Dawn's First Post

  • dawnhark
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
      Hello to the list. I joined last week and have been reading ever
      since--what thoughtful, interesting, and detailed reviews you write!
      Manufacturers and retailers take note: As a result of reading
      BackpackGearTest reports, I have added several new items to my gotta-
      have-it gear wish list, including the Hennessy Hammock, the
      SilShelter, and the Muttluks.

      A bit about me: I am 46 years old and have lived in South Lake Tahoe
      for most of the past 35 years. Over the years I have engaged in
      downhill and crosscountry skiing, sailing, canoeing, car camping,
      hiking, fishing, and backpacking. I now mostly walk and snowshoe
      during the winter, with the occasional xc ski outing; I have done no
      snow camping in recent years.

      I spend the other three seasons outdoors most of the time, walking
      and hiking and camping and backpacking in the Tahoe area, western
      Nevada, and the rest of the High Sierra. My dog Jesse always
      accompanies me and has expressed particular interest in the Muttluks
      due to a very unfortunate incident in Desolation Wilderness involving
      too many miles on raw granite...

      With your permission, I would like to submit owner reports on at
      least two of the following items: Stabilicers (like studded snow
      tires that strap onto your boots, more cleat than crampon); Vasque
      Arctic winter hiking boots; Lowa ATC Tempest light hikers--do we
      detect a foot fetish here?--LLBean windshirt; Northface parka; Crazy
      Creek chair; MSR Pocket Rocket...gee, better stop here, I have more
      stuff than I realized.

      Looking forward to interacting with the group. Cheers, and Happy New
      Year!

      Best,
      Dawn Harkins
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001

        They all sound good to me. When writing reports on boots or clothing please include you’re relevant sizes and their sizing peculiarities (run large, small, wide, etc.). You write and post them and, assuming they are up to our standards (Man, that sounded snooty, but it’s true) we’ll make folders for them. BTW, where did you hear about BGT and what prompted you to join?

        Jerry

        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
          Okay, I'm off to write my first owner report--on "Stabilicers." Will
          post when done. As to where I heard of BGT, hmmm, lemme think...Oh
          yeah, at Christmas my brother-in-law showed me a pair of boots he
          field tested and then got to keep. It was something I'd never thought
          much about before, so I Googled the concept and found You.

          I must admit to being a bit intimidated by the depth and
          professionalism of some of the reports, especially the GPS/mapping
          software thingies and the really scientific one on the MSR Pocket
          Rocket--really, I quailed in my boots and almost didn't join...But
          then I kept reading and found many equally well-written reports that
          were less technical and more my style (ie, anecdotal), and some of
          the testers seem like regular non-extreme recreational types who just
          have a need to be outdoors as much as possible, like me, so...

          Dawn, pleased to be here.

          PS: For the record, I do like Reading the technical reports,
          but Writing them is another matter... ;~)

          --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jerry Goller" <geartester@m...> wrote:

          > ...BTW, where did you hear about BGT and what prompted you to join?
          >
          > Jerry
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001

            Outstanding! As you’ve seen, we get all types of reports. As long as they are well written and convey the needed information, they are free form. That’s the part I like the most, so many different styles and so many different approaches. Welcome aboard. BTW, do you remember what you typed into Google to get us?

            Jerry

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001
              Boy, you really like to place unreasonable demands on the ol' brain
              cells, Jerry...(strains brain)...now that I think further upon it, I
              do believe my first Google entry was "product testing," which turned
              up all kids of stuff, mostly not related to what I was looking for.
              (Okay, all right, I admit it, I did sign up to test kitchen and
              gardening gadgets!)

              So, then I decided to get specific about my interests--I vaguely
              recall checking a couple magazines (Outside, Backpacker), a few
              manufacturers (REI, Northface I think), and at some point stumbling
              upon you and a couple of other groups (Lite Backpacker and Gear
              Review). Sorry I can't dredge up anything more specific--if it ever
              comes to me I'll let you know. I did think it was a bit ironic that
              I've had a Yahoo email address for years and never even took a peek
              at the groups...

              Dawn

              --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "Jerry Goller" <geartester@m...> wrote:

              <snips>...BTW, do you remember what you typed into Google to get us?

              > Jerry
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 30, 2001

                Thanks for the info.

                Jerry

                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 31, 2001
                  South Lake Tahoe! Will you be my friend? :-)

                  Welcome Dawn, and by all means share your footware and other reports.
                  Participating on the list is a lot of fun--this group is simply the
                  best.

                  --Rick (stuck in Sacramento)

                  --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "dawnhark" <dawnhark@y...> wrote:
                  > Hello to the list. I joined last week and have been reading ever
                  > since--what thoughtful, interesting, and detailed reviews you
                  write!
                  > Manufacturers and retailers take note: As a result of reading
                  > BackpackGearTest reports, I have added several new items to my
                  gotta-
                  > have-it gear wish list, including the Hennessy Hammock, the
                  > SilShelter, and the Muttluks.
                  >
                  > A bit about me: I am 46 years old and have lived in South Lake
                  Tahoe
                  > for most of the past 35 years. Over the years I have engaged in
                  > downhill and crosscountry skiing, sailing, canoeing, car camping,
                  > hiking, fishing, and backpacking. I now mostly walk and snowshoe
                  > during the winter, with the occasional xc ski outing; I have done
                  no
                  > snow camping in recent years.
                  >
                  > I spend the other three seasons outdoors most of the time, walking
                  > and hiking and camping and backpacking in the Tahoe area, western
                  > Nevada, and the rest of the High Sierra. My dog Jesse always
                  > accompanies me and has expressed particular interest in the
                  Muttluks
                  > due to a very unfortunate incident in Desolation Wilderness
                  involving
                  > too many miles on raw granite...
                  >
                  > With your permission, I would like to submit owner reports on at
                  > least two of the following items: Stabilicers (like studded snow
                  > tires that strap onto your boots, more cleat than crampon); Vasque
                  > Arctic winter hiking boots; Lowa ATC Tempest light hikers--do we
                  > detect a foot fetish here?--LLBean windshirt; Northface parka;
                  Crazy
                  > Creek chair; MSR Pocket Rocket...gee, better stop here, I have more
                  > stuff than I realized.
                  >
                  > Looking forward to interacting with the group. Cheers, and Happy
                  New
                  > Year!
                  >
                  > Best,
                  > Dawn Harkins
                • dawnhark
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
                    Hi Rick--a new friend is always welcome! At least Sacracmento isn't
                    too far away from heaven, er, I mean, the mountains...

                    Dawn, not gloating (very much)

                    -----------------------------------

                    --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:

                    > South Lake Tahoe! Will you be my friend? :-)
                    > Welcome Dawn, and by all means share your footware and other
                    reports.
                    > Participating on the list is a lot of fun--this group is simply the
                    > best.
                    >
                    > --Rick (stuck in Sacramento)
                  • Barb
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002
                      Rick,
                      Stuck in Sacramento is NO way like being stuck in Lodi..........g   No traffic!
                      Sorry, please give me a monitor job, Jerry............I am bored to tears........
                      Barb

                      --- In BackpackGearTest@y..., "redbike64" <richard.dreher@j...> wrote:

                      > South Lake Tahoe! Will you be my friend? :-)
                      > Welcome
                      Dawn, and by all means share your footware and other
                      reports.

                      Participating on the list is a lot of fun--this group is simply the

                      best.

                      > --Rick (stuck in Sacramento)

                    • Jerry Goller
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 1, 2002

                        LOL…that shouldn’t be much of a problem much longer. There is always plenty of activity after a show.

                        Jerry