OR: Wolf Packs Reflector Dog Pack

  • uberpest
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 27, 2005
      Owner Review: Wolf Packs Reflector Dog Pack

      Name: Amanda Tikkanen
      Age: 23
      Gender: Female
      Height: 5'4" (1.6 m)
      Weight: 135 lbs (61 kg)
      Email address: uberpest at uberpest dot com
      City, State, Country: LaGrange, IN USA

      Canine Tester #1
      Name: Lucy
      Age: 10.5 (5.5 at time of use)
      Gender: Female
      Height: 19.5" (.5 m)
      Weight: 50 lbs (22.7 kg)
      Breed: Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog X Australian Cattle Dog

      Canine Tester #2
      Name: Beau
      Age: 4.5
      Gender: Male
      Height: 24.5" (.6 m)
      Weight: 90 lbs (40.8 kg)
      Breed: Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dog

      Date: March 27, 2005

      Backpacking Background:

      I have been backpacking and hiking for five years throughout
      Michigan and Indiana, covering several hundred miles, always with a
      dog by my side. Beau has been happily carrying a pack for almost
      three years. Before Beau I hiked with Lucy, who is now retired.

      My style of backpacking is moving from overnights to long distance
      hiking, including multi-day trips. While I don't favor ultralight
      equipment, I do like to go as light as possible while still being
      comfortable.

      Product Information:

      Manufacturer: Wolf Packs, Inc
      Year of manufacture: 1999

      Specifications:
      Fabric: Cordura Plus nylon
      Dimensions: (each side) 8.5" H x 15" L x 5" W (21.6 x 38.1 x 12.7 cm)
      Volume: 1150 cubic inches (18.9 L)
      Size: Medium
      Fit range: Dog girth (at dog's last rib): 26"- 34" (66.0 – 86.4 cm)
      Weight: 1 lb (.5 kg)
      MSRP: $59.00

      Product Description:

      I ordered this pack from the manufacturer through their website in
      the fall of 1999. It arrived undamaged in a UPS padded envelope.
      It had one large hangtag with instructions on how to fit the pack to
      the dog and train the dog to wear the pack.

      The Wolf Packs Reflector dog pack is two elliptical zippered
      saddlebags constructed of Cordura Plus pack cloth attached to a band
      of pack cloth that rests over the dog's shoulders. Each pack is a
      single compartment, the seams of which are not taped or sealed. The
      interior surface of the pack does have a waterproof coating of some
      kind. The back band of the pack puts the weight of a load directly
      over the dog's shoulders and also contains a zippered flap for maps
      or ID. On top of the saddle bags there are lash tabs, one on each
      side. These lash tabs will accept straps up to 1" wide to attach
      items such as a sleeping pad. The packs fit the dog via webbing
      straps. The first strap goes in front of the dog's chest,
      approximately on top of the breastbone, and the second strap goes
      under the chest at the last rib. The belly and chest straps are
      adjustable and secure with side-release buckles. The buckles are
      padded with polyester fleece. There is a strip of 3M Scotchlight
      reflective tape on each side of the pack. The zippers are heavy-
      duty YKK zippers with large, rubber-coated pull-tabs. This pack is
      available in four sizes to fit most dogs. Sizing adjustments are
      made by sliding plastic sliders to take up slack in the webbing.
      Colors available are red, royal blue, and forest green, as well as
      custom colors such as purple and orange. My pack is orange.

      I purchased this pack due to the company's reputation for
      manufacturing quality equipment. I chose orange for this pack
      because it offered better visibility in the woods and when hiking
      along roads. I thought this would be especially helpful if I were
      to be hiking during some hunting seasons, and because my dogs are
      mottled colored, allowing them to blend into the surrounding
      woodlands.

      The padding on the harness prevented any chafing that may have
      occurred from the straps, especially on a short-coated dog. The
      pack carried a load well and I try not to load more than 15-20% of
      the dog's bodyweight into the pack.

      Field Information:

      Initial impressions:

      I originally purchased this pack for my dog Lucy in the fall of
      1999. She carried the pack on day hikes in Indiana over the winter
      of 1999 and the summer of 2000 for a total of about 30 miles (48.3
      km) before she was retired due to a tear to her anterior cruciate
      ligament. The following summer Beau started carrying the pack and
      has carried it about 100 miles (161 km) during day hikes and
      overnight trips in Michigan and Indiana. One overnight trip
      included a 17-mile (27.4 km) day. Terrain was often hilly, but
      exact elevations are unknown.

      Items carried in the pack varied, but were usually some combination
      of: a map of the area, compass, pocketknife, 2 liters of water,
      water bowl, snacks, clean up baggies (for feces), a first aid kit,
      dog booties, an extra collar and leash, a AA mini-mag flashlight,
      and kibble, which was double bagged in zippered plastic bags.
      Weight for the load varied from 3-13lb (1.4- 5.9 kg).

      The pack never seemed to slow down either of my dogs, even in snow
      reaching above their elbows or in thick brush.

      According to the manufacturer, the pack cloth used in this pack
      should be tough enough for any trip, unless the pack is being
      constantly dragged across rock. I have found this to be true. The
      pack has held up well to thick brush and the dogs lying down while
      wearing the pack. The only notable wear on the pack is from when
      Beau crawled through some thick muck, which has lightly stained the
      orange material. While washing the muck off the pack some of the
      color seemed to bleed out into the wash water. Other than this
      point, which is mostly aesthetic, the pack seems durable enough for
      most dogs and most trails. There are no frayed threads or worn
      spots on the pack.

      As for fitting, Lucy is at the low end of the comfort range for the
      medium Reflector, while Beau is at the upper range. This doesn't
      seem to be a problem for either dog as the pack adjusts easily and
      will hold enough food for either for several days. One nice feature
      of the belly and chest straps was that, once adjusted, the straps
      rarely needed to be tightened or loosened. At rest stops or water
      crossings I only needed to undo the belly strap, then lift the pack
      over the dog's head. There was no need for the dog to do anything
      but stand in one place to put the pack on or take it off.

      I have heard this type of pack referred to as a "restrictive
      harness." I have not had any trouble with the chest strap riding up
      into the dog's windpipe or impeding shoulder movement. The only fit
      problems I had were actually due to there being nothing on the pack
      where I could attach a leash. If the dog walked in front of me with
      a leash attached to his or her collar, the leash would get caught
      under one of the saddle bags and pull that side up, throwing off the
      balance of the load. The only remedy I found for this was to have
      the dog walk behind or beside me when on leash.

      Small details from the pack designer that I appreciated are the
      large rubberized pull-tabs on the zippers. These were easy to
      manipulate, even with winter gloves on. The rubberized coating
      eliminated any annoying jingling while on the trail. The reflective
      strips on the pack did improve visibility in the dark or in low
      light conditions such as fog. This is a definite bonus if one is
      hiking along roads.

      I have seam sealed the seams of the pack to further waterproof the
      pack. I also added a piece of shock cord to the lash tabs on the
      top of the pack so I could store the dog's jacket for easy access.
      As further prevention for dampness in case the dog were to take an
      unexpected swim, I usually carry all items in plastic bags.

      I do wish that, instead of lash tabs, there were daisy chains on the
      back of the pack. This would allow more options for attaching items
      than the lash tabs afford. For instance, carabiners could clip
      dishes to the outside of the pack to dry, and foam pads could be
      lashed down in a nose-to-tail direction and across the shoulders,
      instead of across the shoulders only. I also wish there were some
      kind of handle on the pack to carry the pack during water crossings
      or assist the dog over trail obstacles. One final request from the
      manufacturer is to tape the seams of the pack to further waterproof
      it.

      The capacity of this pack is good for most day hikes or overnight
      trips. I have loaded the pack with enough food and equipment for up
      to a week and believe it would do well for extended trips. It is an
      easy to use entry-level pack.

      Likes:
      Easy to put on/take off
      Generous capacity of the packs
      Tough Cordura pack cloth
      Large zipper pull-tabs

      Dislikes:
      No taped seams
      No carry/assistance handle
      No daisy chains
    • chcoa
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 27, 2005
        Hi Amanda,

        Review Queue and will be picked up by an Edit Moderator soon. Do not
        worry if nothing happens with it for several days. All our Editors
        are volunteers and your report will be subject to an official edit
        within fourteen days. If you have not had a response from an Edit
        Moderator via the Yahoo Groups list within this timeframe, please let
        me know directly at jdeben@....

        yourself, if you post your first review, have it edited, approved and
        uploaded before you post your second and subsequent reviews. This
        way we can work with you on addressing any standard BGT policy edits
        which you can incorporate into your second and subsequent reviews
        before submission.

        The Editors will work with you, within their own time constraints, to
        start applying for Tests.

        review. Incorporating member edits and re-submitting to the list will
        usually result in a better review, as well as making things easier
        for the official Editor. Please put REVISED in the subject line of
        your re-submitted review, if you take this route or make any changes
        to your review BEFORE the review has been taken by an Edit Moderator.

        will use APPROVED in the subject line.

        Owner Review Queue is posted to the list on Fridays.

        the list or contact me directly.

        Edit Administration Officer
      • edwardripleyduggan
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
          Hi Amanda,

          A very interesting piece, especially for someone like me who doesn't
          own a dog. I have a few mostly minor corrections for you, and only a
          couple (the measured weight and dimensions, and the missing field
          information) that are more significant, and these should be easily
          addressed. Otherwise, this is a very creditable review--well done. I'm
          not going to ask you to repost to list--instead, I'd like to see this
          with the various corrections I've indicated incorporates, in the test
          folder, at

          http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

          As this is your second review, I assume you know the procedure (please
          advise me should you need assistance). Let me know on this list when
          that's up, and I'll take a look and (with luck) issue approval for
          final upload.

          Ted

          BGT OR EDITOR

          > Owner Review: Wolf Packs Reflector Dog Pack
          ### Please add review date underneath.

          > Specifications:
          > Fabric: Cordura Plus nylon
          > Dimensions: (each side) 8.5" H x 15" L x 5" W (21.6 x 38.1 x 12.7 cm)
          ### Are these your measurements or those stated by the manufacturer?
          Please state. Ideally, I would like to see both.
          > Volume: 1150 cubic inches (18.9 L)
          > Size: Medium
          > Fit range: Dog girth (at dog's last rib): 26"- 34" (66.0 – 86.4 cm)
          > Weight: 1 lb (.5 kg)
          ### Manufacturer's stated weight or measured weight? We need both,
          labelled so they can be differeniated. There's often a discrepancy so
          this is important and should always be present in a BGT review.
          > MSRP: $59.00
          ### MSRP: US $59.00

          > The Wolf Packs Reflector dog pack is two elliptical zippered
          > saddlebags constructed of Cordura Plus pack cloth
          ### packcloth (one word) is customary

          > These lash tabs will accept straps up to 1" wide to attach
          items such as a sleeping pad.
          ### metric equivalent for 1", please

          > The padding on the harness prevented any chafing that may have
          > occurred from the straps, especially on a short-coated dog.
          ### present tense, surely? I'm assuming you are still using this.
          "prevents any chafing" and "occurs from the straps"

          > The
          > pack carried a load well and I try not to load more than 15-20% of
          > the dog's bodyweight into the pack.

          ### Field Information: You clearly intended to add the field
          information, as you have a label for it here, but forgot. I would like
          to know details of terrain, conditions, temperature, locations &c.,
          though you have a little data under "Initial impressions." This is the
          only significant omission in your report.

          > Initial impressions:
          >
          > I originally purchased this pack for my dog Lucy in the fall of
          > 1999. She carried the pack on day hikes in Indiana over the winter
          > of 1999 and the summer of 2000 for a total of about 30 miles (48.3
          > km) before she was retired due to a tear to her anterior cruciate
          > ligament. The following summer Beau started carrying the pack and
          > has carried it about 100 miles (161 km) during day hikes and
          > overnight trips in Michigan and Indiana. One overnight trip
          > included a 17-mile (27.4 km) day. Terrain was often hilly, but
          > exact elevations are unknown.
          >
          > Items carried in the pack varied, but were usually some combination
          > of: a map of the area, compass, pocketknife, 2 liters of water,
          > water bowl, snacks, clean up baggies (for feces), a first aid kit,
          > dog booties, an extra collar and leash, a AA mini-mag flashlight,
          > and kibble, which was double bagged in zippered plastic bags.
          > Weight for the load varied from 3-13lb
          ### 3-13 lb (space)
          .

          > I have seam sealed the seams of the pack
          ### I have seam-sealed the pack to further waterproof..." etc. "seams"
          is implied by "seam-sealing"

          to further waterproof the
          > pack. I also added a piece of shock cord to the lash tabs on the
          > top of the pack so I could store the dog's jacket for easy access.
          > As further prevention for dampness
          ###"To further prevent dampness..." is the way I'd word this. "As
          further prevention for dampness" doesn't read well, IMO. Do substitute
          another phrase, if you wish.

          in case the dog were to take an
          > unexpected swim, I usually carry all items in plastic bags.
          >
          > I also wish there were some
          > kind of handle on the pack to carry the pack
          ### "to carry it during water crossings" reads better than the
          repeating the word "pack"

          > during water crossings
          > or assist the dog over trail obstacles. One final request from the
          > manufacturer is to tape the seams of the pack to further waterproof
          > it.

          > The capacity of this pack is good for most day hikes or overnight
          > trips. I have loaded the pack with enough food and equipment for up
          > to a week and believe it would do well for extended trips.
          ### I'm a bit confused by the sentence above. I'm assuming that you
          have loaded the pack for a week on a trial basis? If that's the case,
          I think it would be better to leave the sentence out. Since you
          "believe it would do well" but presumably (from the phrasing) haven't
          done an extended trip with it, this is a form of projecting. If I
          misread this and you have done extended trips, then I'd like more
          details on performance in these circumstances.

          > It is an
          > easy to use entry-level pack.
          >

          > Likes:
          > Easy to put on/take off
          > Generous capacity of the packs
          > Tough Cordura pack cloth
          > Large zipper pull-tabs
          >
          > Dislikes:
          > No taped seams
          > No carry/assistance handle
          > No daisy chains
        • edwardripleyduggan
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
            Hi Amanda,

            A very interesting piece, especially for someone like me who doesn't
            own a dog. I have a few mostly minor corrections for you, and only a
            couple (the measured weight and dimensions, and the missing field
            information) that are more significant, and these should be easily
            addressed. Otherwise, this is a very creditable review--well done. I'm
            not going to ask you to repost to list--instead, I'd like to see this
            with the various corrections I've indicated incorporated, in the test
            folder, at

            http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test/OWNER%20REVIEWS/

            As this is your second review, I assume you know the procedure (please
            advise me should you need assistance). Let me know on this list when
            that's up, and I'll take a look and (with luck) issue approval for
            final upload.

            Ted

            BGT OR EDITOR

            > Owner Review: Wolf Packs Reflector Dog Pack
            ### Please add review date underneath.

            > Specifications:
            > Fabric: Cordura Plus nylon
            > Dimensions: (each side) 8.5" H x 15" L x 5" W (21.6 x 38.1 x 12.7 cm)
            ### Are these your measurements or those stated by the manufacturer?
            Please state. Ideally, I would like to see both.
            > Volume: 1150 cubic inches (18.9 L)
            > Size: Medium
            > Fit range: Dog girth (at dog's last rib): 26"- 34" (66.0 – 86.4 cm)
            > Weight: 1 lb (.5 kg)
            ### Manufacturer's stated weight or measured weight? We need both,
            labelled so they can be differeniated. There's often a discrepancy so
            this is important and should always be present in a BGT review.
            > MSRP: $59.00
            ### MSRP: US $59.00

> [...]

            > during water crossings
            > or assist the dog over trail obstacles. One final request from the
            > manufacturer is to tape the seams of the pack to further waterproof
            > it.

            > The capacity of this pack is good for most day hikes or overnight
            > trips. I have loaded the pack with enough food and equipment for up
            > to a week and believe it would do well for extended trips.
            ### I'm a bit confused by the sentence above. I'm assuming that you
            have loaded the pack for a week on a trial basis? If that's the case,
            I think it would be better to leave the sentence out. Since you
            "believe it would do well" but presumably (from the phrasing) haven't
            done an extended trip with it, this is a form of projecting. If I
            misread this and you have done extended trips, then I'd like more
            details on performance in these circumstances.

          • uberpest
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
              <erd@w...> wrote:

              > As this is your second review, I assume you know the procedure
              (please
              > advise me should you need assistance). Let me know on this list when
              > that's up, and I'll take a look and (with luck) issue approval for
              > final upload.

              I fixed the conversions, etc. and it's uploaded in the test folder.

              -Amanda
              http://www.uberpest.com
            • edwardripleyduggan
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 1, 2005
                Hi Amanda,

                Looks pretty good! Two microscopic changes I'd like to suggest.

                Height: 5'4" (1.6 m)
                ### Height 5' 4" (1.6 m) (space between feet and inches is pretty
                customary--looks better in HTML, too.

                Product Information:

                Manufacturer: Wolf Packs, Inc

                Year of manufacture: 1999

                ### Something went wrong with the line spacing here. Too much space
                after the heading. Also, I'd prefer not to see a blank line between
                each of the three list items, in order to make it uniform with your
                other lists. I looked at the HTML and you have an extra <br> (line
                break) tag after product info, and after the first two items. Take
                these out and that should fix it. Thanks.

                Oops, you didn't change pack cloth. Well, the OED says pack-cloth;
                however both that, packcloth and pack cloth seem to be in currency, so
                take your pick. I would personally say either of the first two are
                preferable but this seems in fact a style issue.

                Otherwise, looks great. I've created a directory for your review at

                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Animal%20Companion%20Gear/Dog%20Packs/Wolf%20Packs%20Reflector/

                or

                http://tinyurl.com/5vhq8

                Please upload your HTML file to this, being sure to mark the "Owner
                Review" button in the upload dialogue.

                You may also find it useful to make use of the test upload folder at
                Reviews>Test or http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/test to test
                your upload one last time before uploading the review to its new home.

                As this is your second approved review and if you have submitted a
                Tester Agreement which has been acknowledged, you are now eligible to
                participate in the testing process by applying for tests. Further
                details at
                http://www.backpackgeartest.org/lesson.php?lesson=BecomeTester&page=9

                You will also need to join (if you have not already done so):

                This is where everything related to Tests and Testing takes place.
                However, please don't stop writing Owner Reviews. The more Owner
                Reviews you write, the better you will get at report writing and
                this won't go unnoticed when Test Moderators are choosing testers.

                Thanks once more for the work you've put in on your two Owner Reviews,

                Good Luck!

                Ted

                BGT OR Editor