag retain odor?

      I will also report any other issues that arise during the testing period.

      If selected I would require a Sierra Designs Rock Creek bag, size REGULAR. Thank you for the opportunity to apply for this test!

      Kathy Waters

      Previous Owner�s Reports include:

      Patagonia El Cap Jacket
      Patagonia Capilene Mock-T
      Burton Women�s Day Hiker Backpack
      Yukon Charles Winter Systems Snowshoes

      Previous Completed Test Reports include:

      Rocky Gore-Tex Socks
      Muttluk Dog Boots

      Current Tests include:

      None

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
        --- In BackpackGearTest@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Waters"
        <TheMiddleSister@i...> wrote:

        > APPLICATION FOR SIERRA DESIGNS ROCK CREEK SLEEPING BAG

        Kathy, you need to send this to:
        From Monday 21 February 2005, this is where everything related to Tests
        and Testing will be taking place. However, please don't stop writing
        Owner Reviews. The more Owner Reviews you write, the better you will
        get at report writing and this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators
        are choosing testers.

        Graham
        BGT Edit Moderator
      • Kathy Waters
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2005
          Yeah, I know and I already did! Missed the "ers" in the address. Thanks.

          Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
          --Hunter S. Thompson

            >Yeah, I know and I already did! Missed the "ers" in the address. Thanks.

            Blame that one on Shane :-)

            Andrew