REPOST: Owner Review: Lowa Klondike GTX lo

  • kevvybaby12
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2005
      OWNER REVIEW: Lowa Klondike GTX lo
      Review Date: Mar 23, 2005

      Tester Bio
      Name: Kevin Mason
      Age: 18
      Gender: male
      Height: 5'10" (1.78 meters)
      Weight: 150 lb (68 kg)
      Email address: kevinmason@...
      City, State, Country: Alexandria, MN 56308

      Backpacking Background: I have fished, hunted, and camped for
      several years now, but just within the last year or so is when I
      have begun to take a more serious interest in camping. Last fall was
      my first trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area (BWCA) Wilderness,
      and I plan to return again in the spring of 2005. My backpacking
      style right now is pretty lightweight. My average pack weight for a
      5 day camping trip is around 40-50 pounds (18-23 kg), depending on
      weather conditions.
      Product information
      Manufacturer: Lowa
      Model Year: 2004
      Website: www.lowaboots.com
      Weight Listed: 2.3 lb (1.04 kg)/pair for US men's size 9
      Actual Weight: 2.5 lb (1.13 kg)/pair for US men's size 10
      MSRP: $140.00
      Color: gray/asphalt
      Uppers: Split leather and Cordura
      Sole: Vibram Vialta
      Lining: GORE-TEX
      Field information
      1. Location of testing: Boundary Waters Canoe Area

      2. Description of location: It is in the northeastern tip of
      Minnesota; it is basically more than 1 million acres (400,000
      hectares) of forest and water, all connected by streams, lakes, and
      hiking trails.

      3. Weather conditions: I camped up the BWCA in the middle of
      August. In the five days I was in the Boundary Waters, the weather
      ranged from 72 degrees Fahrenheit (22 degrees Celsius) and sunny to
      36°F (2.2°C) and raining. I experienced those conditions and pretty
      much everything in between, including some accidental wading in
      freezing cold water.

      4. Description of trip: When I got up there the first day, it
      was rainy and cold. We had to canoe in to get to the campsite, but
      stopped on the way for a couple of portages. The rain, and even
      slippery rocks were no trouble to me, but I made the mistake once of
      jumping into water that was deeper than the tops of my boots. From
      then on, my feet were soaked for the rest of the day and most of the
      next. Once the weather cleared up, I was able to set my boots out on
      a rock, and they dried out a lot quicker. After that, didn't have
      problems with them getting wet inside. I really learned quickly how
      valuable a Gore-Tex lining is, because there were many times on that
      trip when my feet could have been soaking wet because of puddles and
      shallow water. These boots were very comfortable for hiking also.
      Over the varied terrain, they provided good support (surprising for
      a low-top) and retained a comfortable temperature. My feet didn't
      get hot enough in them to sweat, thanks in part to the insoles,
      which are designed to breathe with the foot.

      5. Long-term performance: I have worn these hiking boots many
      times since; at work, school, hunting and four-wheeling; in
      temperatures from -20°F (-29° C)to +80°F (27° C). I also wear them
      to work a lot, where I am on my feet for 6 or more hours at a time.
      They have been very reliable and comfortable, and the only things
      that have worn out are the laces. But those aren't a big deal to
      replace.

      Summary

      Things I like:
      They can be worn in many situations
      They are very light and easy to do a lot of walking in
      The Gore-Tex lining is a life-saver
      No break-in period
      The leather and the rubber soles are very durable

      Things I don't like:
      The laces wore out rather quickly
      If they get wet inside, they don't dry out fast
      The disadvantages of the low-top design: easier water
      leakage and less ankle support

      All things considered, I would definitely buy these boots again.