OR - Macpac Microlight Tent

  • ajhoette
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2005
      This review has changed since last approval to upload. The changes
      were those pointed out in another owner review editing cycle. For the
      sake of consistancy I have implemented these in this owner review.

      Macpac Microlight Tent

      Product Information

      Macpac Wilderness Equipment Limited

      Year of Manufacture

      circa 2000

      Microlight fly

      0.6 kg (1.32 lb)

      0.8 kg (1.76 lb)

      Pole Set

      0.2 kg (0.44 lb)

      0.2 kg (0.44 lb)

      Remaining parts

      0.1 kg (0.22 lb)

      In use weight

      1.7 kg (3.74 lb)(Nothing more than minimum required to pitch the tent.)

      Total Weight

      1.9 kg (4.19 lb)(Complete all parts.)

      My In Use Weight

      2.1 kg (4.63 lb, Soehnle kitchen scales)

      Fly Footprint

      2200 mm x 1000 mm (86.6" x 39.4")

      Inner Footprint

      1800 mm x 1300 mm (70.9" x 51.2")

      Floor Area

      2.0 m^2 (2.4 yd^2)

      Vestibule Area

      0.8 m^2 (0.9 yd^2)

      Rolled Size

      40 cm x 12 cm (15.8" x 4.7")

      All measurements are supplied by manufacturer unless otherwise specified.

      Product Description

      The Macpac Microlight comes rolled up in its stuff sac. In this are
      the fly, guide lines,
      pegs in bag, pole in bag, inner/floor, instructions, seam sealer,
      repair kit. This is a
      "three season" and "multi-pitch" tent. This means the tent can be
      used without problems
      in all but the most extreme weather conditions, and that it can be
      erected in many
      configurations, fly only, inner/floor only, or combined fly with

      Six aluminium hard ground pegs fix the fly to the ground, and two
      guide lines may also
      be used. This tent requires pegs as it will not stay pitched on its
      own. The pole is
      hollow aluminium telescopic type with elastic line through. The floor
      is a "tub"
      polyurethane coated nylon variety, seam sealed via tape, and sewn on
      are the tent inner
      walls. These consist of white/cream wind resistant nylon fabric. The
      entrance consists of
      "no see um" or "fly wire" ventilation fabric. Webbing buckles are
      attached to the floor
      peg points and the fly peg points, hoop and loop fabrics are fixed to
      the fly inside and
      the inner/floor outside. The repair kit contains a pole repair sleeve
      and patches of each
      of the tents fabrics ( three pieces ), except the entrance side
      ventilation fabric. The
      seam sealer is water based type in a bottle with an applicator nozzle.

      General pitching of the Microlight may be done in number of
      combinations, due to its
      "multi-pitch" design. I used the inner alone, placing the pole
      through the loops at the
      top and pegging down each corner at the strap. With the fly alone the
      pole slips inside
      a sleeve present along the entire top seam of the fly, then pegging
      the corner and middle
      elastic cord loops down. When pitching the combined fly and inner, I
      went about combining
      either fly first or inner first.

      Image Macpac Microlight Parts
      Subtext My Macpac Microlight tent parts

      Field Experience

      Cape To Cape Track. It did not rain while I walked this track in the
      spring, mainly coastal
      heath and beaches with occasional forest walking. It is also a windy
      environment when exposed
      to the ocean, the tent holds up well with only a minimum of flapping
      if pitched properly. I
      used the pole arc as a fin and aimed it into the wind. I took the
      complete tent on this walk,
      I always needed the inner for protection from mosquitos, and it could
      have rained during a night.

      Bibbulmun Track, Northcliff to Walpole section. The tent was used as
      an backup shelter if
      there was a problem at one of the huts along the way, in the sections
      walked. I used it the
      first night in a designated clearing close to the hut, in forest. It
      rained constantly through
      the night, I pitched the tent in combined format. The rain ran off
      the fly and onto the ground
      without problems and drained into the soil, ventilation was fine in
      the cool conditions 14 C
      ( 57 F ). The extractor vent worked well to minimise condensation,
      but some remained. I'm glad
      the weight of the tent is low, as it is annoying to carry something
      I'm unlikely to use. This
      tent will also allow 2 persons, but it is a tight squeeze.

      Bicycle Touring in Germany. Not backpacking/walking, but I used the
      tent most days over a
      three month period and here is where it was tested most. Rain was
      constant for weeks, light
      usually, and pitching a taught and properly aligned fly was important.
      The tub floor was
      very useful here, as some much rain on muddy ground caused puddle to
      form under the tent.
      There was no problem of water leaking in either through the fly or the
      floor, although
      condensation did build up, but not enough to cause any problems. The
      vestibule offered an
      excellent area to accommodate my gear. Once I'm in the tent, it is
      comfortable for me to remain
      for the entire night, and possibly afternoon. Pitching the tent in
      the rain was a common ritual,
      first the fly, then put gear and myself under and clip in the optional
      ground sheet and inner,
      much better than sorting things in the rain. In the morning as much
      water was wiped off the fly
      with a sponge, the fabrics are very quick drying. Packing the tent
      wet and drying as soon as
      possible never presented a problem. This tent was ideal for the
      varied weather encountered, hot,
      dry, wet and cool.

      I find tents are best used when the weather is adverse to more minimal
      setups, as they offer
      complete shelter, also a measure of privacy in camping sites. This
      tent performs very well in
      these situations.

      Product Summary

      This is a low weight, low volume, three season, single person shelter.
      The design is simple and

      Flexibility is a key asset of this tent. Easy to erect and with
      choices offered by the "multi-pitch"
      design, allows for both lowering the weight and volume when certain
      parts are not required. Providing
      shelter fast, with ability to be comfortable for longer periods in
      adverse weather conditions.
      Being able to open the whole entrance panel on the inner/floor and
      unzip the fly is very convenient.

      There is a problem with ventilation in hot or even warm conditions.
      The extractor vent is only adequate,
      and will minimise condensation mostly. I became uncomfortably hot as
      air flow became too restricted
      many times, this occurs when the door is closed to restrict insects.
      The ventilation fabric does not
      cover enough of the entrance panel with wind resistant fabric,
      impeding air flow. If it was wet I had
      to wipe the tent down and allow it to dry as soon as possible.
      Getting in pegs also can be a problem.

      I need a tent that is flexible enough to cope with a wide range of
      weather conditions, this tent fits
      the requirement.

      * Quality of material and construction.
      * Weight and volume.
      * Performance of materials.

      * Ventilation is restricted.

      Biographical Information

      Aaron Joseph Hoette

      172 cm (5'7")

      58.0 kg (127.9 lb)

      Email Address

      City, State, Country

      Perth, Western Australia, Australia.

      5th Feburary 2005

      Backpacking Experience/Background

      My home location is Perth, Western Australia. I have bushwalked for
      approximately five years,
      on trips of varying lengths. Areas include The South West and Pilbara
      regions of Western
      Australia and the Blue Mountains of New South Wales. My walks have
      always been one to two weeks
      long, which allows me to travel about 100 kilometers ( 60 miles ) per
      week easily, so far,
      always on marked trails. My pack weight is usually under 13 kg (28
      lb), and I generally try to
      get away with as little gear as possible but remain comfortable.